Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:37 PM
Neel

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Cleaning Rods....

I have been looking for a good quality non coated hardened cleaning rod. Any suggestions in locating a good cleaning rod?

Last edited by Neel; 11-26-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:32 AM
TTS22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Look at Ivy, very good quality.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:29 AM
squirrelsniper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm a fan of Pro Shot cleaning rods. For cleaning 22LRs, get a .17 or .20 cal rod and a thread adaptor to use 22LR brushes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2018, 12:03 PM
John45
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Good luck on Ivy. I tried several emails and phone calls with no responses to either about a month ago. Finally bought a ProShot and couldn't be happier. After all, it's just a polished SS rod with a handle and threaded. I got the 20 cal rod and it is a great rod. Watch your threads if you go with 20. You will need an adapter for your brushes and jags if they are for 22 cal rods. If I need another rod I will stay with ProShot and forget Ivy.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:57 PM
80hornet

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pro Shot Rods

Same with me on the Ivy rods.Tried to get one for months with no luck. Pro Shot rods were recommended by a friend. I ordered a couple of them and they are GREAT cleaning rods.I too highly recommend them.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:17 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've never gotten what's so special about Ivy Rods.

Pro-Shots are highly polished stainless steel ( just like Ivy's) with an even smaller ball bearing handle.
Small is good because it has less chance of banging into you comb.
In fact that's one of two things I don't like about Dewey rods; gigantic handles, along with the unnecessary coating which will eventually peel off after it has its first run in with an extractor

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 11-27-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:05 PM
Dennis D
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Cleaning rod and barrel wear.

Well since we're talking about rods I have an observation and question.

Since I made the mistake of obtaining a bore scope I have been inspecting barrels at intervals just to see what I can see. After checking a Benchmark 3 groove barrel after aprox. 8000 rounds, cleaning with patches after every match and pulling a brush through when excess build up occurs I notice that the bottom of the bore has become shinny where the rod drags on it right at the muzzle. I don't have the equipment that can measure if there is actually any dimensional change involved but there is definitely a visual change that indicates wear. This of course is due to having to extend the rod out to clear the tuner.

Any one else ever notice it?

Dennis
Old 11-27-2018, 02:07 PM
Neel

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Yea, I've tried contacting Ivy as well no with no luck. Must be out of business. I will give a .20 cal. proshot rod a shot .
Old 11-27-2018, 03:04 PM
Smoothtrigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Hawkeye Bore scope that I constantly use on all 7 of my rimfire rifles.
Three of them have over 11,000 rounds down the pipe, including one of my .17's and 2 of my .22's.

None of them have shown any kind of wear at the muzzle.
So I don't know what you're seeing, or how a rod could cause that.
The rods metal is softer than the barrel, and their is essentially zero pressure pushing the rod into the barrel at the muzzle.

They do show a small amount of what I'll call pitting at 6 o'clock in the first few inches in from the breach.
This is caused by the very hard primer debris being run over by the bullet.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 11-27-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:52 PM
thesandman
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Brother Dennis; Do you always clean guns in same position? Is polished area only on bottom of bore in regards to cleaning position?
Old 11-28-2018, 12:37 PM
Dennis D
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Yep, always clean them in the same position in a cleaning cradle, it's where the rod settles at the bottom of the bore. I think it's most visible on this barrel because it's a three groove and the groove is directly at the 6 o'clock position at the crown letting the rod drop into the groove when the patch exits.
Over the course of this barrel cleaning aprox. every 30 rounds I figure the rod has been through the barrel around 1066 times.
If you don't think a rod will cause wear take your cleaning rod and run it back and forth over the top of your barrel a thousand times and see if it leaves a mark.

Dennis
Old 11-28-2018, 01:40 PM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use Pro-Shot 22 cal rod. Work great.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:39 PM
Smoothtrigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dennis D

"If you don't think a rod will cause wear take your cleaning rod and run it back and forth over the top of your barrel a thousand times and see if it leaves a mark."

So I ran a well used Pro-Shot rod over the barrel of my 53 year old Browning T-bolt, for a thousand stokes (maybe 2 thousand because I counted an out and back as one stroke), and all it did was remove the bluing.
Also notice how small the contact area was. And even that width was because the rod was moving very slightly right and left.
In addition, I did this with the rod dry. In the real world your barrel would be wet with cleaning fluid or oil, which would greatly reduce the friction.

I shot this with a a Macro lens which brings out every little detail.
Just eyeballing it, the mark is tiny.
When I ran my finger over it, I couldn't feel any surface change.
Using a 10X jeweler's loop showed no wear on the barrel.

If your not inclined to test this out on a barrel, just rub the backsides of a couple of spoons together applying as much force as you want and see how much wear you get.
Good luck with that.

As far as Dennis's observation goes, I'm sure he's seeing something, but I don't believe it was caused by a cleaning rod.
Maybe a photo from his borescope would be helpful.

Smooth

I have another thought on this.
If you use a coated rod, wouldn't the plastic wear off very quickly? After all the plastic coating is super soft compared to barrel steel.
The same forces and frictions are in play, yet coated rods seem to be immune to any significant wear over time, assuming they aren't scratched by an ejector.

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 11-28-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:52 PM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You can run a bronze brush over a piece of measured steel at a certain point thousands of times and do the same with 3 more brushes if you like. All you are doing is polishing the steel. After you have wore out 3 or 4 brushes the piece of steel will measure the same.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:55 PM
endangeredoutlaw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
stainless Dewey rods are awesome...