Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:52 AM
mccraggen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gun shoots better when not on a rest?

So I have a chiappa little badger that shoots better when held than when from a rest, how can this be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2018, 08:50 AM
todde

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stock flex. Forearm touching barrel.
Todd
Old 04-17-2018, 09:52 AM
theearlof

TPC Rating: 
100% (80)
A lot could be how you are resting it.

Can you explain your rest setup. What rest equipment are you using, what part of the rifle is supported by the rest, both front and back?

How many groups did you shoot to determine that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2018, 09:55 AM
tommyt654

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Some guns ust like to be held.In benchrest shooting most shoot free recoil,but I have seen quite a few that do hold their rifles slightly as they seem to shoot better for them.Yours may be one of those rifles possibly,just sayin
Old 04-17-2018, 09:59 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
There are too many things to list that come into factor when shooting off a rest. Typically most rifles will shoot better off a rest. It takes alot of practice to get repeatable consistency when bench shooting. Granted it takes just as much or more practice to shoot good offhand consistently. Are you using a scope? That and other factors mentioned above are just a few things that can attribute to inconsistencies while in a rest.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:08 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Is the ‘rest’ a bipod? Fwiw I never got any great groups when I tried a bipod.
As said, even on a bench with a heavy rest or bags there are many variables, a bipod adds even more in a less adjustable or controllable way.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:10 AM
mccraggen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is with sandbags front and rear and a scope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2018, 11:06 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Have you varied the front bag position incrementally from as far back as possible to the front of the forearm?
Does the group go round, or shoot a 'line' (ie, up, sideways, diagonally)?
Old 04-17-2018, 11:41 AM
noremf
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Something to give serious consideration to

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Have you varied the front bag position incrementally from as far back as possible to the front of the forearm?
Does the group go round, or shoot a 'line' (ie, up, sideways, diagonally)?
Good point IMO and IME.

It is not uncommon for rifles to shoot better when the rest is closer to the trigger guard then when it is closer to the end of the stock. "Balance" points are different with many rifles and finding that often will get the best results.

noremf(George)
Old 04-17-2018, 12:21 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bounce

I rest on sand bags with my hand under the forarm when I sight in for the more accurate adjustment for field shooting. If you sight in from a bipod or with your gun laying on the bags, the sight adjustment may not be the same when you are holding off hand or shooting off a tree, post or log. With larger calibers you can see the gun jump off the rest from vibration and recoil during the shooting cycle. I shoot handguns mostly off hand for the same reason. If you try to shoot pistols with your hands rested on the hood of your car, you won't be hitting to the same average point of aim. rc
Old 04-17-2018, 12:59 PM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As Noremf said front rest close to trigger guard may help. Action latch surface should be oil free, action should be closed with consistent force, if it has a transfer bar the trigger should be held fully back during hammer fall, consistent careful trigger pull especially important on very thin rifle.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:40 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
I rest on sand bags with my hand under the forarm when I sight in for the more accurate adjustment for field shooting. If you sight in from a bipod or with your gun laying on the bags, the sight adjustment may not be the same when you are holding off hand or shooting off a tree, post or log. With larger calibers you can see the gun jump off the rest from vibration and recoil during the shooting cycle. I shoot handguns mostly off hand for the same reason. If you try to shoot pistols with your hands rested on the hood of your car, you won't be hitting to the same average point of aim. rc
Totally agree. I use a trigger stick when hunting and always place the back of my wrist in the yolk and rifle in my hand.