Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:05 PM
.22 LongRifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New to me 510

Hello to all, picked up a 510 this pass firday in ok condition. Paid to much for it but I wanted it and I got it. I have been reading post here and all are talking about the 510 being a single shot. Thing is mine is a 6 shot mag. feeder. It looks to be OEM but i'm no expert in no way and don't claim to be so im here asking you guys (the experts) just what have I got here, a chop job or was the 510 offer in a clip feed gun? The thing feeds and works 100% an shoots super. Going by the litters on the barrel (E K) it was made 10/1941, am I right there? Also, the butt plate is cracked and is not a steel one but does say Remington on it. It has little spots of lite rust here and there but nothing big. The bore is in mint condition along with a very good trigger pull.
Please help!!! .22 LongRifle
Old 11-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Ralfus
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by .22 LongRifle View Post
Hello to all, picked up a 510 this pass firday in ok condition. Paid to much for it but I wanted it and I got it. I have been reading post here and all are talking about the 510 being a single shot. Thing is mine is a 6 shot mag. feeder. It looks to be OEM but i'm no expert in no way and don't claim to be so im here asking you guys (the experts) just what have I got here, a chop job or was the 510 offer in a clip feed gun? The thing feeds and works 100% an shoots super. Going by the litters on the barrel (E K) it was made 10/1941, am I right there? Also, the butt plate is cracked and is not a steel one but does say Remington on it. It has little spots of lite rust here and there but nothing big. The bore is in mint condition along with a very good trigger pull.
Please help!!! .22 LongRifle
What you have is a 511 with a 510 barrel installed. Maybe a replacement from long ago. Nice rifle. Does the safety automatically engage when you retract the bolt or does it stay off?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:23 PM
.22 LongRifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Safety

Ralfus, The safety stays off when you cycle the bolt. You have to put it on your self. So I've got a bubba spin off here right? Well I was over due to do something crazy, I should have know better. Thanks .22 LongRifle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Ralfus

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Quote:
Ralfus, The safety stays off when you cycle the bolt. You have to put it on your self. So I've got a bubba spin off here right? Well I was over due to do something crazy, I should have know better. Thanks .22 LongRifle
Please don't get me wrong. Your rifle is better than a normal 510. Your safety is functioning fine. When I asked about the safety I was trying to see if a 510 was converted to repeater or if a 511 had a 510 barrel installed. Only the 510 had the auto safety which was intended for beginning shooters and it's kind of a nuisance. Your rifle is all 511 repeater except for that little 0 stamped on the barrel. You did good.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:39 PM
white house
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Somebody help me here. There was a single shot bolt with a plastic loading dock and plastic shroud around the rear sights in the 70s and 80s. This model was also a tube or box magazine version as a repeater. It had a 24" barrel, and the bolt face remained unrotated ahead of the rear bolt which twisted in lock up and unlocking.
I had this single shot rifle for awhile and thought it was nice for the money.
I think the 5mm came out in the same type of rifle only altered somewhat to make up for the extra pressure. Anyone know what model this rifle is?
The OP here said 510 and I thought that was the model of this rifle but it was available in the 80s.
Or is it the 580?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:44 PM
.22 LongRifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm lost!!!

Well, was a 510 barrel stuck on a 511 reciver? I have no ideal what I have here. Who would have done this kind of switch-a-roo? The work looks as if Remington had done it. Man I have got to stay out of gun shops!!!! Thanks again. 22 LongRifle
Old 11-01-2009, 10:39 PM
2mene22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
the 580 series replaced the 510 series - 580's featured the multi rear lug bolt.
the line included 580, 581,582,591,592.540.541
Old 11-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Ralfus

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by white house View Post
Somebody help me here. There was a single shot bolt with a plastic loading dock and plastic shroud around the rear sights in the 70s and 80s. This model was also a tube or box magazine version as a repeater. It had a 24" barrel, and the bolt face remained unrotated ahead of the rear bolt which twisted in lock up and unlocking.
I had this single shot rifle for awhile and thought it was nice for the money.
I think the 5mm came out in the same type of rifle only altered somewhat to make up for the extra pressure. Anyone know what model this rifle is?
The OP here said 510 and I thought that was the model of this rifle but it was available in the 80s.
Or is it the 580?
You are describing a 580 single shot or possibly a 581 repeater with a single shot adaptor installed.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Ralfus

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Quote:
Well, was a 510 barrel stuck on a 511 reciver? I have no ideal what I have here. Who would have done this kind of switch-a-roo? The work looks as if Remington had done it. Man I have got to stay out of gun shops!!!! Thanks again. 22 LongRifle
You have a 511 that needed the barrel replaced for some reason. Maybe it got ringed by a squib load or it was shot with too much oil in the bore. Swapping barrels on this design is rather easy. Tap out two pins that hold the barrel in the receiver, slide the barrel out and push the replacement in. Sometimes it leaves a small gap between the barrel shoulder and receiver.

Your barrel is pretty early production, there should be a 5 digit serial number on the bottom of the barrel in front of the stock's forend.

It is also slightly possible that it left the factory this way.
Is the bolt shroud (beehive) color cased (swirly colors) or solid blue?
Is the bolt body dark/color cased or polished?
Color of the trigger and bolt handle?
Is the receiver grooved for a scope?
Old 11-02-2009, 02:05 AM
.22 LongRifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
More on 510 or 511

The beehive is showning color case harding along with about 1 inch or maybe less in front of the beehive, bolt body is or was at one time what i think is blued, not polished, the trigger along with the bolt knob shows some faint color case but they are blue. Also, the bolt handle or knob has a small amount of movement to it, is this normal? Plus, I've look and look at the bottom of the barrel under the forarm tip and I can't find any numbers there. There are no grooves in receiver. Thanks again~~.22 LongRifle

Last edited by .22 LongRifle; 11-02-2009 at 02:11 AM. Reason: More Info
Old 11-02-2009, 06:44 AM
schutzen-jager

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
i have a 511p that has as bbl. marked 510p - looks like it is original - original owner told me that it was not rebarreled or returned to factory for repair - monday morning production ? -
Old 11-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Ralfus

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Sounds like an early rifle and maybe the barrel is original. We have heard similiar stories. The loose bolt handle can be fixed easily. A partner helps though. Look at the square lug that the handle goes into. On the underside there may or may not be a dimple. You want to use a large center punch and heavy hammer to stake the square lug and tighten the fit of the handle. If there is already a dimple just deepen it. Having a partner hold the bolt in position with something under the lug is necessary.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:38 AM
.22 LongRifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
511 or 510

Thanks to all and a big thanks to Ralfus .
Old 11-02-2009, 04:33 PM
grandparem
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd bet at times Remington would be short of the 511 or even the 510 barrel and would substitute one for the other. The 512 barrel has the dovetails for the tube mag, so would not be as suitable, but the only difference in the 510 and 511 barrel is the model stamp. The date stamp is the assembly date, so it would be correct.