Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:46 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
a pitch for the 77

Having made my own 22 mag dies some time ago, the rifle we played with quick load was the 77. It was, at the time the strongest 22 mag repeater action. If your going to play with custom wmr you will eventually hit some high pressures even with quick load.

Just a thought any way.

The ruger American stainless looks really neat, just shot one today and it was clean and put together better than the cz, savage, and marlin.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:26 AM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think the best bang for the buck in 22 WMR is the Ruger American Rimfire standard length barrel. Mine shot great right out of the box. I bought it new, my first 22 Mag. I have two other 22 Mags, a used Marlin XT22M (wood stock) and a CZ 452 full stock. Of the three, the RAR is the most consistently accurate, the CZ is second, the Marlin third. The RAR has a Nikon 3-9x40 AO scope, the Marlin an old Weaver 3-9x38 AO scope, and the CZ a Leupold 2-7x28 rimfire scope. Average group sizes at 50 yards, across at least four different ammo types are:

RAR = 0.68, CZ = 0.86, Marlin = 0.96.

The RAR is not only accurate, but has that nice Ruger rotary mag, solid-feeling synthetic stock with interchangeable Hi/Lo inserts, a very nice trigger, and was $260 new. The CZ looks way better, has that quirky but functional full stock, is also quite accurate (except with the Hornady V-Max), but was north of $400 used. The Marlin stock is pretty plain wood, shoots very close to the other two with 40g ammo but fades on the 30g ammo, also has a very nice trigger (seems both Marlin & Ruger copied the Savage design), and was $190 used.

So bang for the buck? Depends on how many bucks. If I had to keep only one, I'd keep the RAR for accuracy & durability. But I'd hate to sell the CZ 452 FS. The Marlin, well that could be replaced pretty easily.

I also had a CZ 452 American and a Henry H001TM in 22WMR, but sold those. Sometimes I do stupid stuff...

Last edited by cabin22; 10-29-2017 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Correct scope info
Old 10-29-2017, 08:29 AM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
Yeah I picked up a like new 983T synthetic stock a ways back for around 100.00 bucks. It shoots 5 shots of CCI or Win Mag ammo into 1" at 100yds off the bench. All I did to it was put a 3x9 Bushnell on it and a pen spring in the trigger. Those "JM" Marlins are shooters. Thats why I suggested a Marlin but from what I read the Savages are about the same.
Oh, I think that's the best bang for the buck deal I've heard of in a while. Nice score! But not a realistic expectation for someone looking for a new/used gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2017, 05:04 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
My old Marlin 25M was very accurate, but the trigger felt like the safety was on. I wish I had it today. It would have a new rifle-basix trigger and be fantastic. Oh well, I do want another mag, so I continue to browse the gun stores.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:56 PM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Cottrell View Post
My old Marlin 25M was very accurate, but the trigger felt like the safety was on. I wish I had it today. It would have a new rifle-basix trigger and be fantastic. Oh well, I do want another mag, so I continue to browse the gun stores.
Swapping out the factory trigger spring for a "just right" pen spring did wonders for my old Marlin 25N trigger. The newer Marlin triggers are much, much better.

Last edited by cabin22; 10-29-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:05 PM
Blackwolfe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Picked up a used Marlin XT22M with wood stock and Nikon rimfire scope awhile back for $200.00. If it has been fired, it wasn't much, just a slight mark on the magazine follower. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but if it shoots half as good as my XT22 in .22LR I'll be pleased. If you are patient, there are some good used deals to be found. Wouldn't hesitate to get a Ruger RAR in .22 mag either.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:29 AM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Another vote for the RAR.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:00 AM
skippy4570

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
77/22WMR owner here and while I'd love to recommend it, I honestly can't at the current retail price. I acquired mine when they were $400 for the stainless/synthetic model and it's way more accurate than I am. To me, it is worth every penny.... but knowing that the price has doubled on them and the chance of getting good accuracy has not, I'd pass on it today.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:45 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
Ruger American Rimfire, by far. Great adjustable trigger, rotary magazine, adjustable stock comb & length. I love mine in .22 magnum!
Plus 1 here. When I first got mine I thought it was a freak because it shot so well, but after reading some posts by other members I find mine is closer to the norm then a freak. I just wish my 22lr shot as well.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:14 PM
South_Pender

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
Thinking of getting my first 22 mag. A buddy and me want to experiment with some custom 22 mag rounds and I was wondering what is the best bang for the buck in 22 mag rifles?
I know in LR, 10/22s can be accurate as well as savage and cz's.
I just looked at a new ruger 77/22 mag (I think thats what it was), but I've read that you have to put quite a bit of money into one make it equal to a savage, is this true? And by equal I mean accurate.
You don't mention a budget, but if accuracy is important, the Anschutz 1516 is worth considering. Maybe not the "best bang for the buck," but maybe simply the best.

I'm curious about this "custom 22 mag rounds" reference. Do you mean handloads? Do guys actually do this?
Old 12-04-2017, 05:36 PM
Aixsponsa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wanted something Compact to carry on the trapline with me, and I bought a Ruger American Rimfire Compact in 22 WMR.

I'll say it now that I couldn't be more pleased with it. It groups several types of ammo very, very well, and it's exactly what I needed. I enjoy shooting it so much that I'm not sure if a day has passed since buying it a month ago that I haven't shot at least a half of box of ammo through it. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a Compact bolt action WMR.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:47 PM
Ruger1300

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger Americans are great but I like the Predator models the best. Medium heavy weight barrel and itís already threaded. I have one in 22lr and 17 hmr and couldnít be happier. I also have a regular RAR in 22 mag and itís a great rifle. For the price they are hard to beat and you get the Ruger mags.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:18 AM
rth1959rth

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I would suggest a RAR also. I am very impressed with my RAR stainless. Mine is a 22 LR. Nicely finished stainless with adjustable synthetic stock that is great for foul weather hunting, threaded muzzle, very good trigger with some very simple mods, can use dovetail 22 rings or separate bases and rings as it is drilled and taped from the facory, good metal bedding blocks inside the stock, and ACURATE! Oh, cheap flush fitting mags. I just wish that the safety locked down the bolt.

If I was in the market for a 22 mag, this is definitely the one that I would get. LOTS OF BANG FOR THE BUCK!
Old 12-10-2017, 06:51 PM
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Bad luck with Rugers

I personally had real bad luck with a 77/ss Mag rifle that I couldn't get to shoot decent groups no matter what ammo I tried, and I tried about 10 different makes. Adjusted trigger, free floated barrel & bedded it...No luck..Bought it brand new and got disgusted really fast. Moved on to a Marlin 25M for half the price and it was a tackdriver.
Bought a Brand new Ruger #1 in 22 Hornet and that sucked as well. Sent it back to Ruger and came back just as inaccurate.. Did the front-end accuracy mod and reloaded about 8 types of reloads...Still sucked..
Ironically my buddy has two Rugers that shoot great..These two Rugers weren't cheap and I took a beating trying to sell them. Haven't owned a Ruger since.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:38 PM
Lf540

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd consider the ruger american if just jumping into a new 22wmr, great reputation for accuracy and you can't beat their service. The adjustable stock with pillar bedding is a nice bonus.

However if you can find a good deal on an old marlin bolt gun I'd personally go that route and get a rifle basix trigger. Same if not more accurate in my experience with a better trigger for a similar price. Good luck

Last edited by Lf540; 12-12-2017 at 09:48 PM.