Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:47 PM
NRBass

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looking for a light stock options

Hello everyone, I'm new to the 10/22 world and I am building my son a rifle for Christmas. He is 8 and we have started shooting alot. Mostly we shoot bench rest but I would like to get him into the tactical areas at our range. With that said, I am looking for a light stock that would be acceptable for both types of shooting. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:54 PM
Garugerfan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ATI Strikeforce. Lightweight, pistol grip, adjustable (length of pull) stock for the 10/22. Ruger used them on one of their TALO models, but they are available for sale at ATIís website. Hope this helps.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:08 PM
NRBass

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks so much, I looked the stock up on several sites and YouTube videos and it doesn't seem to be compatible with a bull barrel. I have a carbon fiber (15oz) one on the way. Do you, or anyone reading this have further information on this issue? Again, thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2019, 12:56 AM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Blackhawk Axiom. Adjustable and one of the lighter options. Won't break the bank either. I was going to get one for a 10-22 I was building for my twins (9 at the time), but ended up sawing an inch and a half off of a factory stock and hogging out the barrel channel to fit a .920 TacSol barrel. Ended up working well enough in the short term that I never did buy the Axiom. But that stock would fit the purpose.

A couple of Axiom's a friend I was shooting with was using a couple years back.

Old 11-14-2019, 06:33 AM
Garugerfan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What about a Magpul? I don't have one but I think they are available for a .920 barrel.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:01 AM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
WELCOME TO RFC! (better late than never!) I started mine on the CCR Factory stock https://www.ruger.com/products/1022Compact/models.html

Pro Patria

Cives Arma Ferant

Cuiusque Devotio est Vis Regimenti
Old 11-14-2019, 07:36 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Blackhawk Axiom - 18oz

Magpul Hunter - 2.45lbs w/2 spacers installed and about twice the cost.

Majority of the laminates and Hogues come in around 2.5lbs, but non adjustable of course.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:33 PM
NRBass

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks so much everyone! I am looking into these stocks.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:04 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The basic carbine stocks are plentiful and cheap, depending upon the density of the wood some are lighter than others. Get another, weigh them, use the lightest and whittle it down to fit him and enlarge the barrel channel (use an aggressive enough sandpaper to cut fast!). If 'tacticool' is what he wants paint it flat black.
The other stock will be ready when he grows out of the little one.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:52 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I used the factory Ruger laminate Compact stocks when doing builds for my nieces (pink) and nephews (purple)... but I picked up the stocks cheap from CWP when they were blowing them out a few years ago
Old 11-17-2019, 09:14 PM
Teachu2

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have two with Blackhawk Axiom stocks. Not just light, the length of pull is easily adjusted without tools, making it easy for smaller shooters. With Kidd ULW barrels and Leupold VX1 2-7x28 scopes, they were right at 5 lbs. Now have heavier scopes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ulw1.jpg (575.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 11-18-2019, 12:10 AM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
you just have to be aware that the Axiom's aren't legal in all 50 states, what with their evil pistol grips and collapsible butts.....and normal sporting style stocks like the Compacts and Carbines are
Old 11-18-2019, 08:46 AM
mpolk
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Promag Archangel. You usually have to sand the mag well to get the mags to drop free. It's tight.
10_22KD.JPG

Last edited by mpolk; 11-18-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:03 AM
FiremanBob
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The Axxiom is the lightest I've seen and the adjustability is great as he grows or different people use the rifle. Or, you can cut down an OEM carbine stock to get the right length of pull for him.

Age is less important than size and strength, but most kids that age need the 16" standard taper barrel from the Compact 10/22 in order to hold it up in the standing position. I hate seeing kids toppling over, or leaning way back as they try to balance a rifle whose CG is too far away.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:40 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
My 'super-light' is a low-buck conversion from the std carbine that almost levitates, though the mentioned compact barrel would be a good head start if you want/need the sights. If that is the case I would be looking at the Williams rear peep that lays low on the action in back, but you will still need a bit higher front. Imo the Tech-Sights will be too high for him. I think red/green dots will be high also? If you are using a scope keep it as light as possible and low also.
Back to the 'super-light', my std barrel was cut back to 16 1/4", profiled on a lathe to reduce dia. to about 3" from the action and a length of alum. fit to it to make it a lightweight .920ish bull. The whole deal is dropped into just the rear portion of a Ruger 10/22 take-down stock. I use a very light old Weaver D-4 or V-22 scope. Loaded and out the door it goes under 4# with little forward weight. For his size the rear of the buttstock could be cut off too and just a blank 'buttplate' glued in.
Keep in mind that there is not only a min. legal barrel length of 16" but with that an overall gun length of 26". DO NOT GO UNDER BY EVEN A FRACTION OF AN INCH.