Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:47 PM
russmcintire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Which Single six is this?

I have my fathers RUGER Single six .22 pistol. Complete with everything packaged when he got it. IE; 2 cylinders, instructions, warranty card, display tags, receipt of purchase, etc. The pistol is not safety converted and the markings are as follows:

Left Side:

RUGER .22 cal
Single-six

Right Side:

serial number: 398852

In looking at the serial number production tables here:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=318911

It looks like a magnum. How can I tell for sure?

I am new to this model and just want to find out more.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:39 PM
Danjet500

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
You have answered your own question. You stated the package contains both cylinders. This indicates a convertible. Check on the end of the cylinders for the serial number. It should be inscribed on the magnum cylinder. The serial number you gave is beyond the regular production dates for the magnum only guns. Your gun was shipped in 1964. However, with Ruger never say never. It may have been a late one. The only sure way to find out is to request the information from Ruger as to the original shipped configuration.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:26 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No mystery it is a convertible. Old model.

I hope it has been shot a few times, so; that you can do the same. You also need to be aware that when a blue steel revolver like this is stored in a cardbaord box, you can get some minor rusting when the paper hits the metal. That is an added reason to shoot and oil it up from time to time. I have mint 44 flat top. The first ruger CF revolver. I got it for cheap due to a little tiny speck of corrosion on the side of the barrel. You mention all that paper and stuff. It does not count for squat with any box damage. Good news for me, not necessarily for others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2019, 07:21 PM
russmcintire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In looking at the cylinders, I don't see a serial number on either one though I am certain they are the the original? In this year and the years proir, is there any possibility the 2 cylinders were not marked with the S/N?
Old 07-29-2019, 07:36 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
it was elctro pencil of last 3 digits and sure they could be unmarked. it maybe faint. Usually the model number is on the box. You are certain, then not a worry. it is an old model convertible. You have the gun with all the paperwork, exactly how it left the factory. What more could you possibly need?
Old 07-29-2019, 07:46 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by russmcintire View Post
In looking at the cylinders, I don't see a serial number on either one though I am certain they are the the original? In this year and the years proir, is there any possibility the 2 cylinders were not marked with the S/N?
If they are marked it will be the last 3 digits of the SN on the front face of the cylinder.
I have one that has only the 22lr marked, and one that has the magnum marked. I also had one once that had no markings at all on ether cylinder.. All of those guns where bought new.

So even though they say that they mark them doesn't mean they all get marked.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:19 PM
Pete44ru
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
86% (9)

Starting at about SN 319,500 Ruger started to make the OM Single Six Convertibles on the dedicated .22Mag-only RSSM frame, adding a LR cylinder.

These early convertibles had both cylinders fluted, with the gun's serial number STAMPED on the front of the LR cylinder, radially & close to the cylinder pin hole.

************************************************** ************************************************** *******

Later, the OM convertibles became a catalog/advertised item, and were made on the standard S-S .22LR frame with the addition of a .22Mag cylinder.

On these later OM convertibles, Ruger switched from stamping the gun's SN onto the front of the LR cylinder to the front of the .22 magnum cylinder. (the LR cylinder did not carry the gun's SN)

At approx. SN 364444, ILO of stamping, Ruger started to scratch the SN onto the front of the .22 magnum cylinders with an electric pencil.

After the change to the New Model in 1973, the flutes were discontinued on the magnum cylinders to differentiate them from the LR cylinders.

************************************************** ************************************************** **********

Any 2-cylinder S-S "convertible", that differs from the above descriptions/facts are most likely single cylinder models that have had an extra cylinder added after it left the factory.

Last edited by Pete44ru; 07-31-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:47 PM
Loke
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 1973 vintage new model with both LR and WMR cylinders. Both are fluted.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:29 AM
Danjet500

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loke View Post
I have a 1973 vintage new model with both LR and WMR cylinders. Both are fluted.
At the time of changing from the OM to the NM, Ruger used up existing stock of OM magnum cylinders. Once the supply was gone, all magnum cylinders were unfluted.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:59 PM
rem33
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjet500 View Post
At the time of changing from the OM to the NM, Ruger used up existing stock of OM magnum cylinders. Once the supply was gone, all magnum cylinders were unfluted.
I have a Single-Six Rugers web sight says was made in 1975, #63-75XXX both cylinders are fluted.

IIRC Ruger began using unfluted 22 mag cylinders about 1976

Last edited by rem33; 07-31-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:15 PM
Collects
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Couldn't Resist

Picked up a single six convertible at my LGS, it came with the box and all the paperwork, it was purchased new in October 1968 from a shop in California.
My question - the serial number is 19-50xx which appears to match my receipt and what I've found here.
My reason for posting on this forum, neither cylinder has a s/n etched or otherwise and the box shows it as a convertible and the paperwork has the same.