Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-15-2003, 05:00 PM
Dave1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Browning .22 Semi-auto

Hi whats the browning .22 semi-auto like to shoot?accuracy?reliabilty?easy to load?easy to scope?
Old 01-16-2003, 08:03 PM
MikeP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dave, I believe this gun is the first, or one of the first, successful automatic .22s ever made, and the fact that it is still in production (and copied by a knock-off Chinese version) is a testiment to its wonderful 80+ year-old design by ole John Browning.

I have two of these guns, one in .22 Long Rifle and the other in .22 short. Both are great guns. The Long Rifle is for hunting, the Short is for fun. (As Jessie Jackson might put it).

I can get the classic 0.50-inch groups at 50 yards with the Long Rifle version and its favorite ammo. It has killed a boatload of squirrels over the years. I use a simple 4X Scope.

I use the Short for closer action, and sometimes use .22 CBs that are quieter than most airguns but can kill squirrels and rabbits surprisingly well up to its range limitations. And most of the time, those low-powered rounds even cycle semiautomatically in this wonderful little gun.

Takedown is amazingly simple; in fact, it is the easiest gun to take down that I have ever owned. The entire trigger group comes out in two seconds with a simple, no-tool, push-pull motion that is described in the operator's manual, which makes cleaning as easy as saying "spray it down and put it back in". The barrel comes apart from the receiver with the same speed and ease, and it can easily be adjusted if it ever were to become loose to assure the barrel-receiver connection remains tight, secure and accurate.

You can't go wrong with this classic Browning for a lifetime of good shooting.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:37 AM
Dave1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How many cartriges does this gun hold?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2003, 08:02 PM
MikeP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dave, I can't tell you for sure because I'm speaking from memory, but I believe the Long Rifle holds about 11, and the Short holds maybe 16 or so. I don't fill up the magazines to the top, so my knowledge comes from reading the manuals. And I may be off by one or two, since I haven't read them in years.
Old 01-19-2003, 02:31 AM
reg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love my little Browning. If you want accuracy with a scope get the Miroku version which has a tapped barrel rather than the FN version with the grooved receiver. Because of the takedown barrel a receiver monted scope gives less than optimum accuracy.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:51 PM
MikeP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Reg, that's a good point about the scope mounting.

My .22 Long Rifle is a Belgium model built in the 1950s with the grooved receiver. About 25 years ago, I got a good gunsmith to tap scope mount holes in the barrel for the very reason you noted. That way, if the receiver ever needs tightening to the barrel, your accuracy remains good and the sighting does not change after tightening the barrel.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:53 PM
PigPen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave1
How many cartriges does this gun hold?
15 rounds. The tube magazine is in the stock.You can load the magazine through the butt plate opening or, if you don't mind scratching the stock, through a hole in the side of the stock.

It is light, cute and little. All of my grandchildren (except the three year old) and both my daughters in law havw learned to shoot with one of these. They are GREAT for children and folks who find longer heavier rifles difficult. Very reliable. Not problematic.

As someone above said, they are good plinking rifles; they are not competitive bench rest rifles and were never intended to be!

PigPen
Old 01-22-2003, 01:25 PM
Frodo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My SA 22

I bought one last year. Mine is the Miroku version, Grade I. LIke everybody said, this is a fun rifle to shoot. There's really nothing for me to add in that area. The feature I like best about this rifle is the fact that it is unique. There's no other design like it that I have ever heard of. It was designed during a time when aesthetics and balance were just a important as function. I haven't seen a recent model semiauto 22 that looks as good as this (I've heard the Thompson Center is in the same aesthetic league, but I have yet to see one). Mine holds 11 LRs.