Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:00 AM
SDBigDog1955

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Range Bags

I found myself looking or unloading everything to find the item I was looking for in my range bag so I built some divider boxes for a few if the smaller items and it cleaned up the bag. Built box for the stapler, ammo, wind meter- eye glasses - 22 snake, CZ magazines and it cleaned up the bag. Ready to go

Last edited by SDBigDog1955; 11-02-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:09 AM
coyote-slayer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice you would laugh at my range bag. I wanted to get one but my 4 year old daughter insisted that I use her pink duffle that had flowers on it... so I did she had shown a strong interest in my reloading and building so i wanted to humor her to try and nurture that.. here she is helping me resize some 9mm cases
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBigDog1955 View Post
I found myself looking or unloading everything to find the item I was looking for in my range bag so I built some divider boxes for a few if the smaller items and it cleaned up the bag. Built box for the stapler, ammo, wind meter- eye glasses - 22 snake, CZ magazines and it cleaned up the bag. Ready to go

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2018, 09:34 AM
Taterchip

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nice set up on the range bag. I use a large plastic tote. That everything is loosely organized in, two different protektor rear bags, ammo, target, ear plugs. Torque screwdriver. Etc
I like the bag though, very compact
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2018, 10:31 AM
SDBigDog1955

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Taterchip It's a ordeal when I go to the forest to shoot, I have in the pickup the bench rest that has the legs, tie down stakes, drop cloth for casings, legs for the target stand and cardboard and the target clamps tied down on the back side of bench and then in a toke box I have the items I use to set up the bench and target along with the front rest and bags and chair. Then I have to load the chronograph, Ipad, spotting scope, try pods and rifles into the back seat of the truck. I do keep everything in one area so after a outing I replace targets in the truck so I don't forget them, charge ipod and chronograph and take my range bag to my work room and set up new ammo for the next outing. I try to set up everything the day before so I can worry all night that I haven't for something

My wife thinks I'm loosing it

got to do something with those retirement hours

Last edited by SDBigDog1955; 11-02-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:40 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Cargo trailer!
Keep everything in it except for the gun(s) and ammo of the day.
Hook up and go.
I fondly remember the days of just grabbing a gun, sticking my ammo in my pocket and going shooting.........
Old 10-11-2018, 12:31 PM
SDBigDog1955

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
It takes me a good half and hour to get set up and tare down but it is worth having a good bench set solid on the ground and target stand as well. some things take time

Next item will be Keeney flags and Win-De-Cators, now I pickup when the wind is over 5mph.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:34 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Good Lord. I admire your economy. My range bag is a Subaru Outback.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:50 PM
Taterchip

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm lucky, I throw everything into the back of a gator. Flip the bench upside down with legs on . I can leave the house and be shooting in 10-15 minutes. I have got all set up and figured out I left the bolt for the rifle back at the house. I still only try to take one rifle out at a time. If I take more than one that means I have more than one to clean when I get home
Old 10-11-2018, 06:22 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
24" tool bag, commonly available from your local hard-wear dealer.

Plenty of space and plenty of pockets for the small bits and pieces.

Don't forget a light hand trolley, 20 bucks, it beats having to lug heavy gear long distances. O to be 21 again, or even 51............

Giz
Old 10-11-2018, 08:45 PM
BadaBing11
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote-slayer View Post
Nice you would laugh at my range bag. I wanted to get one but my 4 year old daughter insisted that I use her pink duffle that had flowers on it... so I did she had shown a strong interest in my reloading and building so i wanted to humor her to try and nurture that.. here she is helping me resize some 9mm cases

You're a lucky man. I'd be walking with a strut if my little girl gifted me a pink range bag!
Old 10-11-2018, 08:52 PM
Taterchip

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I kinda thought the same thing. Made me smile at the selfless act of that youngster.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:24 PM
coyote-slayer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadaBing11 View Post
You're a lucky man. I'd be walking with a strut if my little girl gifted me a pink range bag!
Oh I do I'm chomping at the bit for her to be old enough that I can have confidence that she can execute the safety that I'm trying to instill in her now. I fantasize about the day that shes showing up all the guys at the range lol. But for now I'm just teaching her the basics that don't involve anything that could potentially get her or someone else hurt. I've already bought a pellet gun for her and a .22 for her to graduate to... best of all I have a liberal sister that it pisses of to no end that I'm teaching my little girls about firearms lol

