Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:27 PM
DrRJP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Look who's torquing

I've read in several places about applying a proper amount of torque to the takedown bolts but I never found out how much torque (in ft. lbs.) should be applied to each.

Of course, I could take it to a gunsmith and ask him to torque it (which he would probably do for free).

How many of you simply hand-tighten the suckers?
Old 09-14-2017, 07:38 AM
BillMelater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRJP View Post
I've read in several places about applying a proper amount of torque to the takedown bolts but I never found out how much torque (in ft. lbs.) should be applied to each.

Of course, I could take it to a gunsmith and ask him to torque it (which he would probably do for free).

Torque on any gun is done in inch pounds not ft lbs. Most is not above 30 In. Lbs. If you plan on doing any work on your gun buy an inch pound torque wrench called The Fat Wrench for around $40. You can hand tighten if you like but some aspects of the 10/22 TD like the forarm are torque sensitive and different torques will affect accuracy.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:02 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:

On the TD just follow the instructions in the manual for the adjustment ring and then if you have to click it a few more times if it's not a tight fit. I torque my action and forearm screws to right around 20 in/lbs, the same as I do on all my non TD's. Definitely not something you need a gunsmith for. As mentioned above get a Fat Wrench, it's good to have and will let you get repeatable torque every time. Until then just get the action screw hand tight and then apply a little bit of extra pressure, don't crank it as tight as you can. The forearm you can do the same although it doesn't seem to be effected as much by different torque settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2017, 10:07 AM
r_olsen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I didn't have a torquewrench the first year I owned a TDT. Then I got one. Now I always use it when assembling the gun. If you care about accuracy, it is as necessary as a triggerjob.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:42 AM
ElrodCod
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I just crank it down.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:24 AM
rjf415

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just hand tight the sucker...
Old 07-02-2018, 06:50 AM
supersharp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've always just hand tighten mine. I've used a torque wrench enough that I get to feel of where it should be. If you end up buying a torque wrench you can play with this setting" inch-pounds" to see what suits the accuracy. For me it's never been that critical you will develop a feel if you do it enough.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:40 PM
DrRJP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersharp View Post
I've always just hand tighten mine. I've used a torque wrench enough that I get to feel of where it should be. If you end up buying a torque wrench you can play with this setting" inch-pounds" to see what suits the accuracy. For me it's never been that critical you will develop a feel if you do it enough.

Thanks for the tip. I usually tighten things by hand also but add one or two extra twists beyond hand tight. What's interesting is that the 10/22 manual also suggests tightening the barrel nut two to three turns beyond hand tight. Too bad they didn't have any recommendations for the take down screws. I think I'll ask my local gunsmith to tighten them to spec with a torque screwdriver to see if it makes any difference.

While we're on the subject of the take down screws, what's your take on DIY "free-floating" the barrel?
Old 07-09-2018, 05:04 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
DrRJP

You wrote:
"What's interesting is that the 10/22 manual also suggests tightening the barrel nut two to three turns beyond hand tight."

So words matter.

The manual states to turn the barrel nut 1-2 clicks beyond hand tight.
That is is not the same as 1-2 turns.

We don't want anyone to be getting out their pipe wrenches.

Smooth
Old 09-11-2018, 09:31 AM
Rob72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Thanks for the tip. I usually tighten things by hand also but add one or two extra twists beyond hand tight. What's interesting is that the 10/22 manual also suggests tightening the barrel nut two to three turns beyond hand tight. Too bad they didn't have any recommendations for the take down screws. I think I'll ask my local gunsmith to tighten them to spec with a torque screwdriver to see if it makes any difference.

While we're on the subject of the take down screws, what's your take on DIY "free-floating" the barrel?
Most compact, easy-to-use tool for the job:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Purchasing the 4Nm tool sets you in right at 35.4 inch/pounds. I bored the bolt holes in my Hogue stock, and resin-set bronze pillar bushings, then used glass-bedding to take the slop out. 1/2" easily out to 50 yards with anything, a bit less with ammo it likes. Barrel is a Pike's stainless.