best shooting .22 mag ? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:37 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

This is an older thread and I'm assuming that the OP has already made his purchase by now, or if not has put it on hold. Anyway, if not, maybe there is a new contender about ready to enter the competition, namely TIKKA T1X.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:22 PM
PaPow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah i`m late to the 22mag party here myself too... i wondered the same thing on what he bought.

I`ve got an older marlin 22mag, model 982VS w/heavy barrel which is stainless with the factory black nylon stock, and curious as to how it stacks up against some i`ve seen in this post. It seems to shoot extremely accurate out to 150yrds.

I stopped shooting it for awhile because ammo dried up for a time. Since we started seeing 22mag ammo come back around a little, i buy every box of it i can find. Some places are charging $30 for the 50rd boxes, which i avoid buying. If i find it for $15 or lower per box of 50rds, then i`ll buy it up.

See great deals on the internet for ammo, just cant have it shipped to me anymore. Now has to go thru a FFL dealer, and the dealers around here frown on us for having ammo sent to them just to give it to you. They always give you that look, "why didnt you buy it from us instead". Well, if you were selling it for the price i bought it on-line for, then i would be buying it from you..! Then comes the look of, now your gonna pay for that comment thru retaliation pricing.

Last edited by PaPow; 01-06-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:01 PM
Tripplebeards

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tried some hornady 30 g vmax today at a hundred yards out of my 22" ruger American rimfire 22 WMR at a hundred yards. I thought the Winchester HV varmint rounds were accurate when I shot a .698" group last week...the hornadys beet them. I shot a .323" group at a 100 yards and tried it again. The first two almost touched and I felt myself flinch and pull the third shot. Even with the flinch I shot a .640"

Old 01-18-2018, 05:11 PM
ironglow
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My experience has been spotty with the 22 mag. Back in the 70s I bought a couple Savage/Anschutz (really Anschutz) rifles. They were both very good, but I have a habit of passing guns to my son & grandsons after I shoot some game with them. After that I would pick up the odd 22 mag rifle now and then, hoping to equal the Anschutz rifles I had earlier. I even had a nice Marlin, but that wouldn't do it!

I know from experience ,the Mossy 640 was good with mags, but didn't run into one, so about the last 20 years I had no 22 mag rifle, because I couldn't match the Anschutz rifles.

Then a couple years ago I stopped by my LGS and he had just gotten in some Savage 93F, 22 mags base model. The price was so good, and with the accutrigger..I decided I would give the .22 mag another shot at it.
Surprise; I had a tack driver on my hands..and I believe it will shoot right in there with the Anschutz rifles I once had.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:13 PM
Drydigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I hunt with an older Kimber of Oregon sporter. Shoots Hornady V Max 30 gr with the best of em. Pleasure to take that gun for a walk.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:24 PM
Leftybolt
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I only have one .22 WMR rifle. Its a little older Savage 93GL, before Savage started tapping the recievers. I got it a trade deal and I didnt really want it. I got it with the a few inches of muzzle end rusted and pitted. So I decided it would suit my hunting needs with a shorter barrel, so I cut it somewhere between 17-18. I recrowned the muzzle, had the reciever drilled and tapped. HOLY COW! Its a little ammo picky but luckily she shoots CCI TMJ, HP, and Gamepoints outstanding. It actually shoots the Gamepoints the best! I never thoiht that cheap rifle woild shoot as well as it does. It was definately a sleeper.
I plan to take it out west this year another short range P-Dog rimfire rifle.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:45 AM
Guy
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Mine

The AMT Magnum Hunter. MOA with anything I shot through it. The only rifle I regret selling.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:00 PM
Panbolio

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought my CZ512 thinking of it as just a utility gun but it is more accurate than my CZ 455 and my old Marlin bolt gun. Surprised beyond belief. It loves CCI 40 JHP.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:22 PM
gunlover05

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
know this is an older thread, but like to chime in for a CZ452. I have a FS that shoots moa consistently with 30gr Vmax. Love that rifle.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:40 PM
300winmag
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Ruger 96/22 mag lever gun

With its replacement Green Mountain octagonal barrel my Ruger 96/22 mag lever gun is getting 1" to 1 1/4" groups at 50 yards with Hornady 30 gr. and a lousy trigger. Oncde the trigger is worked on the groups may tighten.

The Green Mountain octagonal barrel came chambered for .22 LR B/C the .22 WMR barrel was too long so I had the.22 LR barrel re-chambered and Bentwood Gunsmithing in Henderson, NV did a great job.

BTW, my rounds were sorted into groups of rim thickness with a Neal Jones rim measuring device. I highly recommend it.

"Notta too bad.", as F. Guido Sarducci used to say on SNL, notta too bad for a lever gun.

Last edited by 300winmag; 02-25-2018 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:05 PM
pdhunter
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panbolio View Post
I bought my CZ512 thinking of it as just a utility gun but it is more accurate than my CZ 455 and my old Marlin bolt gun. Surprised beyond belief. It loves CCI 40 JHP.
I second that - amazing
Old 03-07-2018, 08:18 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
RAR

Ruger American hands down is the best I have ever put my hands on not one issue and accurate as I would need any rifle to be.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:48 AM
ironglow
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am hearing great things from the RAR LR and Mags...and judging by the accuracy of my RAR .308..i am not at all surprised.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:18 PM
cvarcher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin 783 that time forgot

Boy reading all these posts make me sad that I sold off such a fantastic shooting rifle . I bought my Marlin 783 brand new back in the early 80s. The scope was nothing great just a 2-7 power with a 3/4" tube. I hot everything one shot with that gun. One day at the range I casually shot 3 times and when I went up to the target (100 yards away) there was 3 holes easily inside a dime. Just inside the bullseye. I guess because it was such a cheap gun no one would go out of there way to get one. Today its CZs, Rugers etc. But my Marlin was all Marlin, stock out of the box shooting like this. Nothing done to the trigger ,no barrel changed, no bedding,no high power scope. And at the time Winchester 40 gr super X was always the best performer out there. Don't see much of that ammo anymore.