Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:11 PM
dave19113

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to dave19113
Volquartsen LLV-4 Upper 4.5"

I have the itch and some extra funds to buy a Volquartsen LLV-4 Upper 4.5" to build for steel challenge.

I plan I running a C More reddot

My question is more about VQ's bolt.... Is it worth the $$.

All my uppers in the past have always been factory Rugers with extractor and firing pin upgrades from VQ.

Ive read its really slick with its finish, was asking if its worth the cost VS.s using the money for other stuff?
Old 11-05-2019, 07:30 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
First - the bolt is in fact remarkable. Whatever gunk is on it just wipes off, don't have to spray anything on it even. Even on the bolt face. And the finish holds up as well. Over 10K through one and it still looks great.

As far as worth it - that is strictly up to you and whether or not you want to pay for the thing. I have 3 myself, and probably can't justify them either. (except for the $150 one I got on Ebay last year when VQ had some MKIV bolts listed) The factory bolt is going to work just fine. You are basically paying for a larger diamond ring when you already have one in the end. Its far from necessary, but its really nice to have. I love the look as well as the pinball racker on the end.

If I were building up a pistol, this would be towards the back end of the list, and if I spotted one on a sale during that time, then I'd grab it. As far as the models for these bolts, I've ran the VQ MKIII bolt in both an LLV-4 and MKIII Pac-Lite receiver, and currently have both a MKIII and a MKIV advertised VQ bolt in a pair of LLV-4's. The Pac-Lite I intend to sell, and it just has a standard MKIV factory bolt in it currently. Only issue you should run into with those bolts is running something non MKIII in a MKIII factory receiver with the LCI still intact, or maybe a MKI.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:57 PM
dave19113

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_80 View Post
First - the bolt is in fact remarkable. Whatever gunk is on it just wipes off, don't have to spray anything on it even. Even on the bolt face. And the finish holds up as well. Over 10K through one and it still looks great.

As far as worth it - that is strictly up to you and whether or not you want to pay for the thing. I have 3 myself, and probably can't justify them either. (except for the $150 one I got on Ebay last year when VQ had some MKIV bolts listed) The factory bolt is going to work just fine. You are basically paying for a larger diamond ring when you already have one in the end. Its far from necessary, but its really nice to have. I love the look as well as the pinball racker on the end.

If I were building up a pistol, this would be towards the back end of the list, and if I spotted one on a sale during that time, then I'd grab it. As far as the models for these bolts, I've ran the VQ MKIII bolt in both an LLV-4 and MKIII Pac-Lite receiver, and currently have both a MKIII and a MKIV advertised VQ bolt in a pair of LLV-4's. The Pac-Lite I intend to sell, and it just has a standard MKIV factory bolt in it currently. Only issue you should run into with those bolts is running something non MKIII in a MKIII factory receiver with the LCI still intact, or maybe a MKI.

Much thanks for the reply.

That was the answer I was looking for.

I don't mind spending the extra money but, like you said, on the back of the list of "to buy"stuff

Ill keep an eye out for deals on them

On a separate note, does the VQ uppers ever go on sale ( black Friday and such) or are they items that sort of sell themselves so sales aren't the norm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2019, 10:07 AM
Geo

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
check out wirthweinguns.com Lee gets in a lot of Volquartsen stuff that has "blems" I have purchased some of these items and it was very difficult to find any type of blem on them anywhere. Note: the Volq bolt is like a piece of jewelry - an almost friction free surface.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:38 AM
dave19113

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
check out wirthweinguns.com Lee gets in a lot of Volquartsen stuff that has "blems" I have purchased some of these items and it was very difficult to find any type of blem on them anywhere. Note: the Volq bolt is like a piece of jewelry - an almost friction free surface.

That is where I picked up my 6 7/8 slab side upper.

I check in from time to time to see what deals are there

Old 11-12-2019, 10:47 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I have two LLV uppers, and I run them both with Ruger bolts. Function is flawless and the accuracy of each pistol is superb.

Here's one on a Mk III 22/45 frame (kind of a hodge-podge of parts, but shoots really well):

The other is currently on a VQ aluminum frame with Volthane grips -- Mk III vintage. The pistol is all VQ except for the bolt. They are very pretty (the VQ bolts), but not necessary to the good functioning of the pistols.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:49 PM
27 Beck
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave19113 View Post
Much thanks for the reply.

That was the answer I was looking for.

I don't mind spending the extra money but, like you said, on the back of the list of "to buy"stuff

Ill keep an eye out for deals on them

On a separate note, does the VQ uppers ever go on sale ( black Friday and such) or are they items that sort of sell themselves so sales aren't the norm?
Brownell’s has a $$$ off today on what is spent. They have a decent price on the LLV upper and other Volquartsen parts.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:07 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The code would make it very competitive. They will charge $10 for transfer (they do this for whatever reason) so make sure to figure that in. Still, if you got the full on upper with comp and sights, thats still $40 off of it. Last one I bought from them I got $30 off (20 in reality), but at that time the price suddenly dropped to like $462 and I decided I'd better jump on it before it went back up.