Old 10-11-2018, 09:50 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The Range Bag & What's In It

Probably more detail than you requested:

I use a Boyt Sporting Clays bag as my "Range Bag" in which I carry things I might need at the range. I have had this bag for a good 20+ years and doubt I will replace it. In this bag I carry a stapler, staples, white & black pasters, & a needle nose pliers in an end zippered pocket, the other end has a pair of Nikon binoculars in case I don't have one of my spotting scopes along or I'm setup for a 25 yard pistol range. Under the front flap I carry extra batteries, pens, and a bore light. In the main compartment are tools for "minor surgery" gun repair or adjustments, a range finder, a bore/scope alignment tool, shot timer, and a multi-section cleaning rod (in case of a stuck bullet or a stubborn brass case needs assistance). Those items make up the bottom layer of the bag. There are small corner compartments which contain items like a small can of G96, another has a flashlight & chamber flags, another has vision "aids" and extra ear plugs and the last one has a torque wrench. Last in ( thus first out ) are a hand towel, pair of gloves ( for when its cold ), eye & ear protection. No firearms or ammo in this one.

Boyt has actual "Range Bags" which I use for carrying pistol cases. They are slightly larger than the Sporting Clays bag. Three large pistol cases nicely fit in the main compartment with a fourth padded case in a side flap. End pockets are used for extra magazines, holsters, magazine holders, & caliber specific cleaning items. I have two for 22 LR, one for military pistols, and one for 1911's. In that way I have everything (except for ammo) I need for a given category in one bag. I tend to shoot multiple pistols (by category - 22 Plinker, 22 Target, Military, 1911) during a range session.

I have a large wooden box that stored a very large microscope at my wife's work. I found out they were going to throw it away so it ended up coming home with me. I put some different handles on it and it works great for storing my larger front rest & rear bags, spotting scopes, a portable scope stands, chronograph, and a small tripod.

Ammo is brought along in separate, labeled, caliber-specific containers, targets & target stands, cardboard backing & maybe a portable shooting table based the activity. When I go to my outdoor range which is 35 miles away, the back of the truck is usually fairly full along with the back seat. I usually spend at least 4 hours shooting when I go to this range so I bring several rifles and/or pistols.

- - - - - - -

For the local indoor range it's an entirely different setup - I have a bit larger, open bag that allows me to carry a Caldwell Rock Jr front rest, a rear bag, some adjustable clamps so I can do some limited bench shooting @ 25 & 50 yards. They provide 3/4" plywood bench tops. I have another set of eye & ear protection and a slot for some small targets that I can attach to larger targets we are required to use. A leatherman is the entire tool kit, add in a flashlight, hand towel and we are good to go. Again, no firearms or ammo - they come along in additional containers. If I am not doing any bench work with my AR's or rimfires I don't even bring that range bag along. An NRA bag with a 2-3 pistols & associated ammo is enough to keep me entertained for a couple hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boyt-02.jpg (19.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg boyt-01.jpg (21.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by rjferber; 10-11-2018 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Missing an attachment
Old 10-12-2018, 09:00 AM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use tool bags for most stuff. I have a dedicated tool box, $6 at Walmart, that contains about everything I need in the way of tools and also earplugs, stapler, and extra staples that goes on every outing. A full size range bag is filled with earmuffs, safety glasses. and a note book and pencils and goes along when shooting with company. My rest is big, heavy, and with a hand hold and travels on it's own. The rear bag along with wooden shims goes in another toolbag. I have the rest set up where it can also be used for pistol shooting and the items to do that are in another tool bag. I have various bags containing different ammo. Each bag has a luggage tag on it labeled with what it contains. I just grab the bags I'm going to use for the trip and leave the others sitting. My spotting scope is in it's factory hard case. Pistols travel in hard cases, rifles in individual soft cases. My targets are in an inexpensive artist's portfolio.

I too kind of miss the days when I just grabbed a rifle and ammo or strapped on a gunbelt with a pistol and ammo and went hunting.