Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:41 PM
mikem

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Takedown Lite - Unwanted stepchild?

Hey folks,

The Takedown Lite came out at least two years ago.

There's very little info out there from owners of this rifle.

I thought for sure there'd some first hand owner info on the Internet, especially here, but there isn't much at all. I wonder why that is?

Anyway, has anyone here drilled and tapped one to add iron sights to theirs? If so, what kind and do they work okay?

If no sights added, what kind of scope or laser are you using with it?

How is the accuracy?

Major likes?

Major dislikes?

Is it worth the $$$?

Thanks

Last edited by mikem; 09-21-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:59 PM
mikem

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Hmmmmm. I'm starting to think maybe only about five people bought these rifles.

And they ain't talking.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:11 PM
mikem

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Seven hours and 78 views later and I'm the only one who's posted to this thread.

And I'm the guy who started it. .

I've never started a thread here and had it go seven hours without some kind of reply from someone..

I'm starting to believe this rifle is so bad no one wants to admit to owning one.

Is that why no one is responding? Does this rifle suck that bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2018, 11:52 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got the same non response

On the new Target Lite. Actually when I posted pictures there was some response . They called it fugly.

The ultra light barrels seem to be the barrier. Or the word new.

Anyways my Target Lite is back at the factory , as it shot low and I mean way low . 6 inches low at 50 yards with the scope at the stops.

Needless to say I am not too impressed with Rugers version of the tensioned barrel.

My take on your question, is yes they are pretty. But also pretty expensive.

It is a take down, and it will never be a bench gun , so why bother. When a regular takedown is 1/2 the price and just as much fun. And your still going to buy a better trigger, and maybe a better stock,

I have a stainless takedown in a plastic stock with a Bx Trigger and a trs 25 red dot and I swapped the iron sights for fire sights. And bunch of bx 25 magazines. It all fits into the takedown bag. And sits in my car waiting to go to . Itís a gas to shoot, share with friends and burn up cheap ammo. It shoots minute of pop can and is a good squirrel gun. But itís no bench gun. Iím happy with what I have , but spending twice as much , so it would be prettier doesnít appeal to me.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:21 AM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
You might try a Ruger specific forum. There are a few on the net. U Tube as well.
That said, while I never shot the lite, we had one for sale at our shop for 6 mos or so so I got to handle it regularly. It took a while to sell so the shop owner did not replace it. Here are my thoughts based on that experience and my ownership of several 10/22's including a standard TD model:

- Price. They are allot more money for unknown step ( up or down?) in performance.
- Cosmetically, the stock was nice but I thought the barrel ugly and wondered about finish durability. (We had a green one and the finish looked cheesy IMHO)
-Weight: They are within 2 oz of a regular tapered (threaded) barrel model.
-Accuracy: From what little I've seen on the net, the Lite barrel does not shoot any better than the tapered steel barrels. In my own experience the TD is not a target gun ( nor are any stock 10/22's for that matter)but is accurate enough for plinking and hunting within 75 yds or so if you do your part. If I wanted more accuracy out of my take down, I'd likely look to an aftermarket barrel ( or most likely a different rifle as I'm not a big fan of putting $300 in parts into a $300 rifle to get it to shoot like a $400 rifle).
FWIW, when I want accuracy, I go past even my tricked out 10/22's and reach for a CZ bolt gun.

Last edited by Tacoma; 09-22-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:10 AM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought the standard takedown model and here’s my fixes
1. Accuracy sucked, bought the complete VQ front end
2 replaced stock-Magpul
3 replaced bolt-VQ completion bolt
4 replaced trigger- KIDD 2 stage
5 *cotchbrite the inside of receiver
I’ve never had to do so much after market tinkering to get a gun to shoot
Will never buy another
Old 09-22-2018, 11:30 AM
coloradokid
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Takedown with fluted bull

Have had mine couple of years now, has been a great .22. My accuracy is not bench quality, but prairie dogs at 100 yards is no problem. Even though i considered the lite version the cost difference was too much, for so little weight difference. Slicking up inside of reciver, modified the bolt release and kidd drop in trigger job was pretty much all i did. By keeping the takedown tension ring tight and rack bolt / dryfire 3-5 times after assembly, the first round fliers have disappeared. When not being used it resides in my Copper Basin backpack. The grab and go aspect of this combo was to great to pass up. Hope this helps.