Semi long term holster storage - Best material? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:18 AM
baglock1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Semi long term holster storage - Best material?

In an effort to reorganize the safe, I ordered a molle panel to mount to to inside of the door. I'm mounting all my handguns on it so as to free up the entire safe for long guns. Currently, one side is long guns and the other side is handguns sitting on shelves.

For the autoloaders, I'm using simple straps that attach to the molle and they seem to secure the firearm just fine. For the revolvers however, I'm have trouble getting the straps to attach in such a way that the revolvers are adequately secured. My intent therefore, is to use holsters with molle adapters.

Since I rarely shoot revolvers though, they may sit in the holsters undisturbed for ~12 months at a time. My concern is that sitting that long, the holsters may result in blueing wear. I live in a relatively dry climate but leather is still not a consideration for me. Thus, it comes down to hard Kydex or Cordura (i.e. ballistic nylon) holsters. Of the two, I'm leaning towards Cordura.

My plan would be to clean them, wipe them down with a very thin layer of gun oil, and put them away. I'd probably pull them a few times in the following months for a quick inspection but assuming no issues, would probably get to the point where I pulled them ever 1-2 years to do a quick re-clean, oil treat, and put them away again.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-21-2018, 11:26 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I have a couple handguns in Kydex holsters that have been sitting in my safe for 3-4 years. As long as you oil them before storage they should be fine. I usually go through all my firearms about twice a year and relube them but some of the handguns haven't needed it. As a precaution I would probably pull them out and take a quick look at them every few months, but I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:42 AM
baglock1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the info Nick. It sounds like your situation is very similar to mine with regards to frequency of use. I'll give Kydex another look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2018, 11:45 AM
Hovannes
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've found Cordura to be deceptively abrasive. Just sayin'
Old 01-21-2018, 12:06 PM
baglock1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hmm, 1 vote for Kydex and 1 vote against Cordura... Definitely time to reevaluate my initial thoughts.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:00 AM
Gizzy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
For a revolver, I would choose a GOOD leather holster, and NOT store the gun in it. The chemicals used for tanning the hide can make the gun rust. All holsters will wear on a guns finish, but if you plane to store it, I would remove it from any holster and store them separately. This way the material of the holster does not matter. I HATE plastic holsters for revolvers. I prefer leather for all of my handguns. I am old fashioned I guess.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:55 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't store guns in their holsters; the leather holsters are stored in zip lock bags. I feel besides protecting from scratches, it helps them retain their oil, and it seems to work. The nylon, plastic, etc. holsters are just stored in a box.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:04 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I store pistols in bdrm drawers and in the safe and would be dubious about leaving them in anything with close contact like a holster of whatever material without frequent use and re-oiling. JMO
Old 01-23-2018, 11:28 PM
Hovannes
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All my handguns sleep in the buff, but if I did store them in anything for the long term it would be in my old GI wool combat boot socks---plenty of airflow to guard against moisture and cushioning to protect against gun safe-rash.
Plus they are fashionably olive drab.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:36 PM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wouldn't store a gun in a holster. Placed cartridges in a leather (western) gun belt and left them there. All of the brass under the loops turned green. Glad I didn't have a gun in the holster.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:42 AM
CraigC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
For what the OP wants to do, cordura holsters will work fine and would even be preferable. I just don't recommend them for actual use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
For a revolver, I would choose a GOOD leather holster, and NOT store the gun in it. The chemicals used for tanning the hide can make the gun rust. All holsters will wear on a guns finish, but if you plane to store it, I would remove it from any holster and store them separately. This way the material of the holster does not matter. I HATE plastic holsters for revolvers. I prefer leather for all of my handguns. I am old fashioned I guess.
A good holster will be made of vegetable tanned leather and that does not ever cause rust. What causes rust is that leather absorbs moisture from the atmosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
I don't store guns in their holsters; the leather holsters are stored in zip lock bags. I feel besides protecting from scratches, it helps them retain their oil, and it seems to work. The nylon, plastic, etc. holsters are just stored in a box.
Not a good idea for leather storage. Leather needs to breathe.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:30 PM
jerryray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I store guns in commercial silicone impregnated cotton gun socks after wiping with an oiled cloth, then into the safe. Never had a problem with rust and it helps prevent scratches and other wear.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:03 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
even with low humidity all it takes is some moisture to condense to make your guns rust.

any contact point could cause an issue. I had rust start on my 1927A3 and another rifle on the barrel where they rested against a barrel rest.

As far as what you have, i take into consideration what type of guns they are. If they are just plain service guns with some type of new coating, why worry? If they are blued, maybe yes, but if its a cheapo gun, again, why worry. If they are tupperware guns, then again why worry?

If you put them in any gun rug/holster, i would check them every so often and make sure everything is good.