Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:48 PM
rws53
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Taurus TX22 bad barrel

After reading a couple of posts of complaints of bad barrels being found on the TX22 I checked mine.

The chamber on mine is not concentric with the bore and has bad chattering near the muzzle.

I'll be contacting Taurus Monday morning to get the problem resolved.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:59 PM
bubba68

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How does it shoot ?
Old 04-14-2019, 08:27 AM
wbwanzer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rws53 View Post
I'll be contacting Taurus Monday morning to get the problem resolved.
Please let us know what Taurus has to say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 08:41 AM
jkv45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What is the approximate serial number?

Thanks, I'll have to take a look at the barrel and will post what I find.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:41 AM
wbwanzer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just looked at mine. I've got chattering. Would my grouping be better if there were no chattering? Who knows. I'm probably not good enough to find a difference. My serial number is PT0074xx. My local gun store got it from Davidson's about three weeks ago.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:29 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Mine has chattering just like that pictured, but I have not inspected the chamber side yet.

I %%%% mine 400 rounds yesterday, and it did very well.

So, I’ll look at it some more before I decide what to do.

wbwanzer’s thoughts mirror my own.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:35 PM
wbwanzer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just checked my cheap-%%% Kel Tec P32 (that I paid $200 for new) and it had chattering, but not to the extent of the TX22. I'm a bit disappointed in the Taurus. It functions flawlessly, but you know in the back of your mind that it's less than perfect.

I also checked my Springfield XDE and it looked very nice. No chattering at all.

I'll be checking my other pistols as I get to them.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:07 AM
rws53

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I contacted Taurus Customer Support this morning about the barrel. They provided a shipping label and I've sent the TX22 in.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:13 AM
wbwanzer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Did they have any comment about it, or just say 'Send it in'? I was hoping that you could just send the barrel in. Maybe they want the whole gun to see how it shoots with the current barrel. Then they might decide that it shoots well enough with that barrel. It will be interesting to see what Taurus does with this situation. As I've posted above, I have the chattering also. I'm sure that others do too.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:42 AM
rws53

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbwanzer View Post
Did they have any comment about it, or just say 'Send it in'? I was hoping that you could just send the barrel in. Maybe they want the whole gun to see how it shoots with the current barrel. Then they might decide that it shoots well enough with that barrel. It will be interesting to see what Taurus does with this situation. As I've posted above, I have the chattering also. I'm sure that others do too.
They wanted the whole gun.

The non-concentric chamber to bore is my main concern which I believe caused shot dispersion in my gun.

I put distinctive marks on the barrel so I'll now if it gets changed out.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:50 PM
wbwanzer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rws53 View Post
They wanted the whole gun.

The non-concentric chamber to bore is my main concern which I believe caused shot dispersion in my gun.

I put distinctive marks on the barrel so I'll now if it gets changed out.
Smart to mark the barrel.

If you did not have the non-concentric chamber issue, would you have called them about the chattering? I think that you know more about this stuff than I do, so I'm interested in your thoughts. I have the chattering but don't know whether to make a big deal out of it. My cheap Kel Tec has it but not as bad as the Taurus. My Springfield XDE does not have it.

I've been telling everyone how great this TX22 is. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut. But it does run really well. Maybe the chattering effects accuracy though.

Last edited by wbwanzer; 04-15-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:28 PM
rws53

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbwanzer View Post
Smart to mark the barrel.

If you did not have the non-concentric chamber issue, would you have called them about the chattering? I think that you know more about this stuff than I do, so I'm interested in your thoughts. I have the chattering but don't know whether to make a big deal out of it. My cheap Kel Tec has it but not as bad as the Taurus. My Springfield XDE does not have it.

I've been telling everyone how great this TX22 is. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut. But it does run really well. Maybe the chattering effects accuracy though.
Yes I would have. Although a rough barrel MAY shoot fine with a clean bore it will foul more easily with copper wash/lead and accuracy will decline requiring extensive cleaning. I like to shoot my .22's and not spend time scrubbing out CW/lead.

I sent pictures of the out of line chamber and the muzzle end chattering. Unless they realize they sent out bad barrels and visually inspect a replacement barrel I'm not holding my breath on getting a barrel any better than the one shipped in my gun. If so I'll be dumping the gun. We'll see what Taurus does with mine.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:43 PM
wbwanzer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks.

Keep us posted.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:45 PM
rws53

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd be interested in knowing if others have a chamber that is bored out of line to the bore.

What prompted me to check mine was a post where a guy had his TX22 start keyholing...he noticed his chamber was out of line and when he cleaned his barrel slivers of lead came out. My wasn't leading yet but accuracy was poor. An out of line chamber will cause the bullet to enter the rifling crooked and cause bullet dispersion.

What I did to look at my chamber (and bore) was secure the barrel in a vice and camera on a tripod setting the camera to manual mode to adjust shutter speed and then set focus to manual. I lined the camera up with the chamber (and bore) focusing the camera and got a pretty good view of things...then took the picture.

Last edited by rws53; 04-15-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:54 AM
wbwanzer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll see if I can rig something up sometime soon. I no longer have a tripod (or if I do I don't know where it is) and no longer have a decent camera. A point and shoot and my phone camera. So I doubt that I can produce a picture as good as yours.