Remington 513T W/24 Inch Barrel! QUESTIONS!! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-01-2005, 04:33 AM
.22 LongRifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remington 513T W/24 Inch Barrel! QUESTIONS!!

Got a Rem. 513T today in good condition. From post here this gun was made Aprill, 1946. I would rate it at about 65 t0 70% due to the fact it has 3 spots of rust about .7500 to 1.0 in size on the barrel and some rust on the rear sight adjusting knobs. It has Refield front and rear sights, recever at the back where bolt is has been drill and tapped, and the barrel is drill and tapped in two places. Stock is in nice shape, and in the barrel chanel it has the serial number of the gun which also is a match. All 513Ts I have seen have had a 27 inch bull barrel on them. This one has a 24 inch bull barrel and the bore looks very good. The serial number on the bottom of the barrel matches the bolt. The stocks looks to be OEM and has no markings of any kind. This gun feeds and works slick as snot on a door knob!
My question's,, I would think this gun's barrel has been cut off and redone at 24 inches due to bore wear or some other type damage. Do any of you have a 513t like this? Do you know who did this kind of work on these guns? Who ever did it knew what they were doing for it looks factory. Or, am I wrong here and Remington did make a 24 inch bull barrel 513T? HELP!!! Hope to shoot this hog in a day or two.
.22LongRifle
Old 10-01-2005, 05:27 AM
dbuckbee
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It sounds like you have a very normal 513T that someone had a gunsmith shorten the barrel on. Shortening the barrel can be done for any number of reasons, but it was probably done to make the rifle more user friendly, and not due to any damage. However, I don't know this for sure.
Check the crown of the barrel to make sure it's not damaged.
Since functioning seems very good, and the bore looks good, I would shoot it and see how it does. Probably a better grade of ammo will shoot best in it, although you don't have to buy the highly expensive stuff. The two 513T's I have shoot very well with the Augila Match ammo that's about a buck for a box of 50. Wolf Match Target shoots good too. Maybe try several brands to see what the rifle likes best. If you do a search here on Rimfirecentral, you might be able to find what others shoot in their 513T's that works well for them.
After you do some shooting with your new rifle, let us know how it does.
Sounds like a pretty neat rifle.. I kind of like having a shorter barrel than the 27" ones I have.
Good luck with yours, and thanks for posting about it.
Keep in touch,
Don

Last edited by dbuckbee; 10-01-2005 at 05:29 AM.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:13 PM
grandparem
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Was it cut off and rechambered on the receiver end? Someone may have wanted a "match" chamber. Date code would most likely be missing if this was done. Also, with subsonic match ammo, they may have felt they were losing some velocity with the 27" barrel, although I have some doubts this is true with all .22 ammo due to different burn rates on brands of powder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2005, 03:29 AM
.22 LongRifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
grandparem~~~The barrel was cut off from the muzzel end. You may be right on the losing velocity with the 27 inch barrel, who knows!!! I was in hopes there might be someone else out there with a shorter barrel but it don't look good so far. I have been a machinest for 29 years now and I can tell you the muzzel has been face with a 11 degree crown on a lathe, and of course the front sight dove tail milled back in superb! Again, it looks factory, for who ever done the machine work knew thier stuff! One other note here, the blueing is superb, from muzzel to end of reciver,no cold blueing or different color here and it is ALL the high polish blue of many years ago. O-well, Thanks Guys~~~~.22LongRifle
Old 10-04-2005, 07:15 AM
dbuckbee
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The more you post about the rifle, the more it sounds like you found a very nice rifle.
One thing you might want to check is the sear to see if it's ok. It serves as a bolt stop, and the two sears on mine were beat up from the bolt hitting them, So, I got new ones from Gunparts.com, Numrich, and put them in. The one rifle had a good 2 pound pull as received, so I just cleaned the trigger parts good and left it alone. The other one had a not so nice 4+ pound pull. I got it down to 3 pounds and it's good now. There really isn't a whole lot you can do with that trigger due to the design of it, other than cleaning everything good, and lubing it. I used a molly lube on all the moving parts to reduce friction.
I did clean the barrels out well with JB Bore cleaner, about 100 strokes with a rod and a brush with a patch loaded with the JB wrapped over it. I used a 17 caliber rod and brush with the patch cut to give a nice tight fit in the bore. I didn't do anything to the bedding of the barrel and action in the stock.
After all of the cleaning and trigger fiddeling, the rifles shoot far better than I thought they would. I have target blocks mounted on the barrels of each, and used a Unertl 24X scope for ammo testing at 50 yards. Both rifles shot well withing 1/2" with the ammo I mentioned above, I don't recall off the top what the groups were, but I think each shot about 3/8" for five shots.
Let us know how yours shoots.
Sure like the idea of the shorter barrel on yours.
Don
Edit to add: You're probably going to have to shoot lots of different kinds of ammo to see what shoots best in your rifle. But, the expense of buying several different makes and types of ammo is worth it in the long run, as when you find that "magic" ammo the rifle likes, it's like finding the Holy Grail.. It feels soooooo good...

Last edited by dbuckbee; 10-04-2005 at 07:36 AM.