Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-01-2005, 12:21 PM
flintman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unhappy The Browning 52's

Back around 1993 or so I bought a Winchester 52,1 of 5,000.Recieved it and was bitterly disappointed with the workmanship of the gun.Never fired it the first time,never kept it either.
Have you Browning 52 owners been more satisfied than I was?I hope so!
Old 04-01-2005, 02:39 PM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've been very happy with my Browning 52C, bought NIB in 1992. The trigger was typical lawyerish, but I've had that fixed. It's a great shooter and looks sharp too.

Old 04-01-2005, 06:05 PM
Rembrandt
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

banned for advocating animal cruelty
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've got three of the Browning 52's, two are still NIB...also have an original Winchester 52B Sporter (1948). The reproductions are not as nice as the originals....they were also about 1/6 what I paid for the real thing.

Last edited by Rembrandt; 04-01-2005 at 06:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2005, 11:50 PM
Grizzly1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
flintman, Could you be more specific, what exactly was a bitter disappointment? I am in the market for one and would appreciate it if you could give me a good run down on your old gun's flaws.

-Ron
Old 04-07-2005, 12:55 AM
TLAnut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Love Mine!!!

I had one on my "wish" list for a few years. I was at the Indy 1500 gunshow 3 years ago and had found nothing of interest, I had money in my pocket and nothing to spend it on. (That surely does make for a long drive home) On my way out, I saw a gentleman holding a scoped 52 sporter and he was talking to a dealer. I stopped about 5 feet away and let them finish their talk. When he turned away, I asked him if he was trying to sell, what turned out to be a Browning 52 with a Redfield 1 1/2X5 Wideview scope on it. He said he was and I asked to see he gun. No ncks, no scratches, no bluing wear, 2 xtra mags. I asked his price and it I thought it sounded like a bargain. I hesitated a few seconds and he said "But I'm open to an offer."
I offered him $50 less than his asking price and he said we had a deal. I peeled off $350 and had a pleasant drive home. The scope sits on my Mini-30, and the Browning now wears a 2X7 Leupold. A beautiful gun and it shoots most Hi-Velocity ammo very well. One of these days I'll have the trigger worked on, but as for now, I'll just enjoy shooting it.
Oh yeah....my dad wants me to find one for him, if I can find the same kind of deal!!!!
Old 04-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Macc

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
80x,
Why is the scope so high? Is this your sil. gun or is there a problem with the bolt handle hitting the scope? Just curious as I am interested in one of these...especially if TLAnut can find me one of those deals he got.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:45 PM
gordonmcw

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'd guess it's a bolt handle issue.. the scope on mine is pretty high, too, just to clear the bolt handle.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:55 PM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macc
80x,
Why is the scope so high? Is this your sil. gun or is there a problem with the bolt handle hitting the scope? Just curious as I am interested in one of these...especially if TLAnut can find me one of those deals he got.
These are the Browning rings recommended for the gun. This is due to the bolt handle lift. It's not a factor, at least for me. Seems to be just right.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:28 AM
Macc

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Thanks for the info. on the rings you two.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:17 AM
Skooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Browning 52 that looks just like the one pictured, including the high Browning bases. I'm using a Leupold 6-X AO with target knobs and fine crosshairs. My problem with this gun is the atrocious trigger pull. If it had the same adjustable trigger pull as my Winchester 52-C target rifle it would be in my estimation the ultimate .22 sporter.

How difficult is it to improve the trigger pull on the Browning? Is it something a local gunsmith can do or would I need to send it somewhere? Where specifically? Who can do quality trigger work on a gun like this and duplicate the trigger of the original 52-C?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:35 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Have you already removed the limiter pin and changed the trigger pull spring?
Old 04-12-2005, 01:59 PM
Skooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey Camster, thanks for the response.

But, uhh, huh? I know nothing of which you speak. What does that mean? I'm just a shooter and don't like to tinker with them. I know nothing about such things. In all seriousness please elaborate. I would like to start with simple solutions, and progress as necessary.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
A simple job to do.This gun,like my Winchester repro,made with an "adjustable trigger" which is, in fact, non-adjustable as the gun is delivered.Remove the action from the stock.There is a pin through the trigger mechanism which prohibits the trigger pull adjustment screw from being adjusted.Remove it with a punch.You can now remove that screw(or even just lighten the existing pull a bit),which allows the spring to be removed.Replace that spring with a lighter one of similar length,being sure the new one is under some tension when the screw is replaced..Some use a ball point pen spring,personally I think that is too light.Others here might suggest another source, your local gunsmith should be able to help also if you show him your stock spring-a search on the Winchester forum may shed more light on this subject.
The difference in the trigger pull will be dramatic,maybe not quite as good as a target gun,but %%%% good for any sporter,and makes the gun a pleasure to shoot.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:49 PM
Skooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the info guys. I'll look into that.