Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:29 PM
captaincalc
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
32 SW and 32SWLong reloads

I got a couple 32 H&R's recently - one in 32 S&W the other in 32 S&W long ( Young America and a top break). Both are black powder models near as I can figure. What sort of powder/bullet combinations are you ( out there) using for them? I assume triple f. Any of you use any of the "fake" BP's?
Old 06-19-2018, 10:07 AM
captaincalc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
32/32 BP Loads

... still holding my breath ...
Old 06-19-2018, 11:07 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've only loaded smokeless in them for modern guns with solid frames.

231 is very good in these but not sure if your pressure would be too high. I suspect you could download smokeless data and get safe ammo that goes pop. If memory serves it's something like 1.4 and 2.6 grains of 231 in these two rounds. Check a loading guide but you could probably drop the charges considerably with lead bullets and shoot for 500fps in the 32S&W and maybe 600fps in 32 long and have pressures so low they won't seal the chamber well using the 231. With cases this small, the charges of smokeless powder are not too bad. rc
Old 06-19-2018, 12:58 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Btdt, decided Id rather use black than a substitute (had it anyway and clean up is just as needed with either).
I strongly suggest you NOT use smokeless in the vintage, weak (H&Rs are weak even if the solid frame). They WILL shoot loose.
Imo, the best loads for that class of gun is a full load of black powder under a round ball that comfortably fits into the fully fire-formed case mouth. Press the ball in just below its ‘equator’ and fill the void between it and the case with a softish lube. This keeps the fouling soft. The light round ball will help keep pressures down.
Fwiw, I finally sold off my cheap brands after deciding they really were just paper-weights/conversation pieces and only have a S&W Safety Hammerless breaktop in 38S&W left. The others may sorta look like it but the metalurgy, engineering and execution aint.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:19 AM
JVStalin

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Smile Black powder ?

I think it would gum up my Walther GSP .
Old 07-26-2018, 08:32 PM
captaincalc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
32BP

Oops - haven't looked in here for a while. Yeh, No way am I gonna stick any smokeless rounds in there. I just want a handful of rounds to run through them "in case of whatever." No plans on shooting them regularly. They would also make handy blank revolvers to use for dog/hunt training.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:11 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You can purchase loaded black powder ammo from Buffalo Arms Co

https://www.buffaloarms.com/32-s-w-s...f-50-amo32swsb

Otherwise it is easy enough, but where to begin?? FFF powder, full case lightly compressed. SPG lube, a mould or buy some bullets. Buffalo also sells brass. They probably have the bullets too.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:15 PM
captaincalc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
good grief! Pricey stuff. Thanks for the reloading tips --- so it looks like there's no specific grain-age for the BP - just bring it up close to the case mouth and squish a ball into it. Lube in the leftover space. That about sum it up?