Took my Brno ZKM 455 S Model 3 Stecher out for a stretch, figured I'd share some pics - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:55 AM
jmrybak

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Talking Took my Brno ZKM 455 S Model 3 Stecher out for a stretch, figured I'd share some pics

I had my Brno ZKM455 S Model 3 Stecher out this morning and with the sun out, I figured I would take some photos to share in case anyone was interested.

A bit of background for any who may be interested as I have compiled from Denny and other sources over the years, though I warn you this is hand me down information about a rifle that shouldn't still exist from a now defunct factory/ company in a country far away. I don't hold this to all be fact for certain, but it's the history as well as I can tell it.

It all started in the late 1940's when Brno entered into an agreement with Walther and Anschutz to construct a very limited number of Brno ZKM 451 Model 1 with a double set trigger based off the Walther design but with some improvements being made be Brno. These are some of the rarest Brno from my understanding. I have seen images of a few examples, and the similarities in trigger design are undeniable.

Not too long after, Brno decided to make a version of the ZKM 455 Model 3 with a double set trigger, developed using what they had learned from the Model 1, to create a target rifle for competition. This became the Brno ZKM 455 S Model 3 "Stecher." A small number (this varies but were likely talking sub 200) were made up and given to shooters on the Czechloslovakian national shooting team (remember there were only a little over 8000 Model 3 made in total to begin with). The rifles preformed very well and Czechs were a dominant force in international competition (including the Olympics) at that time. The Stecher preformed so well, that it drew the attention of Walther, whom had collaborated with Brno in some way while working on the double set trigger Model 1. Walther filed a law suit against Brno claiming it had rights to their design. At this time the Czechloslovakian government was controlling the factory at Brno, and they decided for political reasons (remember the time period here) to appease Walther. So the orders were given to destroy the Stechers! Thankfully around 110 or so of these rifles survived destruction, either by being sold off to SVAZARM before the order came down, or simply by being stashed away/ hidden in one of the several Brno warehouses. Additionally, it seems an unknown number of additional Stecher trigger assemblies survived and pop up now and again.

Our great friend Denny bought up 87 or so and imported them to the USA for his company Bohemia Arms (they are all sold off now). There are a very small number outside of this 87 floating around elsewhere in the world as well.

And that is the tale/ history of the Brno ZKM 455 S Model 3 Stecher...

This particular example, was proofed in 1956, and is one of the earlier serial numbers I have seen myself. The bluing is in original condition, identical to my Standard Model 3 of later manufacture, and is not the bead blasted or parkerized finish. The stock, which appears to be beachwood to me, is checkered at the grip and forearm and bears the Brno quality inspection stamps (such as the oTk stamp) in several locations. The overall shape is identical to that of the Standard Model 3, but there is different inletting to allow for the much longer Stecher trigger assembly. The sight set consists of the same front globe as the Standard Model 3 and Model 4, and the rear sight is the "Olympic" variation with the larger and differently shaped adjustment turrets. Worth noting, the single shot adapter for the Stecher is a little different. It has been narrowed in the rear portion of the base plate to better fit the larger trigger guard surrounding the forward set trigger.

Last edited by jmrybak; 10-07-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:58 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Nice rifle. I’ve owned my 3S for several years. I bought several BRNOs from Denny, but my Stecher came from an auction. I don’t think folks realized what it was.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:15 PM
jmrybak

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
Nice rifle. I’ve owned my 3S for several years. I bought several BRNOs from Denny, but my Stecher came from an auction. I don’t think folks realized what it was.
Iíve seen Brno for sale in places where the seller didnít know what they had, but not a Stecher (yet haha). Mine came from a private sale here on RFC, but the previous owner got it from Denny and it has his import stamp under the barrel under the stock line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2018, 07:55 AM
jmrybak

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I remembered why I don't use photobucket anymore. Here is a link to the Model 1 with the Walther/ Brno double set trigger image that wont stop working hopefully...

Old 10-08-2018, 10:56 AM
wtb22hp
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice rifles, nice photo's, Thank you for posting!
Old 10-08-2018, 12:12 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrybak View Post
I remembered why I don't use photobucket anymore. Here is a link to the Model 1 with the Walther/ Brno double set trigger image that wont stop working hopefully...

That's scarer than Hen's teeth, nice.