Fitting a 1911 Barrel - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-02-2020, 04:47 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fitting a 1911 Barrel

Well, I screwed up a 9mm 1911 barrel feed ramp on my kimber because 10 round magazines weren't seating right. I wanted to install a 38 super Sig Barrel in the gun I purchased for less than $50. I found the barrel itself dropped in with perfect fit for the hood in the slide and feet on the slide stop. I ordered a link and pin and bench block. I found the ling I purchased was too long and stuck out past the barrel feet so pressurewould be on the link and not the slide stop pin in battery. I reused the original barrel link and the fit seems good with lock up about .050 inch. I inserted a 38 super mag loaded with ammo and the rounds kept sticking half way into the chamber. At first I thought it was the bolt face causing resistance to chambering since the 38 super is slightly fatter at the rim but it would do the same with 9mm luger factory ammo too. So I started polishing the chamber and realized it was VERY ROUGH with a lot of grooves in the chamber. Dimensions of the chamber seem tighter than for a kimber barrel. After repeated polishing and retesting the rounds are pretty much slipping into the chamber but but often need a bit of a nudge still. I think I'm ready to test fire and see if it will break in with a little action!

Any suggestions or cautions I should be watching for?
Old 10-04-2020, 04:51 PM
PicketWire
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Check to make sure there are no burrs around the firing pin opening on the breech face (or anywhere else on breech face area for that matter)

Try removing the extractor to see if feeding smooths out, you may be correct in suspecting the tension may be slightly higher due to the larger 38 super rim diameter

Very lightly break/round the bottom corner of the chamber at the mouth of the barrel where the feed ramp portion of the barrel transitions into the chamber. Don't go too far with this as you don't want to compromise case support.

You may need to finish ream the chamber

Good Luck!
Old 10-22-2020, 04:29 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
PicketWire,

I just wanted to let you know I got the switch barrel working pretty well. I think I need a little bit more break in but both barrels are running 90% plus with just an occasional bump needed for the slide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement