Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:50 AM
bayouboy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeber View Post
I am considering a R55 in 17M2. Is the accuracy of the 17 comparable to the 22? Thanks.
Hell yes! Shoot me your email and I'll send you some photos! I have the All Weather and she'll shoot right out of the box.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:10 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Leopold outsources its glass??????

I saw a TV Magazine show on guns and they toured the Leopold factory. The claim by the CEO was that the scopes were all American made. They showed a huge assembly plant, making hundreds of scopes a day on an assembly line that looked extremely efficient. But nowhere in that tour did they show any glass making facilities.

Do they outsource the glass????

I have many scopes from many manufactures, including Leopold and Burris and others. Except for the really inexpensive scopes like the old bottom of the line Tasco models that eventually came apart on centerfire guns, I have seen little difference optically between the various scopes. That same series of Tasco scopes has also suffered a broken reticule. Some of my Burris scopes are 20+ years old and the sealing O-rings have now started super gripping the tubes and resisting changes to the focus and distance adjustments.

In that 20 years the scope prices have nearly doubled and I have taken to buying just a good scope rather than a premium American scope. I have recently settled on the Bushnell Trophy series scopes as a good medium priced scope that works optically as good as any Leopold or Burris that I own in the bright daylight shooting environment of the ranges I shoot at.

I'd love to buy American (assuming the scopes were indeed made completely in America...doubtful for most) but if Leopold and Burris pricing are typical of those kinds of scopes then they are out of my league completely. I refuse to pay more for the scope than for the rifle! $200 is my limit for a higher power Varmint scope.

LDBennett
Old 03-12-2008, 11:08 PM
jcn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had a few Ruger .22s & they were nice guns; very dependable, & with good accuracy, about 3/4" at 50 yards (3 shots) at best with premium standard velocity target ammo.

Then my bride of 22 years bought me an R55. AMERICAN-MADE! Same distance & ammo type, but groups shrunk 30%. No malfunctions. Steel receiver just like a real gun. Gosh-awful expensive gun! Using a six power Leupold with target dot. Out go the Rugers!

My advice if you just want an accurate .22 with a walnut stock and polished steel everywhere you look? Buy a CZ for at LEAST a hundred bucks less.

If you don't want my advice, you can't go wrong with the R55.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:06 AM
22-Rimfire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm pleased with my Lynx and it is clearly made the way rifles used to be manufactured here in the USA.

As far as the comments above, I'd buy both the CZ and R-55. In fact I have a hankering to pick up the Classic with the walnut stock to boot. But it will have to wait a while as I just dumped all of my excess cash into a Remington 547 and was just getting over buying the Weatherby Mark XXII. It has been definitely a 22 month for me. Maybe next year for the Classic? I still have scopes to buy and mount on several rifles including the Remington and Weatherby.