If you were going to buy one Russian.... - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:29 PM
JCIII

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you were going to buy one Russian....

I know it’s a loaded question but if you had to choose just one “obtainable” Russian, based on accuracy, which one would you choose?

Based on overall rifle, “performance”, feel, quality, etc., what would you buy if different than first question?

Thanks for any offered opinions.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:56 PM
Gobber
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good question and I would ask- what do you want to do with it?

Bench rest, field target, plinking, general target shooting, hunting, etc...

Maybe give three most desirable attributes.

Example - My preference is for a fast cycling bolt gun as a suppressor host that is easily carried. That's the basic biathlon.

So what's your fancy?
Old 10-15-2019, 03:14 PM
USGuy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCIII View Post
If you were going to buy one Russian....
Russian's are not for sale!

If I were going to buy one rifle made in Russia, I would buy one made in USSR and another of such, and another .... for every occasion. Why? - main material is steel. No aluminum, no plastic, great engineering, quality control, durability. Examples are still in use: all line of TOZ 8-17, Ural 1, 2, ...5, 6; CM-2; BI-6; МЦ-12 (Mts-12); Taiga, Typhon, Mosin rifle and carbine, SKS, AK-47, SVT-40. This cover 100-50 years old pieces are still in perfect working condition and still on the active market for trade. Unfortunately it is getting more and more harder to find them in such condition, but not impossible yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2019, 08:06 PM
JCIII

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can't imagine me carrying anything other my two CZ 452 Americans in the woods squirrel hunting, which suit me perfectly so I would probably rank my preference/goals as a .22lr rifle that will mostly play on the bench/general target shooting, with accuracy being of paramount importance, preferred stock something of similar shape as a Sako range (vertical, non-pistol grip). I too can appreciate the craftsmanship and engineering from the steel that has come from the USSR, I have a few guns and knives that while not as "pretty" as top end US pieces, are equal or better performers, more durable and designed better than most.

I know "Russians" are hard to find but just have an interest based on ones I've seen (not for sale) and posts here on this forum. Just looking for some guidance on "non-hen's teeth" models.

Thanks for your help
Old 10-16-2019, 10:14 AM
Thomasconnor

TPC Rating: 
100% (76)
The toggle action rules. 7-2, 7-3, 7-4...A poor man's Fortner Action. With the advantage of not being a heavy porker like the Anschutz Fortner Sporter rifles.

Nice enough that I modified my Biathlon Basic stock (not that it was necessary) and re-stocked my 7-3...Tom

Old 10-16-2019, 10:53 AM
USGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCIII View Post
... I would probably rank my preference/goals as a .22lr rifle that will mostly play on the bench/general target shooting, with accuracy being of paramount importance, .....
In this case I would recommend to direct your attention to CM-2 rifle. Modern days production are reported to be very capable and often available on GB for sale in new/almost new condition. For around $500 you can get yourself good tool for your practice. I would stay away from CM-2 Cadet as it has a shorter barrel and good for kids.
Any URAL would be a next choice for more serious game. You will be lucky if able to get one without need to repair. Those are very capable still.
For very serious competitive shooting МЦ-12 (MU-12, Mts-12) or something like so should be a good choice. Not very often for sale and priced abooove $1000.
Good luck!
Old 10-16-2019, 12:16 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
CM-2s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000345 CM-2s.JPG (224.1 KB, 10 views)

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Old 10-16-2019, 04:59 PM
Topstrap44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a few and all shoot unbelievably good, I'd not feel undergunned taking any of them to any of our local longrange matches. I liked the Vostok CM-2s until I got a Ural-2 which is my favorite and go to gun for any peep sight matches but have been playing with a newly stocked Biathalon for PRS style shooting. Just added a video in this section a bit ago. Any and all of them I have are real shooters, they didn't waste money on stocks or looks but they put it all where it needs to be, in their mechanics, actions and barrels. All have super triggers and aren't real picky with ammo, lately I've been using cheap Geco Rifle at the matches and unless it gets above high 80 deg in temp it shoots great.

The Biathalon is a nice gun but for me it was a bit short and felt like a kids gun, the new chassis turned it into one of my favorites now. The Vostok CM-2 and Ural-2 are close but I like the Ural a tad better, I put an Anschutz peep sight on it for farther distances at our longrange matches since it maxed out about 165 yards and added an adjustable butt stock to fit better. If you decide on a Biathalon make SURE it has at least two magazines and preferably a 10 rounder since they are rare and hard to find as hens teeth for sale. I bought a complete extra gun just to get the 5 10 round magazines it had.

Better grab one quick though, shooters are discovering how good they shoot and you don't see them pop up very often for sale.

Topstrap

Last edited by Topstrap44; 10-16-2019 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:31 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have to be careful of those Russians they will ditch you once they have their green card.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:04 PM
JCIII

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks guys, really appreciate the great input. Now I have enough info to continue my research and I have a better idea how to word my GB searches.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:58 PM
midwest swiss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For a pure target rifle hard too beat a CM-2 or a good used Ural.
My CM-2.

A biathlon basic could be a do all rifle, range target rifle or a nice hunting rifle.
Mine is my iron sight target rifle now, but have taken it hunting.

Also have a TOZ 78-01 that is one of my main hunting rifles.

I have had my Russian made rifles for over 10 years and the all are very reliable,
not ammo fussy and all have very nice triggers.

Last edited by midwest swiss; 10-16-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:35 PM
JCIII

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Midwest, that first pic is the prototype I’m looking for.