How Do CZ, MR and Volquartsen get their .22 mag semiautos to work when Ruger couldn't - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-21-2018, 09:27 AM
fbwap

Join Date: 
Feb 2010
Posts: 
9
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How Do CZ, MR and Volquartsen get their .22 mag semiautos to work when Ruger couldn't



Log in to see fewer ads
Looking for a technical explanation. I want to get a lightweight reliable semi-auto. I am not going with MR because of the 40 grain limitation. Volquartsen has advantages over the CZ but is expensive. How reliable and safe is the Volquartsen with the aluminum receiver (vs the steel receiver)? Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-22-2018, 01:50 AM
redear

Join Date: 
Oct 2011
Posts: 
603
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The cz512 has an aluminum and polymer receiver and the aluminum is 7075 t6 which is the hardest toughest aluminum there is I think, I have never heard of anyone blowing one up or encountering wear inside the receiver, I know I haven't seen any wear whatsoever after maybe 750 rounds. My cz512 with the regular length barrel and beech stock is pretty lightweight, very lightweight without a scope. there is also a carbine model if you can find one. the prettiest 512's are the American models with the walnut stock, they come with regular length barrels only I think and may be a tad heavier than mine, don't know for sure. I would go with the cz 512 with a recent manufacture date so you can get a lighter trigger than what a lot of us got several years ago. a lot of new in the box cz rifles tend to be up to 3 years old unless you go with a higher volume seller.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-22-2018, 02:02 AM
redear

Join Date: 
Oct 2011
Posts: 
603
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
On accuracy with the cz, most of us get excellent accuracy, I would put it up against any 22mag. semi in it's price range. the trigger has been less than desirable with the travel and weight of the pull but like I said cz made some changes a year or so ago to the triggers and also the recoil spring on the bolt which doesn't seem to make a difference but the trigger would. I would dry fire any 512 before I bought it to see if it had the newer 3lb trigger, the older one will be at least 4lbs any probably have more travel. excellent hunting gun.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 03-22-2018, 07:25 AM
hookedon1911s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Mar 2015
Location: 
Monroe, Ga
Posts: 
99
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I read somewhere that MR stated that it was very important to not alter the weight of the bolt handle. They added weight here to eliminate the cycling issues Ruger was having with their 10/22 wmr. I know my MLR-1722M shoots great and I have never had issues with it from the day I bought it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-22-2018, 07:34 AM
gmd1950's Avatar
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Dec 2006
Location: 
Mebane, NC
Posts: 
53,022
TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
From the Brno 611 to the CZ 512 the Czechs have tamed the .22wmr well, how? No idea but they work and are accurate to boot.
__________________
https://mostlyrimfire.com
NRA Patron Member/GOA Life *Esse Quam Videri Ya'll*
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-22-2018, 11:02 AM
Airtool
Veteran

Join Date: 
Nov 2016
Location: 
Land of the shining mountains
Posts: 
97
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Vintage?

Marlin had a successful 22WMR semiauto, the 922M. Mine are reliable and reasonably accurate, with respect to the widely held opinions of the inherent acccuracy of the WMR.

"Lightweight" is can be subjective, but there are some very nice examples available (mint with box) from time to time, and they're many dollars lighter!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-22-2018, 01:20 PM
fbwap

Join Date: 
Feb 2010
Posts: 
9
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtool View Post
Marlin had a successful 22WMR semiauto, the 922M. Mine are reliable and reasonably accurate, with respect to the widely held opinions of the inherent acccuracy of the WMR.

"Lightweight" is can be subjective, but there are some very nice examples available (mint with box) from time to time, and they're many dollars lighter!
I had not noticed the Marlin. I will look at that one, too. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-22-2018, 09:28 PM
hunter's Avatar
hunter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2003
Location: 
Michigan
Posts: 
106
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was looking for a semi auto 22 Mag last year and looked at the same options. I wound up buying a CZ 512 Tactical in 22 Mag. It has run any ammunition that I have put through it with no problems. The accuracy is good too.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-22-2018, 11:26 PM
rjferber's Avatar
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2012
Location: 
Omaha, NE
Posts: 
1,124
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbwap View Post
Looking for a technical explanation. I want to get a lightweight reliable semi-auto. I am not going with MR because of the 40 grain limitation. Volquartsen has advantages over the CZ but is expensive. How reliable and safe is the Volquartsen with the aluminum receiver (vs the steel receiver)? Thanks
Just an FYI on the MR - "The recoil springs in these rifles are meant to cycle with 40-50grn loads, and 30grn loads often do not cycle properly. Rather than "guaranteeing" their rifle will cycle with any WMR load out there (i.e., the warranty around sure-function), they basically say "this rifle is not meant to cycle with 30grn ammo, so if it DOESN'T cycle, we're not obligated to fix it". If the rifle wouldn't cycle properly with 40-50grn ammo, they WOULD however, warranty the rifle and willingly correct the issue".

