Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Target sights ?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  rugerguy211 
#1 ·
My SR22 is a pleasure to shoot but the dot sights are a little too general direction for me. What I mean is, I think I can place my shots better than the sights allow me to. At about 50 feet, i shoot about a 4" circle. Mainly I think because the dots aren't very precise. I see some high vis sights available. I think they would do the same thing. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to "tighten up" my sight picture ?
On my S&W Bodyguard, I took a file to the front sight to narrow it ,painted it with flouresent orange paint and cut an outline around the rear sight and highlighted that with white to mimmick my Smith 686 sights. That helped tremendously.
Does anyone know of some aftermarket target sights for my SR22 ?

#2 ·
I removed the rear sight blade on mine and reinstalled it with the white dots facing the muzzle. I don't much like three dot sights. They are very distracting when trying to get a good sight picture. With only the one dot, I find that I can find the front sight faster and I seem to shoot better. You can always paint the front sight black for a more traditional sight picture.

BTW: I then replaced the front sight with a High Vis fiber optic front sight. They come with two lite pipes (green and red) and a plain white dot pipe. I normally use red, but sometimes I use the white if I'm on a range with sub-optimal lighting.

#4 ·
OK, now what ?

I sat at my bench finally ready to flip the rear sight blade like suggested. And , uh, well, how do I do that ? I see the elevation adjust screw, the windage adjust screw and the blade I want to flip. But it doesn't look like either of those screw will release the blade. Before I go willy-nilly turning screws , I thought I might ask. Thanks, Mark

#5 ·
Throw away those darn dot sights !

I turned the back sight blade around like suggested on here and painted the front sight with fluorescent orange paint. I had some spray paint ,sprayed a puddle of it on some cardboard and used a whittled down ice cream stick to apply it.
What a difference ! The front blade is visible all over allowing me to see the edges for windage and see the very top of the sight . All this visibility allows me to place the front blade squarely in the center and precisely across the top of the rear sight. those big ol dots just let me get close.
While the dot sights are probably great for getting off a quick shot and work well for a defense gun, these modified sights are more like target sights letting me shoot better.
I Know dot sights are the rage now but the makers seem to have forgotten us paper punchers and can rattlers.
You all should try it. It's easy enough to go back if you want.

#8 ·
I'm not convinced that this little gun warrents "target sights".
I'm not saying to take the gun to a bullseye competition but, when I can shoot better than the sights let me see then it's time for an adjustment. I want to glean all I can from any gun I shoot. I don't want to say" ahh it' ok it's just a gun to plink with." I think as popular as this gun is I'm a little surprised some manufacturers don't make some better sights for it. I do want to hit what I know I can hit.

#7 ·
My SR22 is a pleasure to shoot but the dot sights are a little too general direction for me. What I mean is, I think I can place my shots better than the sights allow me to. At about 50 feet, i shoot about a 4" circle. Mainly usly.
Does anyone know of some aftermarket target sights for my SR22 ?
It sounds like you must have a 4 or 5 MOA red dot. If you have the chance, put a 2 MOA red/green dot on your pistol and try it.

The 2 MOA dot just covers a 1 inch bull at 25 yards. I use mine squirrel hunting and have made head shots out to 25 yd.s or so. I need a rest to do this. Wish I could off hand, but to old and shakey to do that anymore.

VH :eek:man:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.