Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:56 PM
rhill
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
new rifle or chassis for current rifle

Looking to get into long range rimfire, and was thinking of a Ruger Precision, but am somewhat leary of that gun, seems hit or miss. Or I could get my Anschutz 1416 d hb with the 5098 trigger setup in an MDT chassis for around 650 bucks. Going to put a SWFA SS scope on it. Is the chassis a better investment than the Ruger, what do you guys think? Any advice welcome!
Old 09-06-2019, 04:59 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
I would get the chassis.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:15 PM
rhill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is what I was leaning towards, the Anschutz is a proven rifle with a great trigger. The only thing that bothers me is I am throwing another 650 at that rifle, hope the chassis is worth the investment, but I have no plans on selling the gun so I suppose if it makes the rifle that much more enjoyable it's money well spent. I am glad I can come here and get help spending my money Does any other manufacturer make a chassis for the 1416? If there is I can't find it, and I have looked with no luck.

Last edited by rhill; 09-06-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2019, 06:27 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhill View Post
I am glad I can come here and get help spending my money

Quote:
Does any other manufacturer make a chassis for the 1416? If there is I can't find it, and I have looked with no luck.
Anschutz North America has (had?) one for the 1710/12 made for them by GRS. I don't know if they have one for the 64 actions or not.

I have an MDT on a CZ. Between that, scope rail, scope, and bipod it doubled or tripled the investment in that rifle.... but it took it out of the safe and gave it a whole new life. Aside from taking bedding issues out of the question it opens up the door to modularity with the butt, grip, fore end attachments, etc. Plus you stop worrying about stock dings.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:42 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post

I have an MDT on a CZ. Between that, scope rail, scope, and bipod it doubled or tripled the investment in that rifle.... but it took it out of the safe and gave it a whole new life. Aside from taking bedding issues out of the question it opens up the door to modularity with the butt, grip, fore end attachments, etc. Plus you stop worrying about stock dings.

I have an MDT on a 1416 AV. Be sure and spend more money and get the MDT adjustable buttstock. Is is nice with adjustable butt plate with adjustable cheek rest. Up your investment! MDT is quality stuff.
Now, that being said, this 1416 does not shoot as well as my stock 64MS
Your milage may vary.
Chris
Old 09-09-2019, 11:09 AM
SillyMike
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you're not in a rush... wait for the MDT Christmas sale.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:59 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Looking to get into long range rimfire, and was thinking of a Ruger Precision, but am somewhat leary of that gun, seems hit or miss.
Ruger continues its tradition of selling 90% finished rifle kits.

I don't own one of these RPRs, and I've never worked on one. I have read about accuracy improving once the mounting in the chassis is remedied. There are also after market barrels and you'll have an ample supply of rugged and reliable magazines.

You may have issues to address with a Ruger, but that solution also leaves your Anschutz intact.

Just a thought.

Last edited by zukiphile; 09-09-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:45 PM
MarkS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Looking to get into long range rimfire, and was thinking of a Ruger Precision, but am somewhat leary of that gun, seems hit or miss. Or I could get my Anschutz 1416 d hb with the 5098 trigger setup in an MDT chassis for around 650 bucks. Going to put a SWFA SS scope on it. Is the chassis a better investment than the Ruger, what do you guys think? Any advice welcome!
You can't go wrong with a Anschutz, But why not something like a Tikka T1X, CZ 455 or 457.
Mark
Old 09-09-2019, 09:42 PM
rhill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Because I already have the Anschutz!
Old 09-09-2019, 09:57 PM
rhill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
zukiphile--I can see your logic, I have done a lot of research on the Ruger, it seem with some work most of these can shoot fairly well, and like you say there are a good selection of barrels for them. Also a plus, is one cannot have too many rifles, like you say the Anschutz can stay stock. I am in no hurry right now, as MDT is 10 weeks out on delivery of a chassis anyway. I don't need one hole groups with this as long as I can put lead on steel at 200yds. that is all I need. I have seen a number of videos of the RPR shooting steel at 300. Ruger just scares me a bit, their QC isn't there, and like you say they don't quite seem to finish the job at the factory. I recently bought a GP100 and I had to do a bit of work on it to make it right. I did not want to send it back to Ruger, I figure if they cant do it right the first time, I sure don't trust them to work on it a second time.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:22 PM
huntsman22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a ruger american compact in a MDT LSS. Not near as cheezy as the precision....

Old 09-10-2019, 08:58 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
zukiphile--I can see your logic, I have done a lot of research on the Ruger, it seem with some work most of these can shoot fairly well, and like you say there are a good selection of barrels for them. Also a plus, is one cannot have too many rifles, like you say the Anschutz can stay stock. I am in no hurry right now, as MDT is 10 weeks out on delivery of a chassis anyway. I don't need one hole groups with this as long as I can put lead on steel at 200yds. that is all I need. I have seen a number of videos of the RPR shooting steel at 300. Ruger just scares me a bit, their QC isn't there, and like you say they don't quite seem to finish the job at the factory. I recently bought a GP100 and I had to do a bit of work on it to make it right. I did not want to send it back to Ruger, I figure if they cant do it right the first time, I sure don't trust them to work on it a second time.
I'd trust Ruger service to replace a faulty part, or fix any function problem. Of course, I know how excellent Ruger's CS is because I've had to use it a few times.

I agree that the QC isn't there, and I wouldn't expect them to correct the imprecision in their manufacturing processes. I like their designs, just seems that the fellow whose job it was to finish the ones I get left early that day. The fellow whose post I read when I was looking at these wrote that he printed a 3/4" group at 100 yards from the prone after he fixed the bedding points in his stock.

The nice thing about fixing/finishing a Ruger is that you'll have plenty to read about from others who've done it.

Last edited by zukiphile; 09-10-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:09 AM
squirrelsniper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd get a chassis for the Anschutz. While I've never even shot an RPRR, I've talked with a bunch of serious and experienced rimfire shooters who have tried one; I haven't heard a single good thing about it yet.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:31 AM
SillyMike
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
On the plus side...

The Ruger comes in some spiffy colour
- They're not a big investment
- Should you be one of the not-so-lucky guy that ends up with a so-so accurate rifle. Replacement barrel are readily available.
- The rifle + a new barrel wouldn't be that fare off $$ from a Anschutz chassis + butstock/grip
- If you already have a 10/22, they can share magazines

Old 09-18-2019, 07:29 AM
kd5zmg
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I was going to see if there was a chassis for the 5418, which should be the same as the 1712, I think. Anyway, I found a T1x for a great price and will be putting an MDT Chassis on it soon.

I also picked up a T3x CTR in 6.5 Cr. and currently have and MDT on it. If RigidAlloy could make one for the 64 and 65 Annie actions, I would get one from them. The ergo on it is slightly better than the MDT. For me it feels better, but MDT seems to have a better selection of product and their customer service is on point.