Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:56 PM
splattermark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tanfoglio Appeal bullpup

I just picked up this neat little .22 mag but when searching for more info on the gun came to realize there's not a lot out there. I figured I'd contribute what I could, so here's some photos of the internals and my opinion of it so far.

It looks a lot like a G22, but takedown is way less complicated. There's no screws to mess with, instead you pull the charging handle out then push three pins with a punch or screwdriver and just pull the upper off the lower receiver. That leaves you with this:

There's three guide rods, two stainless on each side of the bolt then a third blued rod in the center upon which the recoil spring rides. They both come out without any tools, the center is held in by spring tension while the outer rods just have a slight friction fit into the receiver. After that you just unscrew the long telescoping bolt weight from right in front of where the charging handle is normally located, and the bolt can be removed as well. From this side you can also get an idea of how the trigger transfer bar system works:

As far as I can tell, that's really far as you'd need to strip it down for cleaning.

It's pretty light at 4.8 lbs unloaded, and measures just over 26" if you remove the stock spacers and useless plastic "brake" that comes installed. I've only put about 80 rounds through it so far, a mixture of CCI Maxi Mag and old PMC Predator, but it shot both without fail. Trigger weighs about 6.6 lbs as per my scale, which is on the heavy side but it has a VERY short takeup/reset and breaks clean so it's not at all bad for a bullpup. The sights are functional but not great so I don't know what it's really capable of accuracy wise, although using the irons it did blow up soda cans at about 50 yards without fail. Since then I've removed the rear sight to mount a Nikon 1-4x as low and as far back as possible on the weird FAMAS-esque carry handle rail, so we'll see how it shoots when I have some free time and it's not 100+ degrees outside
Old 06-28-2016, 12:15 AM
PGW_Steve

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I picked one up recently and find it to be a fun shooter. I've noticed my brass has a pretty nasty bulge from the feed ramp area, I've yet to have a rupture that I could detect. I've only shot CCI Maxi Mags out of it, and have quite a few jams, it tends to push the round up above the chamber. Last outing that was happening every two or three shots. Going to clean it and see if it repeats, try some of the other mags, and perhaps some other ammo. With a 2-7 Nikon RF scope, it's about 2" groups at 50.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:46 PM
splattermark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGW_Steve View Post
I picked one up recently and find it to be a fun shooter. I've noticed my brass has a pretty nasty bulge from the feed ramp area, I've yet to have a rupture that I could detect. I've only shot CCI Maxi Mags out of it, and have quite a few jams, it tends to push the round up above the chamber. Last outing that was happening every two or three shots. Going to clean it and see if it repeats, try some of the other mags, and perhaps some other ammo. With a 2-7 Nikon RF scope, it's about 2" groups at 50.
I'm up to about 300 rounds now and still having good luck with mine, no FTFs yet using Maxi Mag FMJ and my old stockpile of PMC Predator JHP. I even got some CCI .22 WRF I picked up by mistake nearly a decade ago to cycle through it just fine, although I've only tried about 30 rounds of that so far.

I did notice a slight bulge on some of the WMR cases I recovered, although mine was only on the head/rim area rather than on the case wall like I think you're describing. Oddly enough not a single WRF had the bulge, I guess maybe because they're weaker?

Mine seems to shoot about like what yours does, my optic is a 1-4x Nikon M223 scope. The one major complaint I do have about this gun is that the factory rail is so high that there's a LARGE point of impact shift at varying ranges. I started my zero at 7 yards to get it on the paper then moved back to 25, which caused my shots to go from the bullseye to all the way off an 8.5"x11" paper target! The same thing happened again when I went from a 25 yard zero to 50. There's clearly too much offset between the sight axis and the bore, I've heard similar but less severe complaints from Tavor owners since they have almost 4" between most optics and their bore axis. I think I'm gonna remedy this problem by cutting off the factory rail and replacing it with a long piece of picatinny mounted at a much lower height over bore, which will also help solve the chin weld issue. No idea why they went so dang high with the sights and rail, honestly

Last edited by splattermark; 07-17-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2018, 09:31 PM
M92pv4u
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Did you end up cutting the rail off how did it turn out ?