Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:48 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)

If they made the receiver out of 7075-T6 aluminum, I would be interested.
Since it is the same old thing, I think I will stick to my stainless steel receivers.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:27 PM
Mike09
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mounted a Bushnell Banner 3-9 x 40 scope. Had to remove the rear peep sight to clear the magnification adjustment dial. Initial scope sight in was with a laser bore sighter and then off to the range. Target at 50 yds and 5 rounds to make final scope adjustments. Ran 155 rounds of 7 different brands of ammo and had 1 big hole in the center of the target with a maximum dimension of 1 1/2 inches. The only fail was 1 stovepipe with a Federal Auto Match and that I feel was the round as when it fired it sounded a bit quieter than usual. Trigger pull weight measures 4 lbs 8 oz . Very satisfied and no complaints.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:11 AM
WPWarhawk
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to WPWarhawk
I picked up a TCR22 last week, I think itís an improved 10/22 and agree with everything you said, except the trigger. The trigger in mine is no better, maybe worse than a stock Ruger trigger. Still, for the price you canít touch it by starting with a Ruger. Mine was $289 from grabagun in Texas, add in the $50 rebate and it becomes very attractive on price alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2018, 08:01 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most 10/22s are darn reliable, but some do have issues. Have you changed the guide rod assembly? Have you polished the inside of the bolt...something that happens over time using high speed ammo. rc
Old 09-04-2018, 09:33 AM
no4mk1t

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPWarhawk View Post
I picked up a TCR22 last week, I think itís an improved 10/22 and agree with everything you said, except the trigger. The trigger in mine is no better, maybe worse than a stock Ruger trigger. Still, for the price you canít touch it by starting with a Ruger. Mine was $289 from grabagun in Texas, add in the $50 rebate and it becomes very attractive on price alone.
I just bought one as well. Out of the box, the trigger was 5lbs., but crisp. I detail stripped the trigger pack and found the hammer and sear are chrome plated and the engagement surfaces are very smooth. I trimmed two coils from the trigger return spring and lubed with a dab of moly grease on reassembly. Trigger is now 3.5lbs. I'll leave it there for a while and see what happens after a brick or two. Triggers tend to get lighter as they wear in.
I know 3.5lbs. doesn't sound that great to some here that are used to a 2lb. trigger, but I'm used to a 4.5lb Service Rifle trigger, so 3.5 feels light to me.

If you can strip and successfully reassemble the trigger pack, this is very easy to do.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:01 AM
no4mk1t

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
I handled one at Ed's Gunshop a week ago, like the stock design pretty well, rifle seems well made but the $350 price gives me pause, I can buy a Ruger DSP for a bit less.
For folks in NE Georgia, this store has them on special for $280 until October. I picked mine up Friday. Mom & Pop store. Mike was great to work with. Nice, well stocked store.
Add in the rebate and you're at $230 + tax.

https://georgiagunstore.com/sporting...l-syn-odg.html
Old 09-04-2018, 10:14 AM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
It looks to me that TC looked at Ruger and the failed competition for the 10-22, (Remington 597, the old TC autoloader, etc.) and built a better mousetrap.

But...the stock is rather unhandsome!

Better sights...79 year old eyes are a bit finicky...LSHO....replacing the cheapjack sling swivels on my DSP with something that works better, modfying the bolt hold-open...all in the name of making the 10 22 into what it should be...and...installing a VQ target hammer for a better trigger pull. None of which was a burden when I was doing it. Especially since the newer guns weren't available years ago!

Before, during and after the mods, my 10-022 ran reliably, gave reasonable accuracy, and what I did probably ran the cost up past the current sale price of the TC, but, who's complaining? Not me! Not planning to sell my 10-22 any time soon! BUT....a new gun is always a good thing!
Old 09-04-2018, 10:22 AM
WPWarhawk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no4mk1t View Post
I just bought one as well. Out of the box, the trigger was 5lbs., but crisp. I detail stripped the trigger pack and found the hammer and sear are chrome plated and the engagement surfaces are very smooth. I trimmed two coils from the trigger return spring and lubed with a dab of moly grease on reassembly. Trigger is now 3.5lbs. I'll leave it there for a while and see what happens after a brick or two. Triggers tend to get lighter as they wear in.
I know 3.5lbs. doesn't sound that great to some here that are used to a 2lb. trigger, but I'm used to a 4.5lb Service Rifle trigger, so 3.5 feels light to me.