I have a MLR-1722 and have used both CCI & Hornady 30gr VMax ammo with no problems, however tend to shoot more 40 gr as I have a better supply.

I also have a CZ 512 and it also works with all types of ammo. I like both rifles for different reasons, but if I had to choose . . . it would be the CZ 512. Both are accurate as far as semiauto 22 WMR's go for my requirements.

Sorry no experience with the Volquartzen products.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-22-2018, 11:51 PM
bbqncigars
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
May 2016
Location: 
Iowa
Posts: 
43
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You might want to check out the CMR-30. I have never shot one, but my PMR-30 is extremely light and the trigger is a joy. Availability on either can be hit or miss.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-23-2018, 12:22 AM
toivo's Avatar
toivo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2005
Location: 
New York State
Posts: 
2,444
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtool View Post
Marlin had a successful 22WMR semiauto, the 922M. Mine are reliable and reasonably accurate, with respect to the widely held opinions of the inherent acccuracy of the WMR.

"Lightweight" is can be subjective, but there are some very nice examples available (mint with box) from time to time, and they're many dollars lighter!
I had one of those -- got it very cheap because it had some bad marring on the barrel, like somebody had dripped battery acid on it or something. Functioned fine, though. I foolishly let it go.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-23-2018, 12:42 PM
fbwap

Join Date: 
Feb 2010
Posts: 
9
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK. I am going to take some guesses to get a technical discussion going

Some guesses:
- Ruger wanted to not increase the size of the receiver so they used Tungsten for the bolt rather than steel. The tungsten broke too easily.
- Magnum research also has a Ruger-sized receiver? so they vent some gas so they can get away with a smaller steel bolt. A light weight bullet will leave the barrel too quickly for their action to have enough energy to cycle.
- CZ and the other don't have to worry about bolt size so they can get enough mass with steel.

My other concern is safety. Will having an all metal wrap-around receiver (ala Ruger, MR, Volquartsen) be safer in the event of a kaboom? Would steel protect you where aluminum would not? Blowback does not bother me for .22LR, probably because I did not even think about kabooms until I started thinking about bigger bullets with blowback actions, and I have shot my 10/22 for years without a problem. I suppose the only thing that could possibly cause a problem is if the bolt return spring failed. Since the spring is on a rod or in a hole in the bolt, I can't even imagine a spring failure ever being a problem. I assume nothing could prevent a kaboom if a barrel was obstructed.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-23-2018, 09:43 PM
jagerman

Join Date: 
Jul 2007
Posts: 
1,488
TPC Rating: 
50% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbwap View Post
Looking for a technical explanation. I want to get a lightweight reliable semi-auto. I am not going with MR because of the 40 grain limitation. Volquartsen has advantages over the CZ but is expensive. How reliable and safe is the Volquartsen with the aluminum receiver (vs the steel receiver)? Thanks
Have used superlite rifles(aluminum receiver) never had any wear or any other issue with volquartsen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redear View Post
The cz512 has an aluminum and polymer receiver and the aluminum is 7075 t6 which is the hardest toughest aluminum there is I think, I have never heard of anyone blowing one up or encountering wear inside the receiver, I know I haven't seen any wear whatsoever after maybe 750 rounds. My cz512 with the regular length barrel and beech stock is pretty lightweight, very lightweight without a scope. there is also a carbine model if you can find one. the prettiest 512's are the American models with the walnut stock, they come with regular length barrels only I think and may be a tad heavier than mine, don't know for sure. I would go with the cz 512 with a recent manufacture date so you can get a lighter trigger than what a lot of us got several years ago. a lot of new in the box cz rifles tend to be up to 3 years old unless you go with a higher volume seller.
Lighter but still bad triggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter View Post
I was looking for a semi auto 22 Mag last year and looked at the same options. I wound up buying a CZ 512 Tactical in 22 Mag. It has run any ammunition that I have put through it with no problems. The accuracy is good too.

Triggers are bad though

Volquartsen is the best option the only thing any of these other guns have over them is they are cheaper. Accuracy,trigger, use of all bullet weights and everything else. Buy once cry once volquartsens are worth it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x