How to Find Completed Sales on Gun Broker - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:32 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
How to Find Completed Sales on Gun Broker

A common thread around here is, "I've got a model X in such and such condition and I was wondering what it's worth?" Of course we can look at Blue Book values but those are rarely accurate. And we can look at current auctions on the various sales sites but those only show asking prices not what the guns are actually selling for.

Gun Broker has a neat feature for looking at completed sales but it's a little complicated to use. I thought maybe some screen shots might help those who haven't figured it out yet. Note: I believe you have to be a registered member to use this search and that requires giving them an active credit card number. There's no fee, membership is free, but the credit card somewhat ensures that you're not a bot or scammer up to no good.

As with any internet search good keywords are critical and spelling is important. Too many and you'll get a lot of bogus returns. Too few and you might miss pertinent sales. Also, when you see zero bids it means the auction was completed with no sale.

I hope this helps,

Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gunbroker1.JPG (49.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg gunbroker2.JPG (42.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg gunbroker3.JPG (101.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg gunbroker4.JPG (169.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-30-2018, 11:19 AM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Good info, thanks!

≡✪≡
Old 12-30-2018, 11:38 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So why do you think blue book is too low, bad data? Or a nefarious reason?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2018, 11:45 AM
LtCrunch

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 View Post
Good info, thanks!
You're welcome! Some days I think the same folks that wrote our forum software might have moonlighted for Gun Broker too...the results don't always make sense. But with a little patience and multiple tries I can usually find what I'm looking for.

Frank
Old 12-30-2018, 12:00 PM
LtCrunch

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
So why do you think blue book is too low, bad data? Or a nefarious reason?
Howdy Toomany. I didn't say they were too low, I said Blue Book is often innaccurate. Gun buyers are a fickle lot and my guess would be that it's impossible for Blue Book to keep up with constantly changing tastes and trends. Especially in our small subset of primarily rimfires.

I maintain a Blue Book digital subscription and use it frequently. However I am much more likely to trust the prices shown in recent completed sales on Gun Broker. Especially if there are enough examples with multiple bidders to be statistically significant. Single examples with only 1 bidder aren't very useful.

Take this all with a grain of salt though, I'm just a magpie mouse gun collector with no special skills or tools that aren't available to anyone with an internet connection.

Cheers,

Frank
Old 12-30-2018, 01:11 PM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Hey Crunch, do you know of a way to filter out the unsold items from the list. Get only the sold items to show. I recall that used to be an option?
Old 12-30-2018, 01:35 PM
LtCrunch

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Hi Hushkaboom, like I said the search function is a little funky, but theoretically if you've selected completed items you should only see auctions that have ended in your search results. I've noticed that it reverts very quickly back to a general search so a lot of times if I'm getting bad results I'll just start over.

In the screen shot below I circled the filter clue that tells you the completed items filter is turned on.

Sidenote: I've never played with the snipping tool for grabbing and marking screen shots before this morning...it's pretty cool!

Frank

Edit: I reread you question and no, I do not know how to remove unsold completed sales from the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gunbroker5.JPG (161.9 KB, 7 views)