If you can strip and successfully reassemble the trigger pack, this is very easy to do.
Great information, and I will give it a try. Brimstone says the TCR trigger is like the Ruger BX trigger, mine doesn't feel like a BX, but it sounds like it has potential.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:31 PM
no4mk1t

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPWarhawk View Post
Great information, and I will give it a try. Brimstone says the TCR trigger is like the Ruger BX trigger, mine doesn't feel like a BX, but it sounds like it has potential.
I think it's the corporate liability lawyers not wanting factory rifles going out the door with triggers that 12 jurors with no firearms knowledge could be persuaded to believe were not only dangerous to sell to the great unwashed masses, but negligent on the part of the manufacturer.
If you send it off for a trigger job, then the liability shifts to you.

If you feel comfortable getting inside the trigger, I think you will be happy with the results.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:08 PM
no4mk1t

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Blooded mine last w/e. 5 are mine, 3 are my hunting buds.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:16 AM
Thomasconnor

TPC Rating: 
100% (77)
The first thing I did was restock mine, not that there's anything wrong with the plastic Magpul. It's probably a great bad weather or ultralight stock.

TC has definitely raised the bar. It'll be interesting to see if Ruger does anything...Tom
Old 12-04-2018, 02:16 PM
WPWarhawk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no4mk1t View Post
I think it's the corporate liability lawyers not wanting factory rifles going out the door with triggers that 12 jurors with no firearms knowledge could be persuaded to believe were not only dangerous to sell to the great unwashed masses, but negligent on the part of the manufacturer.
If you send it off for a trigger job, then the liability shifts to you.

If you feel comfortable getting inside the trigger, I think you will be happy with the results.

I took my TCR trigger apart, was planning to clip the trigger return spring a little. But with my fat fingers I just coulnd't get it back together. So I sent it off to Brimstone, and they returned a fantastic feeling trigger with a very nice flat faced aluminum trigger blade. I'm very happy with it.

So happy, that I bought a second TCR on Black Friday. Got it a couple days ago. Not sure what I'm going to do with this one. My plan is to decide if one barrel shoots better than the other, and go from there. I'm sure one of my grandkids will be happy to inherit it someday.

I love the stock, the feel of it anyway. It's not much to look at. But it's far better than the Ruger boat paddle my 10/22 had on it, so when I got a chance at a take off TCR stock I jumped on it. Fits on a 10/22 no problem, and the TCR action fit the 10/22 stock just fine.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:31 PM
DroopyBassets75
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
I will echo the vast majority of the folks here. My experiences with the Ruger 10/22 have been overwhelmingly positive, with most negatives being attributed to aftermarket magazines. That said, I have developed a protocol when I buy a new rifle. Each one gets a buffer treatment, drop in hammer/sear, edge extractor, and surestrike firing pin.

I'm glad another company is making something of this pattern. I can't remember who, maybe it was Armscor, but somebody made a clone some years back but they got sued pretty quick and vanished. Looked identical to a 10/22, metal trigger group and all but with fiber optics if I am thinking right.

If TC would charge an extra $100 and make the receiver out of steel instead of Aluminum they would really be onto something. It isn't different enough for me to buy one, but it's nice to see something else out there that isn't a straight clone and the LSHO is pretty neat.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:37 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
My first 22 rifle when I was a boy was a 10/22, in the late 1960s.

It was a Jam-O-Magic. I tried new mags with no relief for my troubles. There is nothing more frustrating than going shooting with your friends, knowing you could out shoot them if your rifle would function.
Eventually , I replaced it with a Belgium SA-22 and didnít look back.

Years later (1980s) I bought an AMT Lightning and eventually modified it. I still like the stainless steel receivers.

If I would have known then, what I know now, a simple extractor replacement would have probably solved the issue. I donít think there were any aftermarket extractors in the late 1960s, for a 10/22.

I understand a person being frustrated with an ill tempered factory 10/22. The difference is that today there are simple options to fix most issues.

The real question in this thread is the TC worth the difference over the 10/22.
It sounds like a nice rifle at a decent price.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:52 PM
cruzerbotz

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I can see one in my future. It is on my list. I've seen two write ups on it. Forget where the first one was, but it gave good reviews and showed excellent accuracy. The second was in a rimfire section of Rifle Shooter. They had write ups on the Tikka, Rossi, TCR22, Remington 597 and Ruger Precision Rimfire. The accuracy results in this article weren't that good. But, seems there was a different variety of ammo used for each rifle. The Tikka shows as really accurate. But, looked like most of the ammo fired with it was the really good stuff.

Reason I don't have one yet is I had the opportunity to pick up the Ruger PC Carbine at Academy for $399 and couldn't pass that up.