Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:12 PM
huntschool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
457 American in house

My 457 American arrived today. I must say on opening the box I was impressed. I did not win the wood lottery but I darn sure did not lose it either. Tomorrow will be cleaning day as well as messing with the trigger. Its set at what many would consider light (I did not gauge it) by feel about 1.5-2 lbs. but it does have some creep. Since I am going to do the super clean on the barrel I will begin to try and get it where it has no creep and pull weight fits my needs/wants.

My scope is in house but 30mm rings might be here tomorrow or at worst Monday.

I have some questions for all you CZ folks who have fooled with the 457:

1. As to the trigger, how light have you tuned your trigger. I am looking for at worst, a 1 lb. pull. I do understand the trigger adjustment directions and they seem pretty straight forward.

2. Relevant to the rough feeling working the bolt, which I have, does "smoothing" out the stamped lettering on the base of the bolt pretty much clean that up. I have read on here that it helps but may not eliminate it.

3. The target supplied with the gun showed a 3 shot group dispersion shot at 50m at .23* inches (6mm). Have you found your gun shoots as well as the test target. They used RWS ammo but I am not sure which RWS ammo they used.

All in all I am impressed with the gun. It weighs in (on my bathroom scale) at a bit over 5 lbs. perhaps 5.5. Thats great for what I am looking for. The fit and finish are well within what I expected for this rifle. If it shoots as good as the target provided and allows me the trigger performance I desire its a winner in all respects. I intend to wring out the mechanical points shooting the 22 LR barrel it came with and then switch over to a Lilja 17 Mach II barrel just for giggles.

I should add.... based on above info and my "shooting it in" I may very well go after a 457 MTR just to have something else to play with.

Thanks in advance. Just wanted to share with the group.

Last edited by huntschool; 10-16-2019 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:22 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
My 457 varmint would only adjust down to 2.5 lbs. I had to shorten the spring it is now 9 oz.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:24 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Bruce, it sounds like it is going to be a very nice rifle, keep working that bolt to help smooth it out. I hope you can get it to shoot as nice as my 452 American,
my American can match my 455 Varmint shot for shot. Good luck and enjoy your new rifle........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2019, 09:59 PM
bs812

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congratulations.......look forward to hearing more as you get her out to shoot
Old 10-11-2019, 10:35 PM
huntschool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks guys.... I have my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtrialerguy View Post
My 457 varmint would only adjust down to 2.5 lbs. I had to shorten the spring it is now 9 oz.
dogtrialerguy

How much did you shorten it ?

Thanks

Last edited by huntschool; 10-11-2019 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
You know come to think about it on that particular gun I put a weaker spring in it of the same diameter. You need an assortment of springs to get it right. I bought an assortment from wolfe spring co.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:20 PM
SLS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Get the spring from Yodave. My trigger is at about 12 oz.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:47 PM
huntschool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtrialerguy View Post
You know come to think about it on that particular gun I put a weaker spring in it of the same diameter. You need an assortment of springs to get it right. I bought an assortment from wolfe spring co.
dogtrialerguy
OK.... Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
Get the spring from Yodave. My trigger is at about 12 oz.
SLS:

Which spring did you use ? So, all you did was change the spring and set the pull and creep with the new spring ? Does Yo Dave sell just the springs ?

Thanks

Pics will be forthcoming once I have it scoped and ready to go. Should be next week if all goes well. We are hunkered down for the night as we went from 80 deg. yesterday to frost warnings for over night tonight. Thats kinda a bugger for us here in Southernmost IL. This was not supposed to happen until tomorrow night so plants etc. had to be moved in the last hour..... Go figure......

Again, Thanks all.

Last edited by huntschool; 10-11-2019 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:30 AM
JDLalFleur

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntschool View Post
My 457 American arrived today. I must say on opening the box I was impressed. I did not win the wood lottery but I darn sure did not lose it either. Tomorrow will be cleaning day as well as messing with the trigger. Its set at what many would consider light (I did not gauge it) by feel about 1.5-2 lbs. but it does have some creep. Since I am going to do the super clean on the barrel I will begin to try and get it where it has no creep and pull weight fits my needs/wants.

My scope is in house but 30mm rings might be here tomorrow or at worst Monday.

I have some questions for all you CZ folks who have fooled with the 457:

1. As to the trigger, how light have you tuned your trigger. I am looking for at worst, a 1 lb. pull. I do understand the trigger adjustment directions and they seem pretty straight forward.

2. Relevant to the rough feeling working the bolt, which I have, does "smoothing" out the stamped lettering on the base of the bolt pretty much clean that up. I have read on here that it helps but may not eliminate it.

3. The target supplied with the gun showed a 3 shot group dispersion shot at 50m at .23* inches (6mm). Have you found your gun shoots as well as the test target. They used RWS ammo but I am not sure which RWS ammo they used.

All in all I am impressed with the gun. It weighs in (on my bathroom scale) at a bit over 5 lbs. perhaps 5.5. Thats great for what I am looking for. The fit and finish are well within what I expected for this rifle. If it shoots as good as the target provided and allows me the trigger performance I desire its a winner in all respects. I intend to wring out the mechanical points shooting the 22 LR barrel it came with and then switch over to a Lilja 17 Mach II barrel just for giggles.

I should add.... based on above info and my "shooting it in" I may very well go after a 457 MTR just to have something else to play with.

