Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-22-2019, 10:15 AM
Nor Cal Mikie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Lets go back a year or so.

There was a man that, IIRC, made race car parts, maybe a machinist?
He was "re loading rim fire rounds" and using different 20 caliber center fire bullets?
He made special shell holders and dies to reform the rim fire case necks.
Pulled the bullets, reformed the cases and used the same powder over again.
Had a couple of rifle projects with different bore barrels and maybe different chamber reamers for his remade ammo and it looked to come out pretty good.
Maybe from the Indiana area?
Seems like right off someone mentioned,
"It'll never work, different size bullets, wrong bore size,etc. bla bla" rolleyes
BUT, it did and from what I remember, seemed to come out REAL GOOD.
Rattle that Grey Matter (put on those thinking caps ) and see if any of you can remember something about it.
Seems like I may have had his contact information at one time but never followed thru.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:14 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I believe he was looking for an alternative to the .22lr for a plinking round in case of another rimfire ammo shortage if I remember correctly. Don't know that he ever came up with anything viable other than a different caliber that already exists.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:04 PM
Nor Cal Mikie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What he was/is doing is pulling the bullets on 22 rim fire ammo, necking down the rim fire brass and seating 20 caliber centerfire bullets. Very interesting.

http://www.varminter.com/forums/topi...at-ammunition/

One of the Guys @ Saubier.com found it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2019, 12:36 PM
dufferDave
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Try again?

That link doesn't seem to work
Old 10-23-2019, 12:48 PM
Nor Cal Mikie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Go to http:www.varminter.com/forum/Fred Baldwin.
Just tried it and it comes up in a search on the www.
Not sure why the link didn't work.

For some reason, the link isn't working BUT, if you go to Varminter.com then do a search for Fred Baldwin, it comes up.

Nick:
Don't think he was looking to CYA in case rim fire ammo supply came up short. More like building a better round?
Sure was interesting and those 20 caliber center fire bullets seated in a rim fire case? Looked pretty cool from here.
Always thought a VLD bullet would perform better than a 22 rim fire slug.

And if you do a search here on RC, the article comes up. (Fred L Baldwin)

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 10-23-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:17 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
Don't think he was looking to CYA in case rim fire ammo supply came up short. More like building a better round?
Sure was interesting and those 20 caliber center fire bullets seated in a rim fire case? Looked pretty cool from here.
Always thought a VLD bullet would perform better than a 22 rim fire slug.
I may have been mistaking someone else's post.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:11 PM
midwest swiss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=499077

There I found it, interesting subject.
Would have been nice too have seen some of his test targets.

Last edited by midwest swiss; 10-23-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just out of interest, what ever happened with this project. Anyone know ?
Old 10-24-2019, 07:13 PM
Nor Cal Mikie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Still keep thinking there was an update in the last year or so. He had dies and shell holders available. Just can't find anything later that 2013.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:16 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
Still keep thinking there was an update in the last year or so. He had dies and shell holders available. Just can't find anything later that 2013.
Nor Cal Mikie:

Thanks Mike.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:23 PM
Nor Cal Mikie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thinking this might be our man?

Fred L Baldwin
7265 Mariner Way 308
INDIANAPOLIS, IN, 46214 - 1708, USA
Old 10-25-2019, 09:18 PM
Baby Automag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, he was 65 in 2013 so now should be 71 If he made it this far, between nature and that project one might have gotten him.
I would love to know what happen with this idea.

I'm not a reloader so I'll ask you all, why bother this when there is a 204Ruger already here? Is it you just wanted a "rimfire" because of stupid hunting law? or ?? I have only heard of the 204Ruger, not sure of it's specs, but would think you could do more with it than the using of a 22 case or am I missing something?

Are the components to "make" this rimfire easy to get and adjust/taylor your loads to rifle to make better ammo?

So what do you think about my questions? no offense taking, just trying to learn. Can't learn if you don't ask or read.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:33 AM
Nor Cal Mikie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"Can't learn if you don't ask or read"?? Boy isn't that the truth. What Fred Baldwin was/is doing is building rim fire ammo into something that wasn't made.
I always liked the look of a rim fire case with a little pointed bullet in the neck. Just the looks were cool. And my thinking is, the BC of the pointed bullet would be WAY BETTER than the rim fire slugs. There's smaller center fire rounds but very few that can get close to a rim fire round. Some folks are going as far as "downloading" center fire rounds for back yard varmint shooting. Less noise and less chance of shooting something that wasn't intended. If it was me, I'd be going with an air gun.

And, being in your 70s ISN'T a bad thing. We're suppose to get smarter as we get older? But, some folks were never smart from the start, and never will be. Just because there's snow on the roof, doesn't mean there's no fire in the furnace.

The .204 Ruger isn't a rim fire case. Center fire reloadable. Pretty wild at that. Tried it on one of my rear grip SPs.

Been lots of talk about reloading rim fire rounds. Extra work but it CAN be done.
And some folks will do it because THEY CAN.

