Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:20 PM
Starvy42

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
Man... drug up from a year ago!
Those VQ grips would be a lot nicer if they were stippled in the front.
But to my eye, they are not the equal of Mikey's
I also emailed VQ and asked if they were made like the Tuner grips with the back wrapped around, they are not !! they are open in the back for field stripping, I think that's one thing that makes Mike Turner's grip really nice is the feel all the way around the frame.

Last edited by Starvy42; 09-19-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:35 PM
jdowney

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I can make those - be easier with an example to go by, or at least a lot of photos. I make a sculpted grip for cetme/HK rifles currently, working on a palm shelf version, once that's done I could make a sample or two for my MkII if there's some interest.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:02 AM
gedden

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is definitely interest! I just got the volquartsen grips, but wood wraparound is too cool!
Old 09-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Starvy42

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedden View Post
There is definitely interest! I just got the volquartsen grips, but wood wraparound is too cool!

I just won some Mike Turner grips off ebay, here are some pictures.

Last edited by Starvy42; 09-30-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Starvy42

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedden View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsefly View Post
I talked to Mike a couple of months ago about these grips. I wanted a couple of pair for my Mk III's. He said that he no longer makes them.

Maybe we could talk someone who has a pair to send them to a duplicator and let all of us have a opportunity to own some. hint....hint......
Call me lucky, but when I seen those grips I knew I wanted some and watched ebay for about a year, to my luck they came up and I got them for $76.00 total. guess if you watch long enough they may come up again.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Plinker
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

The Foothills of the Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.
TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Congrates on finding the good look'n grips.

Do they fit good,without slip'n around on the grip frame?
I had to use a few dab's of bed'n compound to get mine to stay put.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:58 AM
jdowney

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Congratulations on the find!

I notice a lot of laminated wood used for these, is that an aesthetic preference do you think? I'm planning to use scrap hardwood I have already, but wasn't planning to laminate.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Starvy42

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes they did fit tight, that's the first thing I noticed when I went to install them, they almost snapped over the frame it was so precice. and no tweeking the screws. they were dead on.

OTE=Plinker;2581401] Congrates on finding the good look'n grips.

Do they fit good,without slip'n around on the grip frame?
I had to use a few dab's of bed'n compound to get mine to stay put.
[/QUOTE]
Old 10-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Starvy42

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am not sure why they use laminated wood so much, maybe someone else can chime in and answer that question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdowney View Post

I notice a lot of laminated wood used for these, is that an aesthetic preference do you think? I'm planning to use scrap hardwood I have already, but wasn't planning to laminate.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:17 PM
HighValleyRanch

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
laminate vs. solid

laminated give more strength and stability than solid wood structure.
Think of the strength of plywood vs. a similar size piece of wood the same thickness.
The cross directional grain of laminations give more stability as to movement and shrinking.

FWB and other European companies were some of the first to start using Laminates in their production rifle stocks. The bold contrasting patterns became an elite status symbol. So it became fashionable as well as functional.

So now, much of that is fashion related as well as functional.
Because how much can a pistol grip really flex or move? That has to deal with fit more than expansion of warping of the wood. Although admittedly, solid wood panels can warp sometimes. But personally, the contrasting laminations are more fashion, because they could have achieved the same laminations in one color of wood with the same function.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:49 PM
tigmaned
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
94% (13)
S42
very cool grips and your whole MKII set up is sweet!!! just need to get a 11 degree crown on your barrel!!
all this wood grip posting and i am hating my volquartsen rubber grips i havfe on my govt model.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:41 AM
Plinker
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

The Foothills of the Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.
TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:

I would think a good piece of walnut or maple would make a really good look'n grip.

I don't really care for the plywood,but when it's the only game in town,ya have to go with it.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:03 AM
jdowney

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yeah, I thought its mostly aesthetic, carrying over from the practicality on rifles. One nice thing about a laminated grip though, it really looks like one piece when done right - a lot harder to do with solid wood.

First set is going to be cherry I think, thats what I have a lot of right now. Used up most of the walnut scraps on the HK grips I've been making. I'll be buying more of that soon though. Also have some nice burl that would look kind of silly on an AR so I never used it up, could look sweet on a handgun though.

Kinda hard to checker those - at least for me - I'll probably stiple them or leave them smooth.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:45 PM
22_plinker
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Yeah, I thought its mostly aesthetic, carrying over from the practicality on rifles. One nice thing about a laminated grip though, it really looks like one piece when done right - a lot harder to do with solid wood.

First set is going to be cherry I think, thats what I have a lot of right now. Used up most of the walnut scraps on the HK grips I've been making. I'll be buying more of that soon though. Also have some nice burl that would look kind of silly on an AR so I never used it up, could look sweet on a handgun though.

Kinda hard to checker those - at least for me - I'll probably stiple them or leave them smooth.
Hope you plan to take pictures when you're done. That sounds like it would be a very nice set of grips.

22_Plinker
Old 10-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Markbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Well I for one hope you take pics of the entire process!

Oh... and thanks you guys for posting your pics back/back/back instead of on consecutive lines. I really like having to scroll sideways instead of up and down!