Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:58 PM
Blue50F-1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1890 Frankenmystery

Hey guys, first post here. Looking for a little info to solve a mystery on a recently acquired 1890.
Serial number on the tang says this 1890 was produced in 1902. The barrel says it came from a model 74 S/L/LR. Carrier cycles shorts, longs, and LR’s the same without issue.
However the firing pin hits high at about 11 o’clock. So high that it deforms the rim of the case but doesn’t consistently ignite the charge within. **I should note that the bolt is fully seated, and does not sit proud of the receiver when slid into battery.
The pin appears to be in good shape, and the carrier appears to be in original condition.
So, here is my question. Is it possible for a WRF carrier to cycle S/L/LR? And could having a WRF bolt be the cause of the high hitting firing pin?
I just don’t know enough about these old rifles and the 22 variants to know for sure.

Long term, I want to swap out the barrel for something period correct and enjoy the rifle as a shooter. Getting the right barrel is the key. The slide grip appears original but I’m not confident about the stock which is in pretty rough shape.

Thanks in advance for your insights. I’ll try and post pics if I can sort that out here.

Blessings,
Jim
Old 09-30-2019, 06:46 PM
lefty222
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Can you post pictures of the bolt face and rim of fired cases?
Was this rifle originally a 22 WRF and someone changed the barrel to a standard 22lr?
What did this rifle start as 22WRF?
Some will give you the answer, l have Model 61 in 22 WRM and it will cycle 22 LR. never tried firing it.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:36 PM
Egriv

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you look on the front of the receiver, It may be stamped WRF, or someone used a WRF bolt in a standard receiver when they changed the barrel. The cartridge lifter is either out of a 1906 or a 62 if it cycles and feeds Shorts, longs and long rifles. If it were a WRF lifter the shells would double feed and jam every time. The barrel has obviously been changed. If you want to make the rifle "right" you will end up putting more into it than your end product will be worth.

Erin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2019, 08:21 AM
Blue50F-1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pics are on my phone and there’s no option to insert an image in a post or reply. Maybe because I just registered? (I know other forums that require a post count before images can be shared)
I’ll test an image link here and see if that works.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:41 AM
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Numrich GPC has barrels, $109. And Numrich and a few other sources have buttstocks.
Not sure why your pin is hitting so high, maybe it's the pin you have ?
I'd order another firing pin when you order a barrel, they aren't very expensive.
When you did get the issue sorted out, you'll have a spare pin.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:08 PM
wundudnee
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I acquired one of those frankenchesters many years ago at a garage sale for $12.00. It was put together from two different serial #s, a WRF receiver and a Marlin Short, Long and Long Rifle barrel. The old guy was very adamant that I knew it was chambered WRF. I carried it behind the seat of my pickup for years. It shoots like a laser. I have never removed the S, L, LR barrel markings so It would confuse any future owners. I need to do that. It's amazing how much can be done with these old rifles in their 130 year history.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:26 PM
Blue50F-1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I picked this "frankenchester" up for pretty darn cheap as well. When it does shoot, it shoots straight and true.

Hopefully here are some pics to share (see if the laptop does any better)

[IMG][/IMG]

I don't have a pic of one of the cases at the moment, I will have to dig one out and snap one when I get a chance.

Thanks!

Last edited by Blue50F-1; 10-01-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:04 PM
Blue50F-1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can anybody tell me what the stamping on the face of the receiver means? 9 Walmart 14 ???