I've been working on a project. Still not finished but fresh in my mind. Want a reloadable round equal to a rim fire. Rim fire round are cool BUT, they're throw away rounds unless you go thru the trouble of trying to reload them.
I wanted a reloadable round that when I pulled the trigger, I could see my hits thru the scope. No "well maybe I saw it", either I can see the hits or I can't.
Tried the 17 VHA. Got close but no Cigar. Just enough movement from the recoil that you loose the sight picture. I was working with a Savage rear grip SP.
17" barrel on a left hand Model 12 repeater action set up as a single shot. Anything out past 100 + yards and you could see your hits. Didn't like the results so I went back to that action on my right hand bench rest style thumb hole stock.
The 17 VHA turned out to be a PITA when it came to reloading and chambering so that round came to an end as far as I was concerned. And by the way, I'am right handed. I thought I would like to try shooting a left hand rig right handed. Ordered up the lefty Savage action. Picked up an amby stock, mounted everything up and headed to the range. I'am bench shooting off of a rest and bags. Liked the feel so I ordered up a right hand bench rest thumb hole stock, added a Whidden V block for the action to mount to. Right hand stays in the thumb hole for control while your free left hand feeds ammo and works the bolt. Just too natural.
Got involved with the 22 TCM. Loved the brass and the quality so I went a little further. Necked the 22 case down to 20, made up a dummy round, shipped it off to PT&G and had a reamer cut to those specs. Had custom full length and seater dies made by Whidden. So far have only popped a few rounds "out back" to see how they work. Don't like the way it chambers. You have to point the round "UP and INTO" the chamber before you start thinking about closing the bolt. Not the best thing for an enjoyable day at the range.
I did try something else with that short 20 caliber round. Out of curiosity, I dropped the round into my Remington XP 100 converted rifle chambered in .221 Fireball. The TCM case is the same as the Fireball, just shorter. Partially closed the bolt and the short round fit like it was MADE FOR IT! That round almost jumped into the chamber.
So now, I'am on the hunt for another Remington XP 100 Pistol in .221 Fireball OR, an action that I can rebarrel into my 20 TCM Wildcat. A 22" Shilen would do the trick. Won't be getting any Pac Nor barrels for a while.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 10-26-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:45 PM
Baby Automag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok, I knew the 204Ruger was a centerfire and that's the question, why bother 20 rimfire doing all that custom stuff that cost $$ when you have a 204Ruger that is already tested and ready to buy?

I also heard of and read some about the 22TCM, so you necked the case down to 20 from the 22. This sounds more reasonable because its' components are set up for reloading, brass is a centerfire case w/primer pockets and bullets are whatever available in your size. This project to me makes a lot more sense then trying to get "rimfire" case w/primer in them and then play around loading them "hot" and hoping you don't mess up the primer between getting them and loading them up.

I also looked up specs(won’t bore you with posting them) on these both and if you are doing a rifle, the 204Ruger seems very fast and is 20cal so why not use it instead of playing with the 22-20TCM UNLESS you are wanting a handgun/rifle combo thing. Didn’t know about the 22TCM-R, it’s a more compact OAL to fit Glocks smallish mags/handgrips. The TCM seem like a fat baby to the rimfire case but that makes it easier to play with then the primer in the case stuff. I also now realize how “big” the 204Ruger cartridge is compared to what both you guys are doing I know there is a big difference in play factor. Some like big things and some like small ones.

I see so many production wildcats(no longer wildcats) and normal production stuff it’s hard to believe there is anything more to tinker with unless you just like to say “hold my beer, watch this”. The rimfire seems cool to play with but with a lot of headaches for reloading and the case has limits where it seem like the centerfire side is much more friendly to play with and invent.

As for 70 and older wasn't meant in a bad way but just truthful, we all have expiration dates we just don't know the date. Since he hasn't posted up we can only guess. Didn't know if he figure how bad the idea was from "chamber pressure" and would explain why he quit or what. Would be nice to close the thread with an outcome.

BUT now we have you to tell us your progress on a viable idea that looks and sounds cool so you need to keep us(me) up to date please.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:02 PM
Nor Cal Mikie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Seems like most of the "factory ammo" available was once a wildcat? Somebody's hair brained idea that finally took off.

As far as a modified rim fire? Another wildcat that in my opinion, probably won't go anywhere but it can be made if you put the energy into it.
You build it into something YOU WANT. No 20 caliber (center fire) rim fire so why not build it?
And if the SHTF, you had a means to build/have ammo. I know of folks that use rim fire brass as jackets for center fire bullets. Talk about recycle.

The 22 TCM just looks better necked down to 20 and a VLD bullet stuck in the neck.

To me, the .204 is just another hopped up round. May even be a barrel burner?
Tried it in a SP and didn't care for the recoil.
If I want to experience recoil, I'll drag out my M1A and burn off 200 or so rounds.