My T/C R22 Arrived Today - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:17 AM
jeronimo
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My T/C R22 Arrived Today

T/C R22
T/C R22

Received the call that my new T/C R22 had arrived, this afternoon, at the LGS.

It was the first one the proprietor had ever laid hands on. He told me, as a long time 10/22 fan, that he was impressed.
I told him that I hope these rifles cause Ruger to sit up and take notice, and move forward into the 21st century!
I also told him to hurry up and finish the transfer paperwork, before Ruger started filing lawsuits!

Got home around 6:30 this evening, took the action out of the stock, checked everything out, gave it all a light spray of One-Shot,
ran a patch through the bore, and put it back together. For the sake of testing out aftermarket accessories compatibility,
I swapped out the mag release with a Timber Creek extended mag release. It fit and functioned just fine.

I took it outside, and proceeded to test it out.
Shooting offhand, at my 4" and 8" AR500 steel plates, 40yds away, I found that the sights were pretty well dialed in.
I ended up shooting 10 magazines/100 rounds, of mostly CCI Standard Velocity, one magazine of SK Standard Plus,
and a couple of mags of Aguila Super Extra Standard Velocity. I had one FTF, with the Aguila.
It had a good, solid firing pin mark on the rim of the case. Loaded it back in the rifle, and it fired like it should. Other than that, zero issues.

I only fired out of the factory magazine once, as I had a pocket full of BX1 mags. The last round hold-open worked as designed.

Overall, or maybe I should say, initially, I'm very happy with this offering from T/C.
I really like how they put a lot of great 10/22 mods into a production rifle, along with a machined receiver, which is
outstanding, considering the price point. I gave $320, shipped, for mine, and another $25 for the transfer fee.

Things I don't like?
The stock is thin and flexes, especially at the forend. The finish on the barrel is thin, and not very durable.
The bolt hold open is a little finicky, particularly when using it with 10/22 mags, you have to press the tab all the way in,
or it will auto-release when you drop the magazine.
The factory magazine will not drop free, and requires you to pull down at the front of the mag, to get it to release.
The as-yet unavailability of said factory magazines.

I'm looking forward to spending more time behind this rifle.
After I get the barrel good and broken in, I'll put a scope on it, and try to give you all a decent range report on it.

JS
Old 07-28-2018, 05:53 PM
Nerostarr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Very nice and thank you for the review and the range report. I've been searching for one of these and just found an online retailer stocking them. I just placed my order and now the wait begins. Could you tell me if the LOP on the stock is similar to a factory ruger stock? Congrats and good luck with your new rifle.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:24 PM
jeronimo

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thanks Nerostarr, and congratulations. I'm sure you will enjoy yours, when it arrives.

I measured the T/C stock, and a Ruger 10/22 Carbine stock I have.

Both measured 13.5" LOP, give or take 1/8".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2018, 08:01 PM
Frommer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Enjoy!! I love mine. See some of my comments on this section of the forum. I paid $300 for mine at LGS. They had a remodeling sale and were reducing inventory so I think I got a good deal. It was the only one they had in stock.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:03 PM
Frommer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also ordered a set of hand and forearm grips from Talon. Green looks like the same color as the TC stock.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:29 PM
jeronimo

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frommer View Post
Enjoy!! I love mine. See some of my comments on this section of the forum. I paid $300 for mine at LGS. They had a remodeling sale and were reducing inventory so I think I got a good deal. It was the only one they had in stock.
That was a great deal!
Old 07-28-2018, 09:18 PM
Nerostarr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Jeronimo, thank you for the measurements...Perfect.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:43 PM
jeronimo

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Yardwork

Told the wife I was headed outside, to do a little yardwork.....

Yardwork
Yardwork

Got the irons sighted in @ 25m. Yeah, meters! I'm trying to get ready for a couple of Appleseed shoots, this fall.
I couldn't see worth a flip at that distance, even with the peep sight, but it would put the rounds on target, if I did my part, by repeating the sight picture.
While I was at it, I went ahead and sighted in one of my Holosun red dots, for varmint dispatch purposes.

So far, I've got right at 500 rounds through the rifle, running a Boresnake through it twice, after every 100 rounds.
When I get up to 1000 rounds, I'll mount a scope, and see how it groups. Until then, thanks for lookin'!
Old 07-30-2018, 11:09 AM
Frommer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wish I had a yard like that do shoot in!!! I have yo go to the club to shoot. I have my scope mounted and roughly sited in at 50' in my basement. Need to get to the club to do it properly.

Did you bore site it first before adding the red dot?
Old 07-30-2018, 11:58 AM
jeronimo

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frommer View Post
Wish I had a yard like that do shoot in!!! I have yo go to the club to shoot. I have my scope mounted and roughly sited in at 50' in my basement. Need to get to the club to do it properly.

Did you bore site it first before adding the red dot?
Yes sir, I boresighted it first.

I can easily shoot 100 yards, but any further, I would have to cut a shooting lane.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:49 PM
Out West

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
In one review I read the writer stated that his front sight was canted and that his barrel was rusting. Have you noticed either of these issues with your rifle?

I really want one of these rifles!
Old 08-03-2018, 11:26 PM
jeronimo

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out West View Post
In one review I read the writer stated that his front sight was canted and that his barrel was rusting. Have you noticed either of these issues with your rifle?

I really want one of these rifles!
DO IT!

No canted front sight issue with mine.

The finish on the barrel is a little thin for my taste, but, I haven't had any rust develop yet. I do spray it down with Hornady One Shot, and wipe it down, after each range session.
If I keep the factory barrel on it, I'll likely end up having it Cerakoted, and be done with it.

I've only put 500 rounds through it, and so far, its been trouble free......

The review you were referring to: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-center-tcr22/

Last edited by jeronimo; 08-03-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:30 AM
Electraclyde
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Front sight on mine is OK, finish on the barrel is thin but no rust yet.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:53 PM
dlrector

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I pickup mine tonite or tomorrow. Rather jazzed!
Old 08-06-2018, 10:01 PM
Frommer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Front Site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electraclyde View Post
Front sight on mine is OK, finish on the barrel is thin but no rust yet.
I think the TC front fiber sight is much better than the standard Ruger sight by far.