Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:21 PM
Jasper_Wylde

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up It's out of "jail" and home - My first 10-22

Hello, my name's Jasper and not only is this my first 10-22, it's also my first post (I've been lurking and learning for the past month).

Today, I got my 10-22 Takedown out of "jail". That's what we here in California refer to the 10 day wait you have to go through once you purchase a firearm (even if it's just a stripped receiver). I'm getting ready to clean the barrel of it's shipping gunk and clean up the inside of the receiver. Can't wait to take it out tomorrow.

I'm interested in firing CCI Quiets and have been looking at the available options that are out there. I have a Volquartsen Firefly on the way and it should be interesting to see how it works out. I was thinking of sending the gun into Ackly's as I'd seen a video where he demonstrates his "quiet" receiver. However, I haven't come across much information on what modifications Ackly's does to the 10-22 to get it to reliably cycle CCI Quiets nor did I find any in depth reviews. So I went with the Volquartsen route.

I've only shot a 10-22 once and that was almost 10 years ago. A friend brought one along when we went out to the woods to do some shooting. It was just plain fun and I've never forgotten how much I enjoyed plinking around with it. Well, a week before the 4th of July my LGS sent out an email and they were offering the standard 10-22 on sale for $200. I figured "why not" and went down to get one. Except I didn't. I saw the Takedown version and that was that!

Anyhow, I have to say that I'm actually more excited to shoot the little Ruger than my AR. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy ARs... but the 10-22 kind of reminds me of riding around on a small motorcycle like an old RZ350. Fun and light vs getting on a heavy 750cc sport bike that you have to really work hard to have fun with. Maybe a bad analogy but it fits what I'm thinking right now. And don't get me started on the modifications - I see a lot of tinkering in the coming fall and winter. Good times!

Last edited by Jasper_Wylde; 08-24-2018 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:39 PM
WPWarhawk
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to WPWarhawk
22plinkster has a 10/22 equipped with a firefly bolt. Hes got a video about it.

Good luck
Old 08-24-2018, 11:46 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Welcome to the addiction!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2018, 11:50 PM
supersharp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think the Ruger 10/22 is definitely one of the most fun rifles to shoot you cannot go wrong .As for modifications you can literally change almost every part .Take your time and learn from different threads on this forum oh and welcome to the Forum
Old 08-25-2018, 12:50 AM
Jeepergeo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Everyone should have a 10-22 or two.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:06 AM
supersharp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
Everyone should have a 10-22 or two.
Or 10
Old 08-25-2018, 11:05 AM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Congrats, I own 2 and am building a third 10/22 from the ground up (Brownells stripped receiver)

I have to admit, however, my AR22 (CMMG upper with dedicated lower) is my FAVORITE .22 to shoot atm. So much so I built another one just like it (no good reason) and both have regular mag release buttons cause a Rimfire can't be an AW in our great state of CA, so all evil features are GTG.

If you truly enjoy the AR platform, and I really do, then I would strongly encourage you to build a dedicated 22 Cal AR

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516446935.html

My 10/22 TD

My dedicated AR22

Last edited by octanejunkie; 08-25-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:21 PM
ShakeyHand

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the Volquartsen Firefly bolt and shoot CCI Quiets with it some of the time. I think you made an excellent decision if you want to shoot quiets. I agree with WPWarhawk; you should watch 22Plinkster's video on the firefly bolt.

I have shot about 500 rounds out of my 10/22 equipped with the bolt without a hiccup. It is easy to swap out with the normal bolt. It comes with the Volquartsen guide rod and spring. I don't know if the spring is lighter but I suspect it is so I make sure to keep it separate from the normal spring and use it every time I use the Firefly.

The Firefly bolt is made out of aluminum alloy with a steel or tungsten insert in the back of the bolt. It is tuned perfectly for the quiet (around 700 fps) ammo of any brand. Volquartsen does caution everyone not to use the bolt with high velocity ammunition. A little of the anodization has worn off of the part of the bolt that rides on the rail below the ejection port. It might accelerate the wear to shoot high velocity with it. It is so easy to swap in and out that there is no reason to shoot high velocity through it.

Congratulations! You will love it!
Old 09-21-2018, 08:49 PM
Ferox34
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
just a question

Don't CCI Quiets have lead bullets? And isn't lead ammo prohibited in Cali??

Just asking, based on recent posts/news about the state of shooting in the Golden State.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:54 PM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox34 View Post
Don't CCI Quiets have lead bullets? And isn't lead ammo prohibited in Cali??

Just asking, based on recent posts/news about the state of shooting in the Golden State.
In condor zones, for hunting, yes

On ranges, no

All commercial 22 ammo has lead, afaik

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk