Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:37 AM
*Rim-Star*

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thoughts on Accuracy

Would like to get your opinions on what kind of average accuracy I should get from this set up at 25 yards.

Ruger 10/22 with 19" GM heavy taper
Que Bolt - Head spaced ,pinned
Factory carbine stock thats bedded/floated w/pressure pad
Kidd Guide rod and spring
1-3/4 lb trigger
16x scope
CCI Standard Velocity

You input appreciated, the groups I am getting right now are averaging .200" for several 5 shot groups, most going into the mid 1's and a few as much as .250"
Old 09-24-2019, 10:20 AM
Jammer22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I dint think anyone can answer that question. While 10/22's can be made to shoot accurately it's not in their DNA unless you put some work into them and you as a shooter.

I think the better question is "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?" Practice Practice Practice
Old 09-24-2019, 10:36 AM
*Rim-Star*

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer22 View Post
I dint think anyone can answer that question. While 10/22's can be made to shoot accurately it's not in their DNA unless you put some work into them and you as a shooter.

I think the better question is "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?" Practice Practice Practice
I have practiced for many years...just not with a 10/22. I dont know really what to expect from them the way I have this one set up.....just asking what others get from their similar set ups with the ammo I used
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2019, 12:04 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Sounds pretty good Rim-Star but 25 yards isn't much of a challenge. Stretch her legs out to 50 or even 100 and see how the variables start stacking up. If you can keep groups under 1 MOA I'd say you've got a real winner.

Love those Green Mountain barrels!

Frank
Old 09-24-2019, 07:08 PM
*Rim-Star*

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
Sounds pretty good Rim-Star but 25 yards isn't much of a challenge. Stretch her legs out to 50 or even 100 and see how the variables start stacking up. If you can keep groups under 1 MOA I'd say you've got a real winner.

Love those Green Mountain barrels!

Frank
Thank you Frank, the reason for 25 yards is thats all I can get where I shoot and I see some 25 yard games here....from what I have seen I am about where some are in the accuracy dept, but not quite, some of those guns in the Super Stock are really accurate
Old 09-24-2019, 08:08 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
17" GM HT, factory sporter stock w/ pressure pad, kidd trigger kit, que bolt with kidd FP, burris 4.4-14 timberline, cci sv at 25y

it shoots even better with SK and eley.

on the right

Old 09-24-2019, 08:39 PM
*Rim-Star*

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem-E View Post
17" GM HT, factory sporter stock w/ pressure pad, kidd trigger kit, que bolt with kidd FP, burris 4.4-14 timberline, cci sv at 25y

on the right

Great target Clem....mine are almost that good......thank you for posting that
Old 09-24-2019, 08:44 PM
Basstar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem-E View Post

on the right

Clem-E those are beautiful rifles and I'm smitten with the Sporter stocks and have some questions as I'm considering something similar.

How much did you have to relieve the stock to install that barrel?

Also, since is it tapered, how difficult was it to relieve the tapered channel?

Lastly, how did you reseal the stock?

My thanks if you're willing to offer your input.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:32 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Its been a while but think I used 5/8" and 9/16 long sockets and wrapped 220 grit around it. took about 20 minutes because i was trying to keep the look like factory. it didnt take a lot of sanding up closer to the action, i just sanded evenly in an area, checked it with the barrelled action often. just go slow. it wasnt hard. i just masked everything except the channel off and sealed it with some thompsons spray, or similar. even with the sockets, i didnt have get toward top of the barrel channel with the paper, so inside the barrel channel it doesnt exactly match the finish ; but you cant tell with the rifle together. i always liked the LVT, I just wanted a shorter barrel.

Last edited by Clem-E; 09-24-2019 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:38 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rimstar , that’s pretty darn good. Buy better ammo. Try different torque settings and move the pressure pad around. You’ll find the sweet spot:

Basstar. It’s easy to sand out the barrel channel on a sporter , piece of heavy grit paper a 7/8 and 3/4 inch wooden dowels or socket heads and start at the back end and go forward lighten up as you go,switch to the smaller one when appropriate put the barrel in frequently and you’ll be done in in 20 minutes. Remember your free floating this barrel so a little extra room doesn’t hurt.
As for sealing , a coat of true oil , or linseed oil is fine, just let it dry!

All of these are sporter type stocks , the first one is a LVT stock, all had to be sanded out for the GM barrels, including the Running Boar and the the 20 inch Standard Taper.

Just remember when you do this the receiver lug becomes the fulcrum, that’s why people end up using pressure pads. So leaving it a little tight in the channel just in front of the receiver isn’t bad

PS , they all shoot great , but the best shooter so far is the Running Boar!

Last edited by Toomany22s; 11-24-2019 at 02:23 AM.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:13 AM
Basstar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Clem-E and Toomany I thank you. I love the Sporter stocks as I mentioned and have a LVT that I won’t sell. I’d never considered a shorter tapered stock in lieu of a bull barrel. It’s an excellent idea IMHO. For 90% of most shooting applications I’m thinking the HT barrel will shoot right along with a bull barrel with good looks and less weight. BTW. How are you creating the pressure pad up front? I’ve watched Cavedweller’s videos on how he beds a rifle but those have been bolt actions. Again thanks.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:19 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got a bicycle inner tube and cut little triangles or squares and glue them in. Or Iíll sometimes use little pieces of aluminum tape.or both. For finding the sweet spot I have a longer piece of tone that I can grab with both hands and after loosening the action screw I can slide it up and down the barrel channel with out pulling the action out. Then re tighten the screw and test. Not perfect , but Iím lazy, and donít lie taking guns apart at the ange.have lost pins that way, I use boot glue cause itís sticky but not permanent.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:57 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
my GM 17" HT outshoots my wifes SS 20" kidd bull barrel regulary. and that 20 is a 1/2 MOA at 50y barrel. the only 10/22 barrel the GM hasnt been able to outshoot is the old stainless 16.5" kidd bull barrel i bought used for $120. that thing regularly out shoots it, but not by much.

this is where i 'bed' the barrel on my wifes kidd SS barrel. with the GM i have the pad as far forward toward the muzzle as i can get it in the channel.

Last edited by Clem-E; 09-25-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:28 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thatís funny about the Ruger barrel, I have a stainless std taper 18 1/2 carbine barrel, that when in the Tupperware stock, one I put the barrel band back on shot way better than it should . Once I put into a manlicher stock shot even better.

Last edited by Toomany22s; 11-24-2019 at 02:23 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:35 PM
Basstar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Rimstar , thatís pretty darn good. Buy better ammo. Try different torque settings and move the pressure pad around. Youíll find the sweet spot:

Basstar. Itís easy to sand out the barrel channel on a sporter , piece of heavy grit paper a 7/8 and 3/4 inch wooden dowels or socket heads and start at the back end and go forward lighten up as you go,switch to the smaller one when appropriate put the barrel in frequently and youíll be done in in 20 minutes. Remember your free floating this barrel so a little extra room doesnít hurt.
As for sealing , a coat of true oil , or linseed oil is fine, just let it dry!

All of these are sporter type stocks , the first one is a LVT stock, all had to be sanded out for the GM barrels, including the Running Boar and the the 20 inch Standard Taper.

Just remember when you do this the receiver lug becomes the fulcrum, thatís why people end up using pressure pads. So leaving it a little tight in the channel just in front of the receiver isnít bad

PS , they all shoot great , but the best shooter so far is the Running Boar!
Toomany, is the stainless barrel shown in this upper left photo a bull barrel or tapered?

I checked out Rimfire Sports. Thanks for the recommendation.