Thanks in advance. Just wanted to share with the group.
I have been really looking hard at this rifle for my newest squirrel rifle. How impressed are you with it over all?
Old 10-14-2019, 12:01 PM
huntschool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLalFleur View Post
I have been really looking hard at this rifle for my newest squirrel rifle. How impressed are you with it over all?
JDLalFleur:

So far I am impressed and thats not easy to do. The fitment of wood to metal is excellent. Though I feel like the amount of width of wood alongside the barrel is a bit much I am not going to complain. I would like to have had the forearm a bit slimmer at the top ie rounded into the barrel channel more but , well, its OK.

The grade of the wood, as I mentioned earlier, is about in the middle quality wise from what I have heard and seen pictures of on this forum.

The barrel cleaned up quite well yesterday and is as has been said a tight 22 bore. It scrubbed out well with less "gunk/stuff" then I had anticipated. The final run with the jag did not produce any feel of burrs or roughness in the bore. The test target supplied with the gun was shot on 8/8/2019 and shows a three shot group of 6 mm dispersion at 50 m shooting RWS ammo. If that will hold up or perhaps even improve with the high quality ammo I have it will be a squirrel killer.

The trigger on this gun, as you may know, is something different from CZ triggers of the past. Out of box it is quite crisp with no creep or over run. It is still a bit heavy for my desires but I will fix that as soon as I get a new set of angled hex wrenches, especially the tiny one that works on the trigger itself and the YoDave spring. I like my trigger pull to be under 1 lb.

For now, that is about all I can say. Scope rings will be in house tomorrow and we are expecting rain so I dont know that I will get to shoot it until Wednesday or so. I am having cataract surgery on Thursday so I will not be able to shoot until at least Monday according to my surgeon.

You should also know that I have a Lilja 17 Mach II barrel coming for this rifle. The change was my original idea for the purpose of this gun. I am going to shoot it a good bit with the 22 LR barrel just to get the feel of it and then swap out the barrel.

At this point just based on what is in hand I am very pleased with this rifle. However, as I am sure you know, to each his own on gun choices...… If you have other specific questions do not be afraid to ask.

JMHO

Last edited by huntschool; 10-14-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:32 PM
Lovemesomecz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I LOVE THE TRIGGER!! my 457 American is a decent shooter and continues to improve , I topped it with a Meuller scope and put 100 or so down the tube after getting it all adjusted ..... then BOOM ! my lady friend shot it and the rest they say is history !!! Id love to have that trigger in a 452 American !!! around 14-15 oz pull breaks like glass and 0 creep , did I mention I LOVE THIS TRIGGER ?! if I ever figure how to post pictures .......
Old 10-14-2019, 06:19 PM
JDLalFleur

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
JDLalFleur:

So far I am impressed and thats not easy to do. The fitment of wood to metal is excellent. Though I feel like the amount of width of wood alongside the barrel is a bit much I am not going to complain. I would like to have had the forearm a bit slimmer at the top ie rounded into the barrel channel more but , well, its OK.

The grade of the wood, as I mentioned earlier, is about in the middle quality wise from what I have heard and seen pictures of on this forum.

The barrel cleaned up quite well yesterday and is as has been said a tight 22 bore. It scrubbed out well with less "gunk/stuff" then I had anticipated. The final run with the jag did not produce any feel of burrs or roughness in the bore. The test target supplied with the gun was shot on 8/8/2019 and shows a three shot group of 6 mm dispersion at 50 m shooting RWS ammo. If that will hold up or perhaps even improve with the high quality ammo I have it will be a squirrel killer.

The trigger on this gun, as you may know, is something different from CZ triggers of the past. Out of box it is quite crisp with no creep or over run. It is still a bit heavy for my desires but I will fix that as soon as I get a new set of angled hex wrenches, especially the tiny one that works on the trigger itself and the YoDave spring. I like my trigger pull to be under 1 lb.

For now, that is about all I can say. Scope rings will be in house tomorrow and we are expecting rain so I dont know that I will get to shoot it until Wednesday or so. I am having cataract surgery on Thursday so I will not be able to shoot until at least Monday according to my surgeon.

You should also know that I have a Lilja 17 Mach II barrel coming for this rifle. The change was my original idea for the purpose of this gun. I am going to shoot it a good bit with the 22 LR barrel just to get the feel of it and then swap out the barrel.

At this point just based on what is in hand I am very pleased with this rifle. However, as I am sure you know, to each his own on gun choices... If you have other specific questions do not be afraid to ask.

JMHO
Thanks for the info! Sounds like for the money this is an excellent rifle thus far.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:27 AM
huntschool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
UPDATE:

Scope is on gun and about ready to shoot. I have one day, tomorrow, before the eye surgery an will try and get it out to shoot. I need to lower trigger pull and dont know if I can get it down enough for me to shoot it but I will give it a shot.. (pun) The shooting will likely only be at 25 yds. but what the heck.....

If the weather is good I'll be out there and there will be pictures.... Hang in there.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:01 PM
ricky9x22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
UPDATE:

Scope is on gun and about ready to shoot. I have one day, tomorrow, before the eye surgery an will try and get it out to shoot. I need to lower trigger pull and dont know if I can get it down enough for me to shoot it but I will give it a shot.. (pun) The shooting will likely only be at 25 yds. but what the heck.....

If the weather is good I'll be out there and there will be pictures.... Hang in there.
Sounds like the "Plan" is coming together! Keep us in touch and report back! Oh, and good luck tomorrow and wishing you a very speedy recovery!
Rick