Adjusting the Anschutz 5109 Trigger on a 1712 - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:16 PM
elh0102

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)

After messing around with this trigger some more, I have additional respect for it. With the light J&P spring, and after adjusting the sear engagement also, I can get a very safe and repeatable pull of around 10 ounces. Without a separate first stage adjustment, it only accounts for about 2 ounces of the total, but it is a very good final release. The first stage works well in dispersing the pull weight if you are working in the 2+ pound range, which is required for the class in which the rifle is designed to compete, so I'm not complaining.

I found that the sear engagement of mine was a good bit more conservatively adjusted than necessary, which I understand, given current product liability issues. I didn't keep a record, but after going back and forth a bit, I estimate it had a half turn of engagement that was not really necessary for safety, which is a lot. That was surprising to me, because I felt no creep in the second stage letoff, probably a testament to some good hard parts and proper polishing. So I would encourage some experimentation with the sear engagement, and you might be very pleased with the results. Just be sure the engagement is sufficient to hold under some reasonable bumping around, as described above.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:56 AM
squirrel shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
triggers

Thanks Sophia for the great info on the 5109 trigger. Is there much difference in adjusting the 5098 trigger?
Old 08-15-2016, 12:47 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
The old spring has to be compressed (small screwdriver blade,etc)(and watch you eyes-it could go orbital)to the best of your ability and forced out.I hesitate to remove the screw as it can end up being cross threaded on reinstallation.The new spring will go in very easily,as it takes so little to compress it.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:40 PM
jps2486

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I played with my trigger today. As received, it was 2 pounds 9 oz. The first stage was about 16 oz. Backing out the screw only allowed me to reduce the total trigger pull by about 3 oz. I haven't messed with the sear engagement yet. I fully expected a better quality trigger than this one. I feel that it is rather unsophisticated for a $2500 rifle. My airgun triggers are much better. I'd like to get the pull down to a total of 8 oz, but it appears that I'll have to do some major surgery on this. I would almost classify this trigger as unadjustable.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:28 PM
jps2486

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by South_Pender View Post
Pump .22s (or Sophia or anyone), I just got the spring set from J&P and am unclear just where to put it. Do you simply back the screw labeled "weight" in Sophia`s excellent tutorial above right out (i.e., temporarily removing it completely) and replace the spring that`s there with the lighter one, then putting that weight screw back to about where it was previously?
Can you please provide information as to where you got the spring(s) and any other information? Thank you. I think spring replacement will go a long way to getting this right.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:50 PM
sako

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps2486 View Post
Can you please provide information as to where you got the spring(s) and any other information? Thank you. I think spring replacement will go a long way to getting this right.
https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/ANSCHU...-SET-p72163231

Seems expensive for three springs. However, they're tapered at one end and work very well. Tapered end positions on top of the little post with the adjustment screw in the un-tapered end. I use the middle spring mostly. Lightest spring will get down to 12oz is safely.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:58 AM
jps2486

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I installed a J&P trigger spring in place of the OEM part. I used the lightest one of the three supplied. That brought the 1st stage pull from 16 to 4 oz. Then I adjusted the sear engagement. The total trigger pull is now 10-12 oz. Hammer test was successful.