Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Update Kidd Supergrade, tough day at range

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  dallee 
#1 ·
Well , well. Thanks again so much for all the help and advise from my other post, entitled nearly the same.

I will save the suspense and say this thing can flat out shoot when the guy behind the trigger shoots ok.

My most thought of comment today is: What a difference a better front rest makes. I got one of those Caldwell BR rest quickly sent to me from Amazon. I know there are better ones out there but this gave me leveling and repeatability. It really changed my game.

The wind was really troublesome today. I guess we are still getting the remnants of the winds and clouds from the tropical depression that hit the Houston/Beaumont area. Winds 5-20 MPH, according to forecast on phone, mainly out of the south but variable.

It was extremely hard to get a 5 shot group off without the wind changing speed or direction. When it did, I could get some really nice 5 shot groups.

So today I practiced with the rest, developing a pattern/routing in the shooting and didn't care too much where the shots went in this wind.

All I know is the Kidd gun is a shooter. And a darn good one. Any issues are all me.

Still can't wait for my ammo order to finally arrive here tomorrow with the good stuff.

Anyway, here are a couple pics that showed what was capable when the wind remained steady or died down and what it did when the wind was up and/or variable. I am quite pleased:

Next two things for me:

1. Need a good rear rest now. Any suggestions? My little rice bags are not sufficient.

2. Where do I start learning about the wind and how to read it and attempt to correct for it. I understand now that benchrest shooting is so much more than just a good shooting gun and I have a really long way to go.

Thanks again everyone for all your help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Found and bought a few books on the subject of precision shooting because I too am facing a learning curve. Each one offers its own nugget collection of information and pearls of wisdom from benchrest champions. Look beyond the calibers - and look for the technique. The common thread is long distance accuracy. Most of them are out of print - however searching the internet will help locating used copies.

1. Shooting Times Guide to Accuracy (2017)
2. The Ultimate in Rifle Accuracy (Glenn Newick 1989)
3. Extreme Rifle Accuracy (Mike Ratigan 2007)
4. The Benchrest Shooting Primer (1997)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.