Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:08 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Kimber 82 G

In short what can you guys tell me about this model as far as accuracy. I plan on shooting this 50 and 100 yds at club matches. And also how is the trigger and are they easy to work on. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:01 AM
No1_49er

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one in my collection, NIB. Nicely built, and a good weight for a target type rifle.
There's a brief story about the rifle here - http://www.gnewyear.com/files/M82story.pdf
Old 09-25-2019, 09:51 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Interesting article thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 11:53 AM
BobW.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I waited for a long time to buy a 82G, always wanted one but kept buying other rifles. Recently my local gun store got one in from an older guy (like me) to sell on consignment. Price got down to 550$ so I bought it. The previous owner or owners didn't take the best of care as far as scratches and nicks in the metal/stock, but a respectable rifle nonetheless. No rust or anything like that.
I may have a professional refinish the stock, I think the little gun deserves it. My first range trip was a bit of a disappointment. The trigger was still set at about 4 lbs and I was getting these weird groups at 50 yards. When I came back home and read on here about the first and second shot "Flyer".
I set the trigger at about 1-1/2 lbs and went back to the range last Sunday. I fired to sight'er shots then put in some Lapua Midas +. Got a 50 yard group about .150" very pleased.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:38 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Keep in mind, most of the CMP rifles had the IDIOT razor knife cut from someone who cut the bags open to do inventory.

For the price, they are gems and they are a piece of military training history, even though very few were used.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:13 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
lucky scouts , i learned on an early springfield 66B
Old 11-12-2019, 02:45 PM
BobW.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm starting to think these Kimber 82G's got a bad wrap. The two I own are extremely accurate. They both like to be fired several sighter shots before beginning a 5 shot group. Thus far, the Lapua Midas+ is the most accurate ammo.
I haven't really tried to do anything serious with the Eley Tennx as yet.
I've been looking for some Wolf Match made in Germany, hard to find.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:33 AM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobW. View Post
I'm starting to think these Kimber 82G's got a bad wrap. The two I own are extremely accurate. They both like to be fired several sighter shots before beginning a 5 shot group. Thus far, the Lapua Midas+ is the most accurate ammo.
I haven't really tried to do anything serious with the Eley Tennx as yet.
I've been looking for some Wolf Match made in Germany, hard to find.
Every barrel is different, almost every person cleans differently (technique, frequency, solutions and equipment used). So, not about to say do this or do that. But, as you mentioned, mine likes to be shot a bit before shooting for actual score. The number of sighters required varies on how well I cleaned the barrel.

For years I used just a pull through weedeater line and it took 5-10 shots to be on target. Once in awhile I scrubbed the chamber and leade area which might bump up the number of fouling shots required to be back on point. When I really scrubbed the chamber and barrel, it might take a pile of shots!

Here's an interesting example. Had a scope on the gun as I'd taken it to a local BR match. Scrubbed the barrel well with a brush and some stuff that really cleans the gunk out. Just wanted to get it fouled in before the match. There was an old practice target hung on a backer so thought I'd see exactly how many shots it took to "come in".

[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/]

Bull on left was first 10 shots. First shot low right. Then they went everywhere! Moved to second bull and it started low left and then high right. As I shot it seemed to settle into a general area. That bull had 10 shots in it. Moved to third bull and it started stacking. Shot four shots and mentioned to a friend on the bench next to me how it was doing. He moved his gun to watch and told me to shoot the fifth shot and it stacked again. Then, he said to wait awhile to see if the gun would "wait" for me. So, we sat and talked for a few minutes...which, if you knew me, you'd realize talking is right up my alley! Anyway, decided to see if I could stick another shot into the same hole. Just missed! If you look, the hole is slightly open to the top left at 10 O'clock. But still, it's pretty decent.

Anyway, after such a heavy cleaning, it took approx 17-20 shots before it settled in. Normally would never clean that well between cards in a match, but I still shot a minimum of 12 foulers before starting for score. Had too many times I'd shoot 5 foulers, then a couple of sighters that would all be one hole. Halfway across the first row of the target I'd have one jump up for a 9. Realized that the barrel wasn't completely fouled so started just shooting more shots until I saw one jump and then the gun would do fine.

As to your comment on these being accurate, yes, they can be. Not all of course, but am not a person who judges an entire line of rifles by the performance of only one gun. I've owned three and all three shot awesome. Have shot two others that belonged to friends and both of them shot great too. One wasn't so hot at first but after I recrowned it, it really came alive.

Shoot mine mostly with aperture sights. Have posted targets here on how it does so no need to rehash. Have also shot it in formal BR matches with a scope and again, have posted how it did. I will say this, mine is not the most accurate rifle I've ever shot or owned. Owned a custom rifle that was out of this world...but as to factory rifles, my Kimber would shoot neck and neck with my 40x's, 52D's and Anschutz 54's. God knows the number of 200/20x's I've shot with the gun at 50 yards using aperture sights. Think I've shot four 200/20x's at 100 with the same sights using that rifle.

