Time for some of us to give up on the 17HMR??? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:49 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Not 17hmr but I just had an issue with a new 22lr rifle getting 50% misfires. The firing pin was striking to far to the center not on the edge. It was hitting hard enough but not in the right place. Bore was not centered and the rifle was replaced. Having 2 rifles do that would be very odd. Possible bent or broken firing pins but also possible something affected your ammo while in storage.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:35 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Firing Pin Issue

I have two 882s and an 880 and they are very reliable igniting ammo. Now I've had a lot of problems with 22LR lately but due to the extremely high level of misfires you are having I think it's the gun too. Firing pin channels gum up sometimes from using WD40 or 3 in1 oil on the bolt. Powder fouling can creep into the channel and sometimes, particularly with new guns there is a metal but in the firing pin channel or on the firing pin that causes it to hang up during the firing cycle slowing the strike. While it could be the spring, my bet is that it's just a lubrication issue or a rough spot. Also if you have added an over travel adjustment that can cause the sear to not cleanly break from the striker again slowing the strike. Let us know what you find. rc
Old 04-03-2018, 06:12 PM
turable.shot
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OP, get your rifle fixed,... Thanks, I'll keep mine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2018, 08:59 PM
thesandman
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
One observation. I see many gun shops storing their guns in a cocked condition. Even though the bolt is open the firing pin spring is compressed(not all).
Old 04-04-2018, 01:01 PM
DannoBoone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If it were me, I would start off by disassembling the bolts and thoroughly
cleaning the parts, use a little dry lube, reassemble, and see how that works
before doing anything else.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:46 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree with the others, it seems more of a rifle issue than an ammunition issue. Just today, I took out my 2002 vintage 17V, after ignoring it for about eight years. I had some new A17 ammo, and some old Hornady 17gr. Vmax stuff (the original load).
Not shooting it didn't seem to cause any issues. All the ammo hit where it was supposed to hit, and I had no issues of any kind, no duds or misfires whatsoever.
My poor old neglected rifle had sat in the closet for some years, as I had a 455 Combo gun to mess around with, and it was lighter and handier. And it didn't shoot for beans.
The old Marlin (first year of production) has accounted for a gazillion prairie dogs, but I've since quit heading to SD, it's been neglected and sat dormant. I'm gonna redeem myself to it, I've been a poor steward of a fine-shooting rifle (after a lot of work on the trigger and bedding).

I think I'd look to the rifles, new springs and maybe new firing pins.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:18 PM
thesandman
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Brother Curtis; Any love yet on your 17hmr? Could you please find a friend with a good shooting gun to shoot your ammo or you his-hers? That would tell you all you need to know. I'm in mid mi. If I can help or I will send ya a box of known good ammo. Let me know. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:15 PM
DannoBoone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennasher View Post
Just today, I took out my 2002 vintage 17V, after ignoring it for about eight years. I had some new A17 ammo, and some old Hornady 17gr. Vmax stuff (the original load).
Not shooting it didn't seem to cause any issues. All the ammo hit where it was supposed to hit, and I had no issues of any kind, no duds or misfires whatsoever.
My poor old neglected rifle had sat in the closet for some years.
The old Marlin (first year of production) has accounted for a gazillion prairie dogs, but I've since quit heading to SD, it's been neglected and sat dormant.

I think I'd look to the rifles, new springs and maybe new firing pins.
Could this be a case of "they don't make them like they used to"? Similar story with
my similar vintage 17VS. I had gotten it for a war on starlings which, for whatever
reason, had gotten as thick in summer as we usually see in winter. They were
devouring rhea and emu feed almost as fast as I could put it out, for two years!
Funny how many that little bullet could get when they were sitting in a circle
around the rim of a feed pan. The best was four for one with those frangible little
bullets. It also got a few marauding coons. Then it sat around for quite a few
years, and I decided to get it out this spring to see just how it would still shoot.
It's just as accurate as it ever was......I'm not, but it is!
Old 05-31-2018, 11:16 PM
NevRimfire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
17 hmr is usually pretty consistent but Iíve had some worst than average ESís with some lots.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:54 AM
2ndtimer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bart View Post
I've never had a failure to fire with my Marlin 917. Not one, using both old and new ammo from Winchester, Remington, Federal, CCI and Hornady. I'd be looking at the rifle.

Dennis.
I would hazard a guess that you haven't tried the original Winchester Supreme .17 HMR ammo. I have never made it through a box without multiple failures to fire. Heck, you usually have at least one misfire per magazine. That is through 2 different Savage bolt guns. My Montana buddy's Marlin experienced similar results with hat ammo.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:45 PM
SHOVELHEAD82
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Only FTF ammunition in my Browning T Bolt or my friend's identical but two years older T Bolt was Winchester. About 10% after rechambering the rounds, maybe 15 percent upon first loading and firing.

We compared the lot numbers, his were purchased at Bass Pro, mine at Cabelas. This was in 2016. Same lot.

He was ready to toss them in the dud can at our club, I said not so fast. I took them home and contacted Winchester customer service. They were responsive to my inquiry, sent a UPS pickup label.

A week or so a check was received. Never received a reason for the defective ammunition, I assume the priming was faulty.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:26 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Bum luck. Any chance you have some pictures of fired shell casings?
Old 09-27-2018, 01:40 PM
Longhair1957
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When the hmr first came out I bought a 77/17. It grouped poorly. Sold it and bought a Cooper 57m LVT, it grouped well.
I sold it 8 years ago and bought AR’s when the political climate changed.
I recently picked up another. A CZ 455 American. I’ve found the A17 ammo to group very well in mine. I’m sure it would group better with a more powerful optic. But I’ve got it for a walk around jack rabbit/ small varmint gun so it has a Leupold 2x7 on it.
But I’ve been happier with the current ammo than before.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:20 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Thesandman has the quick and sure answer: try the same ammunition in a friend's heretofore reliable rifle. Those partial boxes of ammunition hold the key to understanding the problem; don't just throw them out!

I guess we all have our own experiences, but I don't recall a single misfire in an Anschutz 1717, a VQ semi-auto, a Cooper Jackson Squirrel, a Winchester 1885, and probably some others I can't recall, after firing 5 or 6 bricks, so 2500 - 3000 rounds, early and late production ammunition, fired when old and when new. If there were a misfire, I just don't remember it, so it couldn't be many. I will say my groups don't seem to be quite as tight, but that may have been enthusiasm for the then-new round, and the rifles that shot that well have been replaced with others since.

The only serious misfire issue I've ever had was with a very old box of .22 LR Remington Golden Bullets in a very faded box. I just took the box, since it was handy and quick, to the range with a newly restocked Mauser 340 sporter. At least half misfired and some of the rounds that fired exhibited failed cases. I was sick, thinking I had spent all that time and effort restocking and customizing an old rifle just to learn it had a bad chamber, or something. Hurried home and back to the range with some other ammunition, and every round was "golden" (no pun).

Stranger things have happened than two rifles having similar problems, and they may be happening for different reasons. Humans really tend to be one-dimensional in their thinking, especially when it comes to problem solving. While often an issue can be traced to a single problem, sometimes it's multiple problems causing one issue.

Endeavor to persevere!

TBR
Old 09-27-2018, 02:24 PM
anwaee2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Same problem with my 22wmr and Horady V-Max. Never had a problem until I bought a new brick and I would say 20 out of 50 never fired the first time thru and some not until the third time thru. This is a new problem with both my 25MN and a fairly new (less than 400 rounds) CZ 512 and a really new new CZ 455. My vote is for the ammo.