Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

how loud is a .22 mag

38K views 44 replies 34 participants last post by  BlackBat242 
#1 ·
question is just wat the title says, how loud is a .22 mag compared to say a regular velocity .22lr bullet. ive searched but only found how powerful it is...nothing in the way of sound.

thanks for the replies

#29 ·
22LR std velo is so 'quiet' that it encourages one to not use hearing protection, then after a while you dont notice the HV ammo is as loud either......
22Mag is a hunting round, no 'target grade Maggies are made, so is your purpose hunting? If so, it is a shot now and then which may not be 'too objectionable'. But if you are banging away at steel of a Sunday afternoon while the neighbors are out on the patio their peace may well be disturbed.
The LR is a 75yd max hunting round for small game to me. The Mag should be good for a max of 150yd but the groups at distance are, um....unremarkable for me. So it is a 100yd unless the target is about mid-sized varmint or larger at 125.
In the Way-Back we prefered 22Shorts for squirrels, not just because they were cheaper but because we could pop a squirrel and sit quiet and soon the others would come back out.
Stalking with the LR will make you a better hunter and if they dont annoy the neighbors its a dbl plus. I suggest being on good terms with neighbors if possible (35yrs on in the same place).

#32 · (Edited)
But a 22LR isnt 'quiet' from a pistol, so it only gets worse from there.
Something Ive noticed is people with tinnitus or needing/using hearing aids are the ones who often warn of protecting one's hearing.
Would think there has to be Db ratings 'out there' on this.

#33 ·
But a 22LR isnt 'quiet' from a pistol, so it only gets worse from there.
Something Ive noticed is people with tinnitus or needing/using hearing aids are the ones who often warn of protecting one's hearing.
Indeed.

I went target shooting the other day, forgot my ear protection when I left the house. Shot my .22 Heritage revolver with 4.25" barrel, Not too loud in .22 LR, I then shot my 9mm with a 4" barrel and while considerably louder than the .22 my ears were not ringing. I then swapped out my .22 LR cylinder in the Heritage for the. 22 Mag cylinder, loaded with 6 rounds of Hornady V-max and fired at the target. It was so much louder than my 9mm that after 6 rounds with no ear protection I felt like my ears were going to bleed, I never though any .22 caliber could be that loud. If I ever forget my hearing protection again I will not shoot it. I'm not sure exactly how much louder they are but the answer is significantly louder than the .22 LR.
I'd suggest that you already have significant hearing damage.

I've shot 22 magnum in open fields (significant because there isn't a lot of sound reflecting back at the shooter). It wasn't quite painful, but that doesn't mean it was safe. I've shot 22lr from a semi-automatic pistol in open fields. It also isn't safe.

I've shot 9mm from a five inch barrel without ear protection. It was painful.

#34 ·
I have profound hearing loss and wear some very expensive hearing aids that only partially compensate. Hearing loss caused by being stupid and not wearing ear protection while shooting. Listening to a random keyboard expert on the interwebs is perhaps not in one's best interest. One might be better served by researching "noise induced hearing loss," or hearing loss due to gunfire" on the web to see what professionals in the field have to say.

The following links may sorely test the attention span of some, but no pain, no gain:

https://www.earq.com/blog/guide-to-noise-induced-hearing-loss

https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/noise-induced-hearing-loss

http://dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/noise-induced-hearing-loss/

https://www.healthyhearing.com/report/7904-Shooting-sports-and-hearing

https://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/guns/2015/11/science-hearing-loss-shooters-and-hunters-and-how-prevent-it/#page-2

#40 ·
I guess I'm just a pussy but with exceptions as noted below, I won't shoot any gun without muffs now, even while shooting doves with a shotgun. Exceptions: shotgun or centerfire rifle while hunting deer or a shotgun when hunting ducks. I've actively shot guns for 50 years now and it seems ear sensitivity is more pronounced, especially during a Southern opening day dove shoot - the kind where one limits out in 30 minutes. In such situations, without protection, I experience a painful wince to the point it affects the shot.

#41 · (Edited)
Teens-early 20s: Worked on military jets without earpro - very small loss.
Early 20s to early 40s: Shot often without earpro - no noticeable loss.
Early 40s: went to indoor range with just foam plugs - Ouch, but no lasting damage.
Mid 50's: Attended a Motley Crue concert with pyrotechnics at indoor arena - EEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeforever.

I won't shoot any gun without earpro. I tell everyone who will listen.

-Jim

...and I don't even -like- Motley Crue.:mad:

#42 ·
As an old 81mm mortar crewman, I highly recommend wearing ear protection ALWAYS when shooting anything. In high school, I was a concert monger, too. After the Army, I spent 25 years or so shooting IPSC, with guys shooting really hot .38 Super loads in compensated pistols. Those suckers are LOUD.
I usually don't use hearing protection while hunting, but I've sure paid the price, when I popped a deer with a .44 Magnum, off to my left side. My left ear was pretty close to the revolver when it went off, and the tinnitus is no fun at all.
My hearing is still pretty good, thanks to always wearing protection at the range where I worked for awhile, but it's always worth it to wear protection. Always.

#43 ·
...and I don't even -like- Motley Crue.:mad:[/QUOTE]

It's a shame you don't like Motley Crue, they are a great band. I enjoyed them in concert.
Motorhead was the loudest concert I have been too, people were running away it was so loud, me included.
22 Mag is loud, loud enough to do some damage, always wear ear protection when you can

#45 · (Edited)
My father (now retired railroad police) taught me at the age of 8, when he taught me to shoot, to ALWAYS wear at least foam earplugs - ear muffs if shooting centerfire!

I'm 57, shot competitive .22lr indoor for 3 years in high school, worked around aircraft in the USMC for 8 years (also ran a test bench with loud equipment and shot regularly), etc.

I always wore hearing protection when shooting and every time I was in an environment too loud to hear normal-volume conversations from 5'+. USMC instructor: "If you have to raise your voice to talk to someone, put on your &^%^$#&* earmuffs!"

The VA is still amazed at how GOOD my hearing is.

My father has moderate hearing loss - mainly from not wearing hearing protection around running diesel locomotives.

Still - it is NEVER TOO LATE to start wearing hearing protection - save what you have left!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.