Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-03-2019, 05:49 PM
bbush

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I agree.
Regarding the leather, not sure if it traps moisture, or the chemicals used in the tanning process.
The sharpest edges on any ( that Iíve found ) is when you separate the receiver halves. It can cut you real easily.
I knew youíd like shooting it. The vast majority of them shoot well. After several boxes, the action will slicken up too. If you can, put a pic or three up. We (I) would love to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2019, 06:44 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
I purchased a CL that had been fired and later a Article II that has not been fired, the CL gets shot once in a while the Article II I see no reason to shoot, value wise I doubt it makes a lot of difference.

I mounted a steel Lyman 66 on the CL...

The Article II is complete with sleeve/box/all paperwork and unfired

A lot fewer Article II's were made.

Last edited by gmd1950; 11-04-2019 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:10 AM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I would have kept it NIB, but I have several other to shoot.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:49 AM
cub308

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
An alternative to leather wrap is to pull the center out of a few feet of para cord and use only the outer casing to do your wrap. It's thinner and is less likely to hold moisture.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:44 PM
Mellow22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
gmd1950, Those are 2 nice guns. What is that peep sight on the CL and how do you like it?
As for the leather wrap I was thinking I would place a layer of packing tape between the leather and lever. The lever not being as it should will bother me to the point I will have to fix it. But I will have to do a little experimenting on some bits of steel to try to match the bluing color on the receiver before I take a file to the lever. I want to do it right, and have plenty of projects on my plate for now; the leather wrap will have to last a year or two.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:26 AM
284wahoo
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I still own a standard 39A, 1951 year model which I am very pleased with. I had a CL as well for a few years that just sat in the safe because I found it to be too small for my tastes. I decided to let it go to help fund another project. I still miss it though, even if I didnít shoot it, because itís such a nice rifle. I loved everything about how it looked and was made except that silly medallion on the rcvr. Wish they made versions like in the full size models.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:30 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow22 View Post
gmd1950, Those are 2 nice guns. What is that peep sight on the CL and how do you like it?
As for the leather wrap I was thinking I would place a layer of packing tape between the leather and lever. The lever not being as it should will bother me to the point I will have to fix it. But I will have to do a little experimenting on some bits of steel to try to match the bluing color on the receiver before I take a file to the lever. I want to do it right, and have plenty of projects on my plate for now; the leather wrap will have to last a year or two.
That is an older Lyman 66 sight, made of steel. The more recent ones are aluminum I believe, a Friend gave it to me when he found out I had the rifle. I like it very well.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:18 PM
SDPhoto

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Once upon a time, my ex-wife collected depression glass. It went up in value 10 to 20 % every year, far outpacing stocks, bonds, everything else. Now, the old ladies who religiously collected this stuff are dying off, and younger women have no money and ZERO interest in collecting anything. This could easily happen in the gun world too. Life is too short. Shoot that jewel....
Old 11-07-2019, 07:38 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
When you have several to shoot, why lower the collector value of a new one. It isnít like it is going to shoot differently.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:58 PM
bandit1250
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I thought about us not shooting my wife's 39 AWL or my 1897 Century Limited. Didn't take long for both of us to change our mind and shoot them just like any other Marlin 39 A we have. I ain't saving any of mine for someone else to have all the fun. Shoot them. That is what they were made for!
Old 11-13-2019, 01:02 AM
JGR_LV
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would shoot it.

As already pointed out, given that the guy who sold it couldn't say it was unfired, neither can you. I'd say treat it gently, but that would imply you'd ordinarily use it for a club or a canoe paddle. I've seen some rather beat up 39As, but never one that didn't work or could not be brought back to an honest, accurate and dependable rifle with a little care and elbow grease, and I don't think any three people have lived long enough to find out how much you have to shoot one to wear it out. I'd say shoot it, enjoy it, take care of it and pass it on to the next generation.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:40 PM
jazzsax8

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
what I do

Nice find and I would buy a dozen at that price! I have acquired a few deals like this over the decades and usually pass it on unless its exactly what I wanted and they are very difficult (never see them) to find. I would post a free ad on Armslist for TOP DOLLAR and be patient. Some things for me have taken up to a year to move. Now you pay no sales fees but you might have to ship it if someone needs it bad enough.

My standard is, if you can get top dollar maybe around $850-900 for it, would you turn around and buy another one for what you sold it for. If the answer is NO, take the profit and find the same used for way less. You might even want an older Mountie or 39a ballard minus the crossbolt safety over this one.