Best barrels? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-17-2019, 03:22 AM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)

I have had good barrels of all types, my best RF barrels is a button rifled anschutz chromoly, i have many sub 1/8" at 50y with it. my best centerfire is a hammer forged chromoly rem 700 barrel that i have gotten 1/4" groups with at 100 and shoots around 1/2 MOA out to 800. that being said, SS is easier to machine and i think can give you more consistent results from barrel to barrel because of this. i would go with SS.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:09 AM
cznut

TPC Rating: 
100% (103)
Depends on whether you want to drop it in or have a gunsmith fit a barrel for you, in the first case I would say Kidd, Feddersen, or Shilen. If I were having a gunsmith install a barrel, Shilen ratchet or Bartlien
Old 11-17-2019, 10:12 AM
midwest swiss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hart made the top bench rest barrels in the 1950's, 60's & 70's
Several world records, in multiple shooting disciplines, have been set with Hart Rifle Barrels.
CUSTOM MADE. ONE AT A TIME.
Every barrel we make is individually
crafted, one at a time, for extreme accuracy.
We do not sell a "second-best."

https://www.hartbarrels.com/

(Quote)

Specifically looking for a 20" bull barrel. So the "spare no expense, gotta have the best barrel" purchase would be.....?

There ya go...one of a kind 10/22 with a Hart barrel.

Last edited by midwest swiss; 11-17-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:23 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have 5 Kidd 20" stainless bead blast barrels. They are $199 with free shipping on eBay. They all shoot very well and are hard to beat for the price. I also have a Douglas barrel Joe Chacon 10/22. Accuracy is even better.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:28 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Bought a new Shilen 18" blued bull barrel in the mid 1990s and it has turned in quite a few good groups over the years. Very satisfied with the barrel.

Around 2006 or so picked up a VQ muzzle weighted barrel and it has been an exceptional shooter. The very best groups shot between the Shilen and VQ are remarkably close.

I would like to try a KIDD but I have one of their Charger barrels and it has not really been that great of a shooter but in fairness I have only used inexpensive standard velocity thus far.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:58 PM
Horsefly
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Proceed w/ CAUTION regarding these.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmww View Post
If your thinking about high end and are willing to use a gunsmith then take a look at barrel blanks. You can get 19 5/18" Match grade Anschutz barrel with a 1:16" twist for $76.50 before shipping from Numrish Arms. You'll need a gunsmith to chamber, contour and configure it for the 1022 though.
I was about to go this route, but before I ordered one of these Anschutz blanks I called a well known smith who informed me that these blanks had problems. It appears that these blanks were heat treated wrong and are extremely hard. Too hard to taper, chamber, etc.

I was really disappointed, as I thought that with a good chamber they would make a good shooter!
Old 11-17-2019, 04:40 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_in_MO View Post
far as Kidd's 1/2" at 50 yards guarantee, that is so conservative that any aftermarket barrel should be that capable, or what are you buying it for? Even some stock Ruger barrels can do that. At 25 yards (the longest I can shoot at right now) my 10/22 Target is averaging in the .1s with SK Pistol Match Special; so call it low-mid .3s at 50 yards. It will even get into the .0s sometimes at 25 yards.
I agree that any aftermarket barrel should be capable of 1/2" @50 yards. But unfortunately they're not all capable and most aftermarket barrel makers will not offer an accuracy guarantee like Kidd does. The other thing is shooting @25 yards does not carry over to 50 yards. I've had barrels that will put 5 shots in the same hole @25 and then pattern like a shotgun @50. I don't think I've ever had a barrel shoot bad @25 yards. I can't say the same for 50 yards. 25 is just too close to get any idea of how accurate it actually is.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:54 PM
bullseye4845
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thumbs up Best barrels?

I agree with Nick, 25yds is not a good distance to check accuracy. I have shot .0XX groups at 25, and 9's at 50yds, with good ammo. Not good enough to compete with. Most of these questions are answered in the book of Rimfire Accuracy (not associated in anyway). Calfee recommends the SS barrels of quality mfg., and there are always a barrel coming in that will not measure up due to precision run out, or lands/grooves not up to par. A quality blank of a known winner of competitions, and slugged at proper place, pristine chamber work, great crowning, makes for "you get what you pay for", and is the cost of several drop in barrels of good shooting barrels, that satisfy most shooters not competing. The chamber work is not mentioned as much, and is very important in a killer barrel.
I don't see how Kidd warrants his match barrels for 1/2 inch grouping at 50, when he does not know how good the trigger pulling will be, how well the rifle is set up, and how good is the bedding? Just throwing in a new barrel does not always result in a 1/2 inch grouping---it is the balance of all components of the build to be in one accord to shoot well.
You will not see threaded barrels on the winner's circle in big events, and the tuner is attached per a pressure screw.. Like him or not, his rifle builds are in the winner's circle in a high %. You have to remember, these guys have rifles that shoot into the 0.1 or better at 50yds, and always with a tuner.
I almost forgot, "You gotta be a good reader of the wind!"
Old 11-17-2019, 08:00 PM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four52 shooter View Post
Bought a new Shilen 18" blued bull barrel in the mid 1990s and it has turned in quite a few good groups over the years. Very satisfied with the barrel.

Around 2006 or so picked up a VQ muzzle weighted barrel and it has been an exceptional shooter. The very best groups shot between the Shilen and VQ are remarkably close.

I would like to try a KIDD but I have one of their Charger barrels and it has not really been that great of a shooter but in fairness I have only used inexpensive standard velocity thus far.
Feed that KIDD Charger barrel of yours some SK Pistol Match .
Old 11-17-2019, 08:05 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick67 View Post
I agree.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:15 PM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIKE1022 View Post
I agree.
Lol, Brad sir!

My ss 6" beadblasted KIDD Charge barrel loves them .

You were the one who persuaded me to try them out and they are indeed as good as you claimed them to be ..
Old 11-17-2019, 08:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Lol, Brad sir!

My ss 6" beadblasted KIDD Charge barrel loves them .

You were the one who persuaded me to try them out and they are indeed as good as you claimed them to be ..
I ain't had a bad box yet.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:05 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
I will certainly try that- thank you for the recommendation!
Old 11-18-2019, 11:09 PM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four52 shooter View Post
I will certainly try that- thank you for the recommendation!

They are very consistent and nicely-made ammo.

Very good shooters in my KIDD and GM barrels.

5 shots at 25 with my Charger build---the scope on my no Ruger parts Charger build is just a 4x, so I can hardly see the tiny target:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-20-2019, 12:05 AM
Frank3

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Kidd seems pretty good. Here are some pictures of midgrade ammo at 50yards and wind up to 15 mph from my 7’o clock position

It does better with match ammo but this isn’t bad for me.