Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-20-2003, 04:32 PM
restin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A bolt .22

Any opinions on the Browning A bolt .22? How does it compare to other brands rimfire bolts?
Old 03-20-2003, 10:04 PM
rickguns
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi,
I think that the A-Bolt is one of the finest .22 Bolt rifles ever made It's a real shame that Browning dropped them from their product line a number of years ago. It looks and handles like a larger caliber rifle except it is a .22 Seems that the prices are starting to climb pretty quick on these. They were orignally offered in a .22 LR with a Laminated stock ( hard to find) then in the regular .22 LR then the .22 Magnum and then the A-Bolt Gold Medallion which was a deluxe version. Most of these rifles had really pretty wood, they handle great and the ones that I have shot are accurate Extra magazines (5 &15 round) for them can still be found on E-bay for a reasonable price. I would reccomned this rifle highly!! But, I have always been partial to Brownings
Rick
Old 03-25-2003, 08:18 PM
jdmbearcat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
browning

hey guys. ive owned an abolt for about 2 years now. it was made in the late 80s and i paid 450 for it. it is by far my most accurate 22 and one of my fav rifles. i have 5 and 15 rd clips for it. if u can find one buy it. i find its a gr8 compliment to my centerfire abolts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2003, 08:20 PM
jackmt.retreat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dumbest thing I ever did...

was getting rid of my A-Bolt .22 that I hunted with. The stock had a few dings, and the trigger gaurd was rubbed up some, but it shot good handled good felt good just to carry it in the woods.I'll definitely buy another when I find one at a good price.I have a Gold Medallion .22, that I bought along with a Gold Medallion .30-06 from the same guy for $1000.00 for both!! Thinking about selling the .06, it's just to pretty to hunt with, but the Gold Medallion .22 won't go anywhere anytime soon.Only shot it once,very accurate.The only thing I didn't like about the standard grade that I sold, was the open sights. I personally like the model without sights alot better.They should really bring it out again, but that's coming from someone who is also very partial to Browning guns.I also wish they would have installed sling swivel studs at the factory.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:20 AM
Matt-man
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up I like mine

I got a used .22 A-Bolt a few months back in a trade. I put a Weaver K4 on it since my eyes aren't so good. I haven't taken it to the range to see how accurate it is, but it seems to be fine for casual plinking & squirrel hunting. The finish on this rifle is great, and I really like the tang safety. The trigger is good too (not REAL light, but very crisp).

My biggest problem with it is that my wife has claimed it for her own!
Old 03-26-2003, 06:51 AM
georgiaboy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I stole (err, bought) a Gold Medallion .22 mag earlier this year for $400!!! And now I want one just like it in LR!!

It was in the "used" section at my fav. gunstore, but had zero dents, dings, etc., gorgeous wood, and had just been traded in earlier that day. Showed it to the store owner to get him to price it for me and he said he thought it had never been shot!..... and he must've been right, when I cleaned the bore the first time, patches came out brown.

I mounted a B&L 3000 3-9x40 on it, the only scope I had "laying around", with Weaver bases (#47, I think?)..... I'm kinda "shopping" for a good 4-14 or so, with AO, 'cause I think the rifle deserves more power, and would shoot even better at 100 with more magnification. Nice, clean breaking trigger that I set at ~2.5 lbs.

Although I consider it to still be in the "breaking in" stage (clean it after every 10 shots or so), it seems to be shooting better and better. Really likes Win. Supreme 34gr. HPs, but so far I haven't sat down with several diff. types of ammo for serious accuracy testing. Popped a HUGE feral dog with it last week (Federal 50gr. HP, 'bout 60 yds.), put him right down!!

Bottom line?..... I LOVE IT!

Now to find it's "little brother" in LR......