Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-30-2019, 06:03 AM
bilco40k

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Eley rounds not chambering in MTs12-2

Hi All,
I Have a MTs 12-2 and a couple of times when shooting it at my local range I have talked with fellow shooters about which ammo does my rifle like. At the moment Im using SK rifle match and I get good groupings. A couple of fellow shooters have said try Eley and given me some round to try, every type of Eley I have tried will not let me close the bolt fully. The only thing I can think it is, is the bullets shoulder/collar it longer andon eley compare to other brands as all other ammo cci remington,blazer,sk etc. chamber fine.

TIA

Bill
Old 11-15-2019, 11:25 PM
LeShaghal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
works in mine?

I have "MU12 No.E-848 1962"

Mine take Eley tenex and biathlon no problem
never heard of this issue before
Old 11-16-2019, 05:12 AM
tim slater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bill,

It's unusual for CCI to chamber smoothly but not Eley, at least in a target rifle. There are numerous reports of CCI being tight in a Match chamber. Now if this had occurred with a single batch of Eley, I would have said that you had a chance batch that's slightly larger somewhere, my guess would be the case. It's odd that several types don't work.

If you haven't already tried it, give the barrel a thorough clean with a bronze brush and 009 (or similar), and the breech too.

EDIT - Is this the same problem you reported in September 2017, when Eley cartridges would not chamber up to the rim under finger pressure, stopping about 2mm short? If so, that's normal in a Match rifle. Chambers are teamed deliberately short (and fairly tight too) so the parallel section of the bullet engages the rifling. This aligns the bullet so it cannot tip. It's normal that the bullet only chambers fully as you close the bolt.

Last edited by tim slater; 11-16-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2019, 11:35 AM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
IMO, Tim has the answer. Match chambers are cut tighter than run of the mill sporting chambers designed to easily chamber all cartridges.

When you place a cartridge in a match chamber, often the final seating is done by the bolt closing and the bullet seats into the lands; i.e., the lands engrave the bullet drive bands.

The design of the bullet will also effect seating. Some have the drive bands farther forward.

I have Soviet era rifles (CM-2 & Ural-2) as well as two newer CM-2 rifles. All have match chambers and bullets engage the rifling when the bolts are closed.