Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:49 AM
Doodaddy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEE View Post
We're checking on that and another step might be to remove the relist option... however, that would be an added inconvenience to ones that have deals fall through.
In that event, the user shouldn't have closed the ad, but only marked it as "Deal Pending". If the deal falls through, the ad status changed back to open. Happened to me before.

Simple rules being abused puts moderators in a tight spot and if the actions can't be limited by the capabilities of the forum software, well that leaves less desirable options. I don't know what options this version of Vbulletin offers as far as classifieds go.

This will involve a bit of legwork from a moderator(s), but could the ads be put through an approval process prior to showing up as a live ad? Might be a simpler way to curb abused relisting before it happens if Vbulletin won't allow it from a restriction perspective.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:03 AM
kimberkook

TPC Rating: 
100% (94)
I hope we can avoid the temptation to over regulate this or devise elaborate cyber policing capabilities. I think simple reminders of the rules to those who abuse them will be sufficient in almost all cases.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:53 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEE View Post
Going forward... since Flysalot and myself are not here 24/7 and can't be everywhere at once, please report violations of this rule... it would definitely help us in keeping a lid on this issue.

We're checking on that and another step might be to remove the relist option... however, that would be an added inconvenience to ones that have deals fall through.
I would think the percentage of deals that fall through would be pretty small. It might make sense for relisting these cases to come through a request to a moderator.

Abuse would become apparent quickly, as would the perpetrators.

If not a moderator, maybe someone would be willing to become a "classifieds czar". We don't want to over burden the moderators. We'll just let them deal with the abusers...
Old 08-09-2016, 11:24 AM
JEE

TPC Rating: 
100% (66)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodaddy View Post
This will involve a bit of legwork from a moderator(s), but could the ads be put through an approval process prior to showing up as a live ad? Might be a simpler way to curb abused relisting before it happens if Vbulletin won't allow it from a restriction perspective.
That's a thought and I'll mention that in the think tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberkook View Post
I hope we can avoid the temptation to over regulate this or devise elaborate cyber policing capabilities. I think simple reminders of the rules to those who abuse them will be sufficient in almost all cases.
I would hope that running the notice ad would raise enough awareness to curtail most of the abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
I would think the percentage of deals that fall through would be pretty small. It might make sense for relisting these cases to come through a request to a moderator.

Abuse would become apparent quickly, as would the perpetrators.

If not a moderator, maybe someone would be willing to become a "classifieds czar". We don't want to over burden the moderators. We'll just let them deal with the abusers...
I like this and it will definitely be mentioned.

Doing away with the relisting option completely and have it reserved as a mod only function would stop a lot of it... of course there might be a few that would go through the process of making a complete new ad to keep it on the main page, but a few to catch would be better than a lot.

I keep coming back to the nuclear option... doing away with newly listed ads on the main page and reserving the space for featured ads and then having a "Newly Listed Ads" tab at the top and this could have multiple pages like the forum so one can browse through what's been listed for the past few days rather than the ads just fade away in a short time as they do on the main page. Even if this option is not used, I would like to see multiple pages added to main page as I feel that the ability to search through newly listed items is something that TPC is been lacking.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:17 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
HA HA HA HA!!!

No wonder why this guy's not getting any buyers:

"Make sure your ffl will accept shipment from an individual with copy of DL."

I know of NO ffl that would accept a shipment that way!!!
Many of them do in Arizona. Otherwise there is an unnecessary FFL charge on the seller's end.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:24 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledslnger View Post
They do in Iowa.
All my FFLs in VT do it as well. Never been an issue.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:01 PM
TLARbb

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Once an ad falls to the second page, the chances of it selling seem to be greatly reduced. If it falls off the 2nd page it is not likely to sell here. Just an observation. In addition, nothing I have relisted here has ever sold. I'm not complaining, just sharing my experience.

EJ