Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:00 PM
Horsehead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New from North Carolina

Hey everyone and thanks for the welcome.

I'm Jeff from Greensboro, NC and am excited to be getting into shooting sports with more intentionality than my previous endeavors in back yard plinking...

I've shot pretty much since I was old enough to hold a bb gun but I haven't really spent a lot of time working on skills or precision or anything. I've mostly just plinked around the back yard and in the squirrel woods.

Recently I made up my mind to finally get a .22 that would be more capable than just busting clay pigeons or tin cans. So I ordered a CZ455 trainer with the intention of putting a nice set of peep sights on it and seeing what all I could do. Up till now 99% of my shooting has been done with iron sights. In fact, I have only ever owned one gun that had a scope, and that's my deer rifle.

Anyways, while I'm waiting on the CZ to come in to the gun store, I stumbled across precision rimfire challenges, specifically the nrl22. Lo and behold, there was one coming up at a range about 30 minutes from my house in just a few days. I reached out to the organization and asked if I could come watch. Of course they said, but if you watch you're going to want to shoot, so bring a rifle with you just in case. So I did. My Henry .22 with iron sights.

Seeing the course and the rifles present, I knew there was no way I'd be able to compete with my gun and had all but determined to just stand around and watch.

Then two gentlemen pulled me aside and started asking me lots of questions. How did I find out about the competition? Had I ever shot one before? Would I like to shoot one of their guns and see how it felt? Then the really cool part, one of them, Tracy offered to let me use his gun to enter the match if I'd like, as he'd brought two that day. I was floored at his generosity! He gave me two boxes of ammo and walked me through the entire event.

Needless to say I had an incredible time. And I was hooked. Shooting at that match added a component of difficulty, well, more like 20 levels, as well as enjoyment.

So I called the gun store and asked if there was any way I could somehow change my order, as I really hated the idea of taking a rifle designed for excelling at iron sights and turning it into a scoped competition rifle. The folks at the store were very understanding and helped me to get a more appropriate rifle on the way.

While I waited on my new-new rifle to arrive, I scoured the internet for suggestions on getting set up for nrl22 and similar precision rimfire matches. I also got a lot of great info from Tracy. So by the time the new rifle arrived, I had the scope, rings, DIP rail, sling, and bipod all waiting for their host.

I picked it up on Saturday and already have about 4-500 rounds through it. I never would've imagined precision rimfire shooting was even a thing, much less something I would be getting so heavily involved in! But I sure am glad I discovered it!!

Thanks again Tracy for all your help and support!!!

The setup:
CZ455 tacticool 16.5"
Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50 MILs
DIP 25 MOA rail with Burris Tactical rings
UTG bipod
Magpul RLS Sling

Getting the scope mounted.

Getting it sighted in...

Shooting some groups at 50 yards, testing ammo...

Cherry picking my best group of the day.

Getting my boys in on the fun.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Horsehead; 10-08-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:05 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Congratulations on your new found passion, I'm guessing you shot at Rockingham Co., some fine folks up there.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:19 PM
Tailwheel
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Welcome aboard! That's an awesome story. I've not been able to get to a match around here yet but i've been "getting ready" by getting my kit all gathered up and sighted in. Hopefully i'll find a match to watch and learn close by.

Enjoy your time here in the CZ forum. It's a hoot and don't forget, you can't shoot a 401K account so bust it out and enjoy it while you can.

Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 03:46 PM
BamaPride

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In the same boat

Went to a match in Mebane last month just to see what it was all about...it wasnít an NRL match but interesting all the same...having been a CZ pistol fan I quickly jump on board with a CZ 455 Tacticool like yourself...after reading about the different divisions I realized that I was going to have yet another rifle for the other division immediately ordered a CZ455 American...but hey letís not stop there after reading many post on here about the accuracy of the CZ452 I figured why not, just picked it up yesterday...I may not be very good at shooting any of them but Iím having the time of my life burning up 22 Ammo...built me a know your limit rack, what a blast shooting it...I started out at 25 yds and realized very quickly that wasnít much of a challenge so moved back to 50 yds...going to 100 yds next but I have to change my membership at local gun range...who says shooting 22 is cheaper
Old 10-08-2019, 04:36 PM
hickorynut
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaPride View Post
...who says shooting 22 is cheaper
I don't know, but he was not being truthful! I've been saving my .22 empties and at a scrap yard clean brass is worth 90 cents a pound, a five gallon bucket full is worth about $33.00, I've sold 3 buckets this year, see, I'm thrifty!
The more you shoot the more you'll enjoy it, you'll be broke,,but smiling..lol
Old 10-08-2019, 05:22 PM
USCGret
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad to meet ya Horsehead. Welcome Aboard RFC.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:25 PM
tntmx9

