Garrow Firearms Development 17hmr locked bolt gas operated AR upper - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2017, 02:17 PM
Frank3

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrowDev View Post
Hey there, Frank3! This is Mike Garrow. I wanted to answer some of your questions that weren't specific to Jesse or Eric. Here goes nothin'!

1.) We’ve run 16-22” barrels and the 18” provided the best velocity and the lowest standard deviation with most ammo. Any change in barrel length will most likely require a larger gas port. You can, in fact, replace the gas block with an adjustable one to fine-tune it. However, the barrel is measured from the breach and inside the receiver about 1.5”, so it appears similar to a 16” barrel.

2.) It’s a standard, low-profile gas block located closer to the breach than on a pistol.

3.) The gas block is not adjustable because it is set up to run only the 17HMR ammo.

4.) Yes, any charging handle will work. I happen to be a lefty, myself, so this was important to me

5.) We run a mil-spec trigger, tested Geissele triggers, and the only issue we had was with Velocity triggers being on the inconsistent side. The owner of the company recommends using their steel-case trigger. We haven’t tested every trigger on the market, but there’s no reason not to use aftermarket.

Also, the bolt is designed much like the AR15 where it prevents the firing pin from hitting the cartridge unless it is locked in battery, preventing out-of-battery discharges.
Mike:

Thanks for the info:

I forgot about the 1.5" recess (just like a 22lr upper).

Just a few questions.

1. Suppression wiithout an adjustable gas block?

Is that going to pose a problem with the cyclic rate, lock time, buffer weights etc....

I plan on getting one of these (saving pennies and looking where I can sell stuff off) but I would use it almost 100% suppressed.

Is there going to be a problem with that?

2. Any issues with ruptured cases or anything of that nature (I am assuming the locked bolt solves those issues).

Thanks