With a scope, the highest I've ever shot in a match is 250/21x. But here's the kicker...have never ever ever shot less than a 247 in any match with the gun. Well, other than once Kind of went crazy on the bolt and had a slam fire! Wasn't pretty...

These scores were shot at indoor ranges, outside in conditions or wherever I happened to be. Have won a few matches, and even placed pretty darn well in some very big matches against people much better than I am. Hope I remember this correctly, but think the highest I ever finished in a huge match was 8th at an indoor Nationals. Finished 4th in an outdoor Mid Atlantic Regional Meters match once, but there wasn't as many big name shooters at that match as at some of the others, so where you finish isn't so important if there's not a pile of big time shooters. JMO

Long story short, mine's a blast. Love the gun and think I got lucky when I bought it. But there's others out there that shoot just as well.

No, mine's not as good as the custom rifle I owned. Never shot a 750 in an IR match or a 2500 in an ARA match with the Kimber. But had a pile of 749's! The custom was one of those guns that made you giggle when the ammo was working...but overall, for a gun that costs less than a half a case of ammo, the 82g's aren't too shabby.

Enjoy yours for what it is.

Kenny

Last edited by kseatm; 11-15-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:47 PM
VertFish

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtrialerguy View Post
In short what can you guys tell me about this model as far as accuracy. I plan on shooting this 50 and 100 yds at club matches. And also how is the trigger and are they easy to work on. Thanks in advance.
It depends on what kind of match you are shooting. The 82-G is a position gun and is best suited used that way.

I have shot many 50 and 100 yard benchrest matches at my club. I own a pretty good shooting 82-G. In about 100 matches, I have seen 1 time when an 82-G won. It was a pretty windy day and my suspicion is the shooter got kinda lucky. The other 99 times, every 82-G on the line was smoked by at least 5 other Anschutz, Winchester, Remington and Turbo's on the line.

The 82-G is a nice affordable starter gun which will quickly be left at home after you tire of getting trounced and upgrade to a true bench gun.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:56 PM
Shorty123

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought 2 of them from CMP when available. Sold one and kept the better shooter. I also have a CMP 52D and a 40X. I enjoy shooting it but it comes in 2nd always to the other 2 rifles. Still I am happy with it for a 400 dollar price tag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2867.JPG (259.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-25-2019, 05:41 PM
Shamokinbob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
So I would say dont shoot it against anyone or in competition and you'll have the best one out there
Old 09-25-2019, 05:56 PM
Hanshi
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's not the same thing but my Kimber of Oregon 82 Custom Classic is astonishingly accurate. But then I don't shoot matches and a scope mounts the rifle. It's also a sporter and I've had it for over 35 years. .22LR top & .22 Hornet bottom.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:01 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
They are a great value. I donít rate them up with my 40XB, but for the money, the Kimber is a good rifle.

One RFC member has a modified Kimber 82G that will outshoot most 22lr rifles in existence.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:29 PM
IHMSA80x80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
One RFC member has a modified Kimber 82G that will outshoot most 22lr rifles in existence.
I know that guy!

≡✪≡
Old 09-25-2019, 08:51 PM
crankythunder

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have three of them and like them very much thank you....

Like I said, I have three of them and like them very much. they seam to fit me very well and the weight is just about perfect.

All three of them I have worked on extensively, lapping the tight spots out of the bore from the scope blocks while preserving a subtile choke at the muzzle (from the front sight block). during the manufacturing process, I think that drilling and tapping the barrel for the scope blocks and the front sight slightly constricted the bore. With patience and checking over and over again, using the Bill Calfee method, I was able to get good shooters out of them. I also bedded them which helped a lot too.

The worst shooter does about 0.35 to 0.40 at 50 yards with irons. I made that my iron sight rifle. Next one does about 0.25 to 0.30. I have a variable scope on as a position rifle.

Best one I have has a leupold 36 power that I use for benchrest. It approaches 0.22 inches at 50 yards with SK pistol match. It does not come close to my winchester 52c at 0.18 but it does not weigh sixteen pounds either. The winchester is my primary competition gun but the Kimbers are awesome fun guns and easy to cart around.

I also have a Savage Anschutz 64 and a Heinel single shot that are pretty good too!

Since position shooting is my thing I do not do benchrest that much so the kimbers are just about perfect. Every once in a while I get a itch to go fly hunting at 50 yards and that is when the topdog kimber comes out. For what it is worth, it is about a 5 inch shooter at 200 yards and over 10 inches at 260 yards. Have not played with it to tighten it up at those yardages.

When I first got them, I was dissapointed with the accuracy, good enough for position shooting but I wanted better. Was pleasantly surprised with the results I got from a good bedding job and also lapping the bore, concentrating on the tight spots.

Regards,
Crankster

www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com
www.ccrcrifleteam.weebly.com