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome to the forum Jeff! I had a great time helping you and hope you enjoy shooting as much as I do.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:30 PM
Rmeintel
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congrats on a new found hobby. I have a 457 ProVarmint set up like yours. I’ve never been to a NRL match but have watched plenty of videos about shooting them.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:32 PM
Rmeintel
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Went to a match in Mebane last month just to see what it was all about...it wasn’t an NRL match but interesting all the same...having been a CZ pistol fan I quickly jump on board with a CZ 455 Tacticool like yourself...after reading about the different divisions I realized that I was going to have yet another rifle for the other division immediately ordered a CZ455 American...but hey let’s not stop there after reading many post on here about the accuracy of the CZ452 I figured why not, just picked it up yesterday...I may not be very good at shooting any of them but I’m having the time of my life burning up 22 Ammo...built me a know your limit rack, what a blast shooting it...I started out at 25 yds and realized very quickly that wasn’t much of a challenge so moved back to 50 yds...going to 100 yds next but I have to change my membership at local gun range...who says shooting 22 is cheaper
Shooting 22 is kind of like reloading your own ammo. You don’t save any money but you get to shoot a lot more.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:32 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
New from North Carolina

Quote:
Went to a match in Mebane last month just to see what it was all about...it wasnít an NRL match but interesting all the same...having been a CZ pistol fan I quickly jump on board with a CZ 455 Tacticool like yourself...after reading about the different divisions I realized that I was going to have yet another rifle for the other division immediately ordered a CZ455 American...but hey letís not stop there after reading many post on here about the accuracy of the CZ452 I figured why not, just picked it up yesterday...I may not be very good at shooting any of them but Iím having the time of my life burning up 22 Ammo...built me a know your limit rack, what a blast shooting it...I started out at 25 yds and realized very quickly that wasnít much of a challenge so moved back to 50 yds...going to 100 yds next but I have to change my membership at local gun range...who says shooting 22 is cheaper

DPRC is my home club

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-08-2019, 07:27 PM
tntmx9

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Quote:
Went to a match in Mebane last month just to see what it was all about...it wasn’t an NRL match but interesting all the same...having been a CZ pistol fan I quickly jump on board with a CZ 455 Tacticool like yourself...after reading about the different divisions I realized that I was going to have yet another rifle for the other division immediately ordered a CZ455 American...but hey let’s not stop there after reading many post on here about the accuracy of the CZ452 I figured why not, just picked it up yesterday...I may not be very good at shooting any of them but I’m having the time of my life burning up 22 Ammo...built me a know your limit rack, what a blast shooting it...I started out at 25 yds and realized very quickly that wasn’t much of a challenge so moved back to 50 yds...going to 100 yds next but I have to change my membership at local gun range...who says shooting 22 is cheaper

DPRC is my home club

I have been to DPRC several times. It is a very nice place and friendly people. I enjoy going over there, well worth the drive.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:48 PM
Horsehead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
DPRC is my home club

I'll be there Sunday for the 22 shoot!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2019, 05:53 AM
gmd1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
I don't compete, so avoid the place on weekends, we have nice facilities and quite a few opportunities even for non club members.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:27 AM
StevieNH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome Jeff! It looks like you got some good advice to get started and you'll find a lot more here on RFC.

I especially like the picture of your boy shooting right over the sandbox. "Dad, I won't be playing there anymore!" That's gonna cost you a few more rifles, though.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:10 AM
CaptBill252

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Get your money right.
Looks like you are going to buy a few more rifles for the boys. Dad.!!

I'm in New Bern.
I've got some where to go this week end or I would be in Greensboro.
With the At-One.

Welcome, Horsehead.
You'll like this place.
You have caught the sickness.
I have.