Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:28 AM
tonyg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
front sight mod for stainless bearcat

the recent thread with the great pics of the modified bearcat with adj. sights got me to thinking. the sight picture on a stock bearcat is pretty poor....at least for my old eyes......and i was wondering if a simpler and cheaper modification to improve the sight picture (assuming the particular gun shoots to point-of-aim) would be to have a gunsmith install a fiber optic front sight? have any of you seen this or had this done? on my stainless bearcat, it is really tough to get a decent sight picture. just wondering what your thoughts weere on this. thanks......tonyg
Old 05-05-2008, 03:07 AM
sixgunsamori
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to sixgunsamori
Replacing the front sight should be pretty easy for any gunsmith.. I don't know how tough it would be to find a front sight of proper height, but I think anything that helps you hit is a good thing. You could have it dovetailed, or have a new base and blade soldered on. You could even get a base that allows you to swap blades out. I say go for it.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:51 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
the recent thread with the great pics of the modified bearcat with adj. sights got me to thinking. the sight picture on a stock bearcat is pretty poor....at least for my old eyes......and i was wondering if a simpler and cheaper modification to improve the sight picture (assuming the particular gun shoots to point-of-aim) would be to have a gunsmith install a fiber optic front sight? have any of you seen this or had this done? on my stainless bearcat, it is really tough to get a decent sight picture. just wondering what your thoughts weere on this. thanks......tonyg
i bought my first BC4 in 1967 it was aluminum frame my x wife got it over the years
I have owned several Bearcats but always wanted an adjustable sighted one.
I yearned for a Clements Bearcat http://www.clementscustomguns.com/bearcat.html with prewar S&W sights but the Price of the gun
+ the $ 550.00 that he wants is kinda steep for this old foggie. when Lipsey brought out the Adjustable sighted BC4 I got real excited and acquired one .
Trouble with the front sight is that it is indeed difficult to see as well as being regulated for 25 yards. Heck I can barely see the target at that range.
At closer range I run out of adjustment on the rear sight. It is odd that on the standard Bearcat I have no problem regulating POA to POI . What's the solution?
Your idea of a fiber optic FS is a good one. My solution is getting a replacement sight from Ruger and filing it down a bit as well as thinning the sides so i can see more light between the rear sight window. I'm giving that a shot.
Another temporary solution is to find a sight one likes and just glue it on with
Loctite black max adhesive (#380) designed to glue shotgun ribs on. I get mine from Brownells. avoids drill and tap and one can try different front sights.
I'll keep at it.

SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2018, 08:07 PM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Normally, I stay out of 10 year old resurrected threads, but the Bearcat forum needs some activity.

I sure wouldn't mind a fiber optic for my stainless Shopkeeper. I know that might be sacrilege to some, but I want this thing to be a shooter not just a looker.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:07 PM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHERN S/PAW View Post
Another temporary solution is to find a sight one likes and just glue it on with
Loctite black max adhesive (#380) designed to glue shotgun ribs on. I get mine from Brownells. avoids drill and tap and one can try different front sights.
I'll keep at it.

SS

I've never heard of that adhesive before. How do you remove the sight if you change your mind?
Old 09-22-2018, 01:41 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm too much of a Luddite to want different sights on my two stainless Bearcats. I have to have the traditional look. All I've done is to be sure the edge of the blade is dull. A couple of seconds with medium sandpaper or scotchbrite does that.

I'm not wild about the fiber sight on my .22 SP101. Too big to get an exact sight picture, a thinner standard blade would suit me better.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:41 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicharrones View Post
I've never heard of that adhesive before. How do you remove the sight if you change your mind?
A bit of heat and it comes off no mess no fuss.

i have no problem with standard fixed sights on Bearcats always seemed to shoot at POA regardless of the Model Bear-cat or shop keeper these new ones have a slightly thinner front than the older ones
The older ones front sight was a tad thicker and the front face had serrations and to my eyes were easier to shoot well.

SS

Last edited by SOUTHERN S/PAW; 09-22-2018 at 09:26 PM. Reason: correcting a sentence mistake.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:46 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Normally, I stay out of 10 year old resurrected threads, but the Bearcat forum needs some activity.

I sure wouldn't mind a fiber optic for my stainless Shopkeeper. I know that might be sacrilege to some, but I want this thing to be a shooter not just a looker.
Get a gunsmith to either replace the front with a blue front sight or just paint it then you will be able to see the sight better. A fiber optic is an idea but it just would not be very aesthetic looking, shotgun light pipes might do the trick. they are low profile. and glue on.

SS
Old 09-22-2018, 04:55 PM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Currently, I have the back of my Shopkeeper's front sight painted bright orange. It only helps if light reaches the back of the sight.

Plus, my Shopkeeper shoots very low. I can Kentucky windage it, but I'm used to guns that I don't have to do that to, including other fixed sight guns.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:57 PM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
A bit of heat and it comes off no mess no fuss.

Good to know. I'm not going to glue a sight on my Bearcat, but options for other possible uses might come in handy someday.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:26 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Currently, I have the back of my Shopkeeper's front sight painted bright orange. It only helps if light reaches the back of the sight.

Plus, my Shopkeeper shoots very low. I can Kentucky windage it, but I'm used to guns that I don't have to do that to, including other fixed sight guns.
What distance are you shooting this shop keeper?
Old 09-22-2018, 09:21 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
Like I got old eyes as a die hard tinkerer I decided to attack this little problem.
I found two solutions, one kinda expensive for me ( fixed income etc), but it might work for others.

1) Fermin Garza make a dandy little front sight for the Adjustable sighted Bear cat.
His site is still under construction but you may see the sight here on Boge Quinn's
Video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6_EAHy_x24.
I on the other hand have gone another route I took a Ruger MK III front sight of a 4 inch pistol and screwed it on to the Bearcat, it's a bit long for the revolver about 1/8 inch sticks out from the front of the barrel. I'll cut this off as soon as I order a replacement for the MK III. Monday!
I took it out to my 45 foot range and shot it. this front sight is a bit thinner than the one Ruger put on the AS Bear-cat 4, I can see light on both sides on the sight.
the MK III sight measures 0.408 the BC4 0.556 difference of 0.148 and that sight was dead on at 45 feet. I am really satisfied, Cost of the Ruger front sight plus screw about $12.00.

Try it.

SS
Old 09-23-2018, 11:27 AM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
What distance are you shooting this shop keeper?

7 to 15 yards. At 10 yards, point of impact is an average of 2" to 2.5" low depending on ammo. Windage can be dead on with a lot of concentration, but if I shoot it quickly the muzzle pulls to the right on me.

Quote:
Get a gunsmith to either replace the front with a blue front sight . . .
I'm tempted to file the front sight to find the elevation I want, then pay a gunsmith to install a proper height drift adjustable front blade.

Last edited by chicharrones; 09-23-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:35 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Bearcats shoot low, at my usual 50 feet, using standard 6 o'clock. 12 o'clock hold works, though. I don't file on fixed sights, that's only good for one distance anyway. I just remember my sight pictures.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:27 PM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
My Bearcats shoot low, at my usual 50 feet, using standard 6 o'clock. 12 o'clock hold works, though. I don't file on fixed sights, that's only good for one distance anyway. I just remember my sight pictures.

What makes 12 o'clock hold difficult in my situation is that my typical target is a 2.5" in diameter. Splitting that sized target in half means I only have 1.25" above center.

Since my Bearcat hits 2" to 2.5" low, aiming high to counter that drop means the target is visually blocked by the gun.