Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:19 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rear Bag Advice

Annie 1809, BR 50, home made wood or sandbag front rest, good rear bag, doing good at moment (average 243/250) at present.

Any tips/advice on how to keep the rear bag aligned properly ?.

GOOD = Before shot, bag is straight, after shot bag straight, sight on POA.

BAD = Bag ever so slightly crooked, sight slightly off POA, to left, always seems to be left.

Recoil no problem as weight is 13Lb - 9 Oz, confusing to say the least.

Rifle shoots great with heavy hold or very light touch, anything else, all over the shop.....

Giz
Old 08-26-2018, 02:53 PM
hawkeye62
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo60 View Post
Annie 1809, BR 50, home made wood or sandbag front rest, good rear bag, doing good at moment (average 243/250) at present.

Any tips/advice on how to keep the rear bag aligned properly ?.

GOOD = Before shot, bag is straight, after shot bag straight, sight on POA.

BAD = Bag ever so slightly crooked, sight slightly off POA, to left, always seems to be left.

Recoil no problem as weight is 13Lb - 9 Oz, confusing to say the least.

Rifle shoots great with heavy hold or very light touch, anything else, all over the shop.....

Giz
I am not sure what you mean by "good rear bag"? But, I think you might want to look at the front rest. I have never had the rear bag move. But I have an excellent front rest and I spend time getting front and rear rests aligned. I try to get the front rest set so the rifle will point at the middle of the target. Then with the rifle in front and rear rests and against the front stop, I line up a scope cross hair with in line on the target. Then I slide the rifle back about three inches. If the cross hair doesn't stay lined up with the target line, I adjust the rear bag location until it does.

Good luck, Jim
Old 09-29-2018, 11:29 AM
Dubhane
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I think that I know the source of your problem. I have experienced the same issue while shooting my 64 MPR. It takes a fair amount of downward force to close the bolt on my rifle, especially when shooting R-50. This causes the rifle to twist clockwise in the rest and to lever the rear bag to the left. Try watching the rifle while closing the bolt to see if there is any movement. My solution was to not shoot R-50 in this rifle, lucky for me there are other ammo's it likes as well.

Ironically, I just purchased a larger rear bag from Hawkeye62 that, I plan to fill with heavy sand in hopes of reducing this issue. I hope that this is helpful to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2018, 05:24 PM
Gizmo60

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks to all.

Never thought of rifle moving bag while closing bolt, checked it, your right Dubhane, bag does move slightly from time to time.

I think its time to get a heavier bag, I like the look of Seb Small Foot & Big Foot Rear bags.

Giz
Old 09-29-2018, 10:17 PM
Taterchip

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I will offer this up for what it's worth.
You might try a piece of the stuff you line tool box draws with underneath the bag to keep it from walking. Help me out with a protektor 13a bag with rabbit ears . I know that is a much lighter bag than what you are describing. But for no more than it cost it might be worth a try.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:27 PM
Dubhane
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Thanks to all.

Never thought of rifle moving bag while closing bolt, checked it, your right Dubhane, bag does move slightly from time to time.

I think its time to get a heavier bag, I like the look of Seb Small Foot & Big Foot Rear bags.

Giz
Glad to be of help Giz. Taterchip's idea is a good one and much cheaper than a new heavier bag.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:33 AM
Gizmo60

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good idea that lads, will try.

Have also noticed that some of the concrete benches are very smooth from continual use.

Giz
Old 11-18-2018, 01:34 AM
esk808
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can't go wrong with a SEB Bigfoot

Quote:
Thanks to all.

Giz
I have the SEB Bigfoot, with heavy sand in the main body, and regular sand in the ears so that it can be squeezed.

Great bag.

New colors too, instead of the black and tan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1963.jpg (110.8 KB, 254 views)
Old 11-20-2018, 06:05 PM
Gizmo60

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Esk808.

Big foot's sure look nice. I have the standard baby bag on order.

Giz
Old 11-20-2018, 06:58 PM
esk808
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Thanks Esk808.

Big foot's sure look nice. I have the standard baby bag on order.

Giz

Think about filling your bag with Brownell's Heavy Sand. It is HEAVY, and will keep your bag from moving.

I use regular sand in the ears, because the heavy sand settles down and makes the ears immovable....I like to squeeze the ears sometimes.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:58 AM
Gizmo60

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Been using pet shop sand for reptiles in my bags.

Reasonably heavy, easy to get and clean, it does settle some after time, no big deal, you just top the bag up.

Giz
Old 11-21-2018, 10:15 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Using a solid, secure front rest position and a non-sliding rear bag 'footprint' I find that my sporter stocks 'roll' some also. If I have been diligent with my alignment before the prev shot and min. my reload movement I can almost always recover my poa via indexing forward and 'rolling back' of the rifle to its proper vert. position. I have been aided in this in the tail end of the fall by installing a scope tube mounted bubble level. Without that vert roll back the 'hairs are usually off to the one side due the rifling twist. Enough AO scope to see that at 50yds has been enlightening.
Note to self, if I feel like I need to reposition the rear bag or front rest there often something else amiss in my re-set.
Next is to mount a 'shoe' under the forestock and a proper bag/rigid slider to the front rest. The fun never ends.....

Last edited by gcrank1; 11-22-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:56 PM
Gizmo60

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We are all striving to get the best results we can within budget.

I use a Protektor rear bag and a Protektor standard front bag, the triangular shaped one. Standard front bag is very solid, rifle does not move back very much on them, then again its 14+ lbs weight.

One day a mechanical front rest will appear, until then the fun never ends.....

Giz
Old 11-26-2018, 07:28 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterchip View Post
I will offer this up for what it's worth.
You might try a piece of the stuff you line tool box draws with underneath the bag to keep it from walking. Help me out with a protektor 13a bag with rabbit ears . I know that is a much lighter bag than what you are describing. But for no more than it cost it might be worth a try.
Yes, this works. I use a piece of red 3/16" red "die" rubber under mine. Works great
Jeff
Old 11-26-2018, 08:07 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gizmo60

Did you say that you are averaging 243/250 on the USBR target?
If that's correct, then I think you should be careful messing with anything.

Smooth