!#@%&*! pictures! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:16 PM
kBob
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
!#@%&*! pictures!

There must be some way to post pictures on RFC directly from my computor's files with out having to post them someplace else first!

ome one please show me where the stumps are (obscure referrence to very old fishing/religious joke of Non PC variety)

How can (or ca nit at all) be done?

If it is possible there should be a sticky and it should be easy to find in the FAQ.

I really want to post some poor pictures that will make everyone else's work and photography skills look great.

Blasted att.net won't let me onto my own web board to move pictures there or I would not be asking.

-kBob
Old 02-05-2010, 04:21 PM
amblerrl

TPC Rating: 
100% (125)
pics

in the classifieds you can post pictures in your ads straight from your documents folder.
here in the forums they have to be hosted thru an outside source.
doesn't make since to me either but i finally figured it out.
there are or was stickies here on how to post pics.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:21 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
1- go to http://www.photobucket.com and create an account.
2- upload your pictures.
3-click on the "IMG Code" to copy the link.
4-right click on your message body and click "PASTE"
5-click the preview button to make sure it worked.
6-when finished with the message hit submit.
7-A WARNING: if you change the location of your pictures, you have to edit your IMG Code link, otherwise the photo's will not show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2010, 04:49 PM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kBob View Post
There must be some way to post pictures on RFC directly from my computor's files with out having to post them someplace else first!

If it is possible there should be a sticky and it should be easy to find in the FAQ.
There is a sticky somewhere and it is in the FAQ but I'm not going to look for it right now. Instead I'll point you here:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/_charitydrive.php

You can't post pics as attachments to your post unless you are a member of Team RFC. You join the team by contributing to their charity drive. That said, it is still easier and (IMO) better to go via a photo-hosting service such as photobucket. As a Team RFC member I could use the attachment approach if I wanted, but I use photobucket instead.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=222173

Old 02-05-2010, 05:02 PM
DairyMan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
-kBob
An image file must be hosted elsewhere, or else as soon as you turn your computer off no one else will be able to see the picture.

Wait up, just found something. Look in your picture folder, and on the left pane is the option "Publish this file to the web". I have never used this wizard, but suspect it will direct you to a MS third party hosting site.

Good luck
Old 02-05-2010, 05:39 PM
nwcid
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice thing about a hosting site is that you can use the links on almost any website.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:00 PM
deadwooddick
RFC Sponsor
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (32)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyFan View Post
1- go to http://www.photobucket.com and create an account.
2- upload your pictures.
3-click on the "IMG Code" to copy the link.

#3 NO LONGER WORKS AT PB, YOU HAVE TO "COMMAND C… THE LINK TEXT.

Quote:
4-right click on your message body and click "PASTE"
5-click the preview button to make sure it worked.
6-when finished with the message hit submit.
7-A WARNING: if you change the location of your pictures, you have to edit your IMG Code link, otherwise the photo's will not show.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:31 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
or right click and hit copy. I had forgotten about that, why they changed it I don't know. It still works if you have the picture maximized on PB.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:53 PM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=222173
Old 02-05-2010, 09:06 PM
piercfh
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use tiny pic. Pretty simple.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Sherk
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
The reason for posting pics off-site is to conserve RFC bandwidth. Text doesn't take much, but when you go hosting a ton of pictures, bandwidth usage goes through the roof. With an off-site hosted pic, the bandwidth usage is much less, as all RFC has to do is send some text about where to view the picture.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Beretta92
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use Image Shack @ Paste the URL into [img][/img] & Instant Pics..
Good Luck!

My Ruger Rimfires
Old 02-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Jim_WY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

ome one please show me where the stumps are (obscure referrence to very old fishing/religious joke of Non PC variety)

I really want to post some poor pictures that will make everyone else's work and photography skills look great.

Blasted att.net won't let me onto my own web board to move pictures there or I would not be asking.

-kBob
As others have said, you really cannot just link to a location within your PC. Even if you could make this work, that would mean that YOUR PC would be the "server", and every time someone wanted to see the photo, they'd be directly accessing the hard drive in YOUR PC. Unless you're set up to be a web server right there at your house, and are willing to leave your PC turned on at all times, and your personal internet connection can handle the traffic of barfing up that photo each and every time someone brings up your post, then you don't want that!

So there are three other options I can think of:

1. RFC hosts your photos. You upload the photo file to RFC, and THEY barf it up every time anyone anywhere brings up your post. That means that RFC has to store the photo on their servers and also transmit its data every time anyone views it. That adds to their costs, of course.

2. You set up a website of your own on someone else's server. There are a lot of ways to do this, and it can be fairly inexpensive to have your own site, but usually, you pay for the storage space so each photo you "host" at your site eats into that space.

3. You set up an account at a photo hosting site. Those range from free to not-too-expensive. I like Flickr's pro account because it has unlimited storage space and unlimited access. I can post multi-megabyte images and have millions of downloads and it's covered. I don't do that, but I could.

Mainly, because the space is unrestricted, I have no reason to ever remove a photo to "make space". And that means that any photo I embed in any post on any forum can be there forever.

Have you ever been reading a thread on here, and instead of seeing the photos someone posted, you see, instead, some icons showing that the link is broken, or little icons saying that the photo was removed? Bugs ya, doesn't it!

Well, if you have a photo hosting account that restricts how much data you can have posted, you, too, will be guilty of inflicting that disappointment on everyone yourself because you'll have no choice but to "cull" your posted photos periodically to stay below your limit.

So look for a photo hosting service that allows unlimited storage or at least has enough storage that you'll never need to delete or move the pics. Some are free, most are very cheap.

PBase and Flickr are the two hosting services that come to mind right away. But I don't think PBase has an "unlimited storage" option. I haven't used Photobucket, but a LOT of the broken links I see in old threads seem to say "photobucket" on them for whatever that's worth.

Last edited by Jim_WY; 02-06-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:11 PM
kBob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thanks guys. guess it makes sense. another thing to do.

-kBob
Old 02-07-2010, 03:48 PM
DairyMan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Also make sure you resize your photos so they load quicker.

They're only going to be viewed onscreen, no ones gonna print photos of them

I resize mine to about 450 pixels wide, and I'm thinking that may be too big.

Also try to crop 'em so that the focus is on the rifle, get rid of all the xtra background -- it all takes up space!

Looking forward to seeing your pics