Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:01 PM
loiblb
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

My brand new gun's barrel looks to be in good shape with no issues.
I have not fired it yet as I just bought it.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:22 PM
wbwanzer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I took my wife with me this morning and we put another 200 rounds through the TX22. No problems whatsoever. The barrel accuracy seems pretty good to me even though I have some 'chattering'. I shot my best group of the day very near the end of the 200 rounds. I haven't inspected the bore yet, but fouling can't be too much of a problem for me as I just shot it better than ever. I don't think I'm going to send mine in for a new barrel. This one seems to be working well for me and I'm not convinced that Taurus would return a better barrel.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:52 PM
loiblb
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Shot my new TX today. Had too many jams to count. Only had three types of ammo but none did better then the rest.
Still it shot as good a group as my MK III Hunter for some reason. Sorry I bought the TX

Last edited by loiblb; 05-07-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:33 AM
rellisonii

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loiblb View Post
Shot my new TX today. Had too many jams to count. Only had three types of ammo but none did better then the rest.
Still it shot as good a group as my MK III Hunter for some reason. Sorry I bought the TX
What brand / type of bullets did you use? I have shot American eagle 40gr lrn and federal 40gr lrn and only 1 FTF in 96 rounds.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:12 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loiblb View Post
How exactly were the rounds jamming? The loading of the mags is critical for the TX. If you pull the follower down and drop rounds in the mag they will not index correctly, and will cause a mis-feed.

I would clean and lube the gun, then try some CCI Standard 40 gr.

Check the barrel and chamber for leading as well.

Our TX will function with almost anything, and isn't picky about needing to be clean.

Give it another try with some CCI Standard. If it's still an issue, contact Taurus CS and send it in.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:23 AM
wbwanzer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've run 400 rounds now of CCI Mini-mag without a single problem.

Sorry to hear you're having issues. Maybe they can be fixed.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:16 PM
Varzil59
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Finally did a close inspection of my barrel after seeing all the posts about chattering, guess I got lucky as mine seems pretty smooth. I've run about 400 rounds total of MiniMags (round nose), Blazer, Federal and Aquila Super Extra thru it with only one FTF, and that was with a Federal. It has a much better trigger than my M&P 22 Compact, so I think I'll keep the TX.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:58 AM
copfish
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rws53 View Post
shot the new barrel today...leaded up after a couple of hundred rounds
My buddy has the same leading issue. It was so bad a range rod wouldn’t fit through the barrel. My TX22 has no problems. We sent his back to Taurus. Hopefully someone at Taurus will get on this before the bad rap kills this model...
Old 05-26-2019, 08:34 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbwanzer View Post
I've run 400 rounds now of CCI Mini-mag without a single problem.

Sorry to hear you're having issues. Maybe they can be fixed.
Have you tried CCI Standard Velocity?

The TX doesn't need HV ammo to function, so I would say it just increase wear.

CCI SV is usually more accurate and less expensive than MiniMags too.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:06 AM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Sorry for your pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rws53 View Post
shot the new barrel today...leaded up after a couple of hundred rounds

Seeing this has made me decide not to purchase this pistol. When I see that they sent another barrel with these bad chatter marks, this tells me they have a serious problem.

I think there are plenty of these pistols without this problem, but the kicker is
the remedy is non existent right now. I have had very bad customer service, with a pistol in 9 MM Isent in over 2 months ago for a botched first repair and I am still waiting.

All gun makers have problems, but how these problems are handled varies greatly.

An acceptable repair was not done.

Last edited by gr8guns; 05-30-2019 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:40 AM
rws53

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guns View Post
Seeing this has made me decide not to purchase this pistol. When I see that they sent another barrel with these bad chatter marks, this tells me they have a serious problem.

I think there are plenty of these pistols without this problem, but the kicker is
the remedy is non existent right now. I have had very bad customer service, with a pistol in 9 MM Isent in over 2 months ago for a botched first repair and I am still waiting.

All gun makers have problems, but how these problems are handled varies greatly.

An acceptable repair was not done.
turnaround time of first warranty repair attempt
4/15/2019 to 4/26/2019

sent it back in and they received it 5/8/2019 and was notified it could take 12 weeks...will let everyone know how it turns out this time
Old 06-05-2019, 01:23 PM
Imaposer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow. Glad I ran across the thread before purchase!

Academy put these on sale this past Sunday so I zipped down to my local store Sunday evening with bore light in hand. I inspected the bore of the one in the counter and it appeared fine so I decided to take it home. Then, they went and got another one out of the back to sell me... So, I checked it over too. Seemed just fine as well. Granted, neither bore was a finely honed mirror polished target grade sort of thing, but neither were rough enough to be of concern to me. And NOTHING like the photos in this thread. So far I've only put a little over 400 rounds through the gun. All suppressed so the gun gets a bit grungy. Cleaned the gunk out of the action once after a bit more than 300 rounds, but haven't touched the bore yet. Checked it a couple of times though, and see no signs of fouling or leading at all.

This isn't a bullseye pistol but for my intended purpose the gun is as accurate as I can shoot it for my style of shooting and using inexpensive ammo.

Trigger is excellent! Out of the box average of five pulls with my Wheeler digital gauge measured 3 lbs 8.9 oz. And so far the gun runs like a top!

I never thought I'd even buy a Taurus, let alone that it would quickly rise to being one of my favorite .22 pistols to shoot!

I'm curious if there's a SN range in which this issue seems to be more common...

Is it just luck of the draw? Or was this an early production issue that Taurus has gotten a handle on? I've only looked at two so that's a small sample even if they both did appear to be fine...

Either way, I passed this info on to a friend that wants one now, and advised that he only purchase one after inspecting the bore condition. With Taurus' history of questionable QC, I think that's prudent.

Thanks for posting.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:09 PM
rws53

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting call from Taurus today...they have a barrel manufacturer that will have new "in spec" barrels available to replace the defective barrels found on the TX22 in about 6 to 8 weeks. They offered me a choice to let them hold onto my gun till the new barrels are available and then ship it out or they would install another of their in stock barrels, ship the gun back to me now and when the newly manufactured "in spec" barrels become available they'd ship it to me. I'm taking the second option and glad they are remedying the problem.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:25 PM
wbwanzer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad to hear it. Hopefully you get a good one this time.

I'm going to stick with what I've got. I really enjoy shooting the TX22. The mild chattering doesn't seem to be a problem.

I've ordered a Grand Power K22S. They seem to be well respected. But I've heard that Eagle imports is no longer bring them in due to low sales. I'll see how it runs next week. I'm really getting into .22s now.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:29 PM
rws53

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbwanzer View Post
Glad to hear it. Hopefully you get a good one this time.

I'm going to stick with what I've got. I really enjoy shooting the TX22. The mild chattering doesn't seem to be a problem.

I've ordered a Grand Power K22S. They seem to be well respected. But I've heard that Eagle imports is no longer bring them in due to low sales. I'll see how it runs next week. I'm really getting into .22s now.

I've got a few .22's...the TX is the only one I have had any barrel issues with.

continued

Last edited by rws53; 06-20-2019 at 08